how is the food quality on longer sailings?

urquie

specifically a 2 week south america cruise from argentina to chile. i'm wondering how fresh the perishable food is, especially the produce, towards the end of the cruise? it doesn't seem like there will be many re-stocking points around the horn.;)

Santiago is a major restocking point--plenty of very good vegs and fruit are grown in Chile ( a lot sold in the supermarkets in Calif.)--also I have personally seen NCl bringing on many containers of food in Santiago when we cruised

from San Fran to Santiago for 18 days.

Big Green

Santiago is a major restocking point--plenty of very good vegs and fruit are grown in Chile ( a lot sold in the supermarkets in Calif.)--also I have personally seen NCl bringing on many containers of food in Santiago when we cruised

from San Fran to Santiago for 18 days.

Big Green

If the cruise ended in Santiago, it would seem likely they would restock for the next cruise. But what impact would that have had on your cruise? I ask because I am not so sure they restock at all during two week cruises. I do not know for sure, but I somehow got the impression from an Executive Chef onboard my last 13-day cruise that they did not restock, at least on a cruise starting and ending in the USA. That would also explain why they occasionaly run out of some items (?) Just a guess on my part.

More to the OP's point, I did not notice any drop in quality of produce on a 13-day trip. I have no idea how they keep this stuff fresh if they do not restock. I did notice them running out of some small items.

I had noticed more of a problem with the supply of fresh fruit and vegetables on a 2 week Baltic Capitals cruise starting and ending in Dover than I did on a 2 week South America cruise.

Remember, you're in the height of the summer growing season in South America.

I had noticed more of a problem with the supply of fresh fruit and vegetables on a 2 week Baltic Capitals cruise starting and ending in Dover than I did on a 2 week South America cruise.

Remember, you're in the height of the summer growing season in South America.

That's good to know, and for me, very timely. I will be taking the Baltics cruise in three weeks.

That's good to know, and for me, very timely. I will be taking the Baltics cruise in three weeks.

I took my Baltic cruise several years ago on the Dream, which of course was and older, smaller ship...and perhaps not designed with sufficient food storage facilities for a long cruise. One of the newer ships might not have that problem, but I suspect the departure port might have something to do with it.

If the cruise ended in Santiago, it would seem likely they would restock for the next cruise. But what impact would that have had on your cruise? I ask because I am not so sure they restock at all during two week cruises. I do not know for sure, but I somehow got the impression from an Executive Chef onboard my last 13-day cruise that they did not restock, at least on a cruise starting and ending in the USA. That would also explain why they occasionaly run out of some items (?) Just a guess on my part.

More to the OP's point, I did not notice any drop in quality of produce on a 13-day trip. I have no idea how they keep this stuff fresh if they do not restock. I did notice them running out of some small items.

i guess my point was they had plenty of fresh food on the 18 day cruise-- we restocked in Acapulco--when we arrived in Santiago they were bringing on many containers of food for the next cruise--they were sitting on the pier--they head chef on the Spirit told me Santiago was a major restocking point for NCL.

Big Green

We did the Pearl on a 15 day Panama canal cruise and the food selection and quality started dropping off on about day 9... each day the choices were less in some things... but still nice and plenty of food... You will run out of certain items that are in high demand...:)

I did the Santiago to Buenos Aires 2/14/09-3/1/09 and I specifically asked about that during the first few days. I was assured and SAW the restocking delivery in Punta Arenas. It was fine! I love fresh fruits and vegetables too, I think there might have been a day or two before the restocking that supply was low but then it seemed just like when we sailed!!!

I did the Santiago to Buenos Aires 2/14/09-3/1/09 and I specifically asked about that during the first few days. I was assured and SAW the restocking delivery in Punta Arenas. It was fine! I love fresh fruits and vegetables too, I think there might have been a day or two before the restocking that supply was low but then it seemed just like when we sailed!!!

thanks for all the replies! i'm so pleased to hear they restock in punta arenas!!

You will run out of certain items that are in high demand...:)

now if i can figure out the high demand foods, i'll eat them early on! :)

Funny - we were on a Baltics cruise last year and the very first day at sea there was a beautiful bone-in ham being carved and served in the buffet. Every day AFTER that there was a ham impersonator (looked a lot like a giant Spam loaf) in the very same spot - and more than once, as I walked by, I heard the server insist it was ham to inquiring passengers. So, the bone-in-ham had run out on day 2!

I've been on a couple long cruises and the only thing that repetedly seems to run out is bananas near the end of the cruise.

good to know! we'll be traveling with a baby and a 5 year old... and bananas are staples for them! i'll try and find a few green ones to ripen is our room. ;)

Archived