Typical 8 day cruise questions

Avril

I was just wondering a few things about a typical 8 day itinerary. :D I'm sailing on the Freedom for 8 days and am trying to organize myself a bit. On a typical 8 day cruise with Carnival, how many formal nights are there, what days are they, when is the big deck party, do they have more than 1 deck party, when is the Captain's Welcome Aboard Party, for past guests, when is the past guest party? I'm sure I'll have a few more but that's all I can think of for now.

Thanks!! :D

We're doing this itinerary in August. Let us know what you think. What excursions are you doing?

We've only booked 1 so far. We're doing the tour through Carnival that takes you by bus to the Pacific side of Panama then we're taking a small boat back through the Panama Canal. :D The tour is about 8 hours but I've heard there's really nothing else to do in Colon. I've already done a cruise through the Canal so it'll be fun to see it again and my Aunt has never seen it. :D We have no idea what we're doing in Cozumel and Limon yet. What excursions are you doing?

The Captain's party is usually the first sea day out - not sure about the 2nd - usually a sea day as well - there will be 2 formal nights.

As for the past guest party that varies from cruise to cruise depending on number of past guests, schedules, etc. You should get the invite in your cabin a day or 2 before the event.

As far as the deck party - usually only one - again this should be listed in the Capers - maybe someone with past capers can offer more info?

Have fun!

I am also going on this cruise for 8 days. I think I'm going to to the excursion in Costa Rica where you get on a river boat and it takes you through the rainforest. I haven't thought about one in Panama yet. I was just going to walk around and check it out. Is it that boring that you think we should also do an excursion there?

We haven't totally decided yet. We actually thought about staying on board in Panama.

We're hoping to do the dune buggy tour in Cozumel but thought about Nachi Cocom also.

My wife REALLY wants to do the Pontoon Jungle Ride in Limon but we've not looked at the boards yet to see what other people say about it.

What were you thinking of doing?

I was just wondering a few things about a typical 8 day itinerary. :D I'm sailing on the Freedom for 8 days and am trying to organize myself a bit. On a typical 8 day cruise with Carnival, how many formal nights are there, what days are they, when is the big deck party, do they have more than 1 deck party, when is the Captain's Welcome Aboard Party, for past guests, when is the past guest party? I'm sure I'll have a few more but that's all I can think of for now.

Thanks!! :D

We are going on our first 8 day cruise...we were told there are 2 formal nights.....they are night 2 and I think night 6.........hope someone has more info.......

What is the Whale Tail club, may I ask?

I'm on the Miracle for eight days in Jan. I understand that the only thing to do in Colon is the long tour things, not much happening in the town. In Limon, there is a bunch of stuff to do, Canopy tours, Rain Forest, Coffee Plantations etc. Our trip also goes to Belize. I've been there once, it was raining and I wasn't impressed. Maybe next time the weather will cooperate! I'll investigate tours and let you know.Judi

One last thought....It will probably be very hot in these area's in August so take lots of water with you, and wear some sort of hat. I was in Cozumel in March once and thought I was going to melt.

Judi

You are going on the trip I was originally going to go on. I wanted to see canal and in Costa Rica I was planning on white water rafting..... Guess I get to cruise again.

Changed my plans cause I got a great single rate on my total w/taxes and prepaid tips was $609 for a 7-day on Valor to w.carribean.

I'm going to to the excursion in Costa Rica where you get on a river boat and it takes you through the rainforest.

I haven't thought about one in Panama yet. Is it that boring that you think we should also do an excursion there?

That sounds interesting. :D I'll have to check that one out. Where did you see it?

As for Panama, it's not so much that it's boring (although it is), it's that it's very dangerous. :eek: You don't want to go around outside the secure port area by yourself (or only with a group of shipmates). It's best to do 1 of 3 things: stay in the secure port area, stay on the ship, or go on an excursion through Carnival.

That sounds interesting. :D I'll have to check that one out. Where did you see it?

As for Panama, it's not so much that it's boring (although it is), it's that it's very dangerous. :eek: You don't want to go around outside the secure port area by yourself (or only with a group of shipmates). It's best to do 1 of 3 things: stay in the secure port area, stay on the ship, or go on an excursion through Carnival.

The river boat through the rain forest is one of the excursions listed on Carnival's website.

We did the 8 day on the Freedom in March. The formal nights are Sunday and Friday. The Captain's party was on Sunday and the Past Guest Party was on Tuesday. They had two deck parties one on Monday and another on Thursday, although the one on Thursday was bigger I think. We had pretty high winds then, so not many people stayed outside long.

We did the 8 day on the Freedom in March. The formal nights are Sunday and Friday. The Captain's party was on Sunday and the Past Guest Party was on Tuesday. They had two deck parties one on Monday and another on Thursday, although the one on Thursday was bigger I think. We had pretty high winds then, so not many people stayed outside long.

what exactly does the Captain's party consist of? We are scheduled to have dinner at the supper club that night...will it effect that? Should we change the night we have dinner there? I hope that isn't a stupid question. I'm kinda clueless here! lol

what exactly does the Captain's party consist of? We are scheduled to have dinner at the supper club that night...will it effect that? Should we change the night we have dinner there? I hope that isn't a stupid question. I'm kinda clueless here! lol

Yes, you should change the night you are going to the supper club. Not because the Captains party will interfere, but because the Captains party is also the first elegant night (and lobster in the dining room).

We usually try to schedule the supper club the last day of the cruise.:)

Yes, you should change the night you are going to the supper club. Not because the Captains party will interfere, but because the Captains party is also the first elegant night (and lobster in the dining room).

We usually try to schedule the supper club the last day of the cruise.:)

I would agree.

I did that cruise last dec. In Colon we did a "Myfriendmario" tour- we have done lots of tours and it was one of the best, about 6.5 hours long, I think. We left promptly after docking, nice clean air conditioned bus. First stop was rain forest, very nice, don't miss. Then, we went to Fort Portebello (I think that was it). We stop along the way to see monkeys and sloths, saw them early in the forest as well. Drove through a U.S base, got lots of info and of course, spent an hour at the canal, watching ships go through the locks. Oh,e sat in front and he had free food and refreshments. He had fresh pineapple, pastries, cookies and drinks, like coca cola and panamanian beer. Yeah, I had like four beers, wife had two.

On the way back, he also gave away a few shirts and caps. All this was, I think $35pp, don't remember the price, google him.

In Costa Rica, did rafting with Danillo. He was cheaper than everyone else, much better than ship tour (longer rafting, less walking!). Our raft guide was also a proud member of the Costa Rica national rafting team. Very nice.

I did that cruise last dec. In Colon we did a "Myfriendmario" tour- we have done lots of tours and it was one of the best, about 6.5 hours long, I think. We left promptly after docking, nice clean air conditioned bus. First stop was rain forest, very nice, don't miss. Then, we went to Fort Portebello (I think that was it). We stop along the way to see monkeys and sloths, saw them early in the forest as well. Drove through a U.S base, got lots of info and of course, spent an hour at the canal, watching ships go through the locks. Oh,e sat in front and he had free food and refreshments. He had fresh pineapple, pastries, cookies and drinks, like coca cola and panamanian beer. Yeah, I had like four beers, wife had two.

That sounds AWESOME! I would love to do that, especially at the price you said... Did you book this through the Carnival website? If not, can you tell me where to go??

:D

I am also going on this cruise for 8 days. I think I'm going to to the excursion in Costa Rica where you get on a river boat and it takes you through the rainforest. I haven't thought about one in Panama yet. I was just going to walk around and check it out. Is it that boring that you think we should also do an excursion there?

Unless you are just looking to do some souveneir shopping at the pier - Colon is the only port I've ever been to where I'd tell you this is not a good idea. Nicely put, Colon is the worst slum I've ever seen. :( I actually count Panama as among my favorite places, though - once you get out of Colon the country completely changes and is very much worth seeing. Panama City and Colon are like night and day and the canal is one of those "i can't believe i saw the Panama Canal" type experiences.

That sounds AWESOME! I would love to do that, especially at the price you said... Did you book this through the Carnival website? If not, can you tell me where to go??

:D

Book through CCL/ No way ! Google the name my friend mario and 'Danillo rafting tour'.

A big difference between CCL and Danillo- Danillo drove us to the river to raft. CCL tour bus drop people at top of hill and they had to walk a loooong wa down. Also, Danillo tour had us raft past the highway bridge, CCL tour ended at bridge. Costa Rica and Panama are incredibly beautiful. All I hear people say is how wretched Colon is, but I really wouldn't know as the tour left Colon promptly and we were soon in a rain forest looking at things like monkeys, sloths, wood cutter ants and hearing things like Toucan birds. I have been on about 15 cruises, been all over the carrib and Panama makes you feel like you are far from home (you are!). It is pretty exotic looking and if you stay on the ship, you are missing the highlight of the cruise. Oh, and the canal is very fascinating.

The Captain's party is usually the first sea day out - not sure about the 2nd - usually a sea day as well - there will be 2 formal nights.

As for the past guest party that varies from cruise to cruise depending on number of past guests, schedules, etc. You should get the invite in your cabin a day or 2 before the event.

As far as the deck party - usually only one - again this should be listed in the Capers - maybe someone with past capers can offer more info?

Have fun!

Thanks!! :D Anyone else hear (or know of) either the same thing or anything diffferent?

I will have tons of fun!! :D

What is the Whale Tail club, may I ask?

The Whale Tail Club is an unofficial club of people who love Carnival!! :D It's named after the funnel on Carnival's ship that's shaped like a whale's tail.

The river boat through the rain forest is one of the excursions listed on Carnival's website.

Oh, ok, I'll have to have a look at that one. It sounds really interesting and a lot of fun!! :D

Hey guys, you will have a great time. BRING SUNSCREEN! There are 2 formal nights, if you want to call them that. First is Captains party on Sunday, and 2nd is on Friday. No one on our ship was dressed up too much. Bummer, I thought it would be a more mature crowd. They were older people, average age about 45 and a lot of foreign speaking, but not elegant guests. We never saw the Captain, went to the party but never saw him to get a photo of him. We didn't do an excursion in Cozumel (9th visit) but we did book the train, boat and bus tour in Costa Rica and the 2 Oceans by Railroad through CCL. Highly recommend these tours. We saw so much and felt very safe. We were taken to plenty of clean, new restrooms along the way and had opportunites to get food and drinks. Several boards have said otherwise. I don't recommend walking about on your own in either places. Several of the staff cautioned us not to venture out, lock all jewelry in safe and don't take passports off. Staff was very aloof, we didn't think they like the 4 sea days. Sun very intense, I never burn but I'm starting to peel for the 2nd time:o Any questions, just ask.

Archived