Skagway-Ultimate Yukon&White Pass RR Excursion

keishashadow

They do this on the round trip train rides, so half the passengers get the good seats on the way up, and the other half on the way down. Don't know if they do any seat swapping if you are on a one way trip.

One-ways I do not believe they do this, at least not on our Chilkoot 7.5-hr (includes 1-3/4 hr on train).

The round-trip train definitely has the seat swap, but that is fine because on that trip you cover the exact same thing -- going back down the same way you went up, so you miss nothing by swapping on that trip. It's only fair to do so on the round-trip.

Note, when on the train you are able to stand out on the observation deck as well, as much as you like. In 1999 we did the round-trip train and I was on the deck the entire time (except to load film, glad those days are over!), and in 2008 I did the same thing again. There is plenty of time to sit on the "bus" portion, if doing that, and if you like to take plenty of photos, the observation deck is the place to be! Might want to bring gloves though ;) (I don't, I like cold, but many find it chilly out there).

thanks for the link re sled ride, think we'd skip that;)

now to sell my DH on the fact that we won't be left standing @ the dock, the whole once bitten twice shy lol. Yet, as you state, it hasn't happened yet...you know it would be all over the 'net if it did:rolleyes:

Hi there - we are considering the 7.5 hour or the 9 hour tour with Chilkoot Charters. Besides time, do you know the difference between these two tours in terms of where they go? Thanks for your help! :)

The 7.5 hour one goes by train from Skagway to Fraser and bus from Fraser to Carcross, Emerald Lake, etc. The 9 hour one goes by train right to Carcross, and bus back to Skagway. There's a lot more to it, but that's the basic difference.

Murray

OK, now I am confused. If we take the 7.5 hour trip, with the train coming back to Skagway, do we pick the right or left side (when facing forward and facing the engine)?

Most comments seem to say Left up and right side down and this makes sense IF THE TRAIN TURNS AROUND. Other comments say there is a seat swap which implies the train goes backward on the way down.

Please clarify.

DaveOKC

OK, now I am confused. If we take the 7.5 hour trip, with the train coming back to Skagway, do we pick the right or left side (when facing forward and facing the engine)?

Most comments seem to say Left up and right side down and this makes sense IF THE TRAIN TURNS AROUND. Other comments say there is a seat swap which implies the train goes backward on the way down.

Please clarify.

DaveOKC

At the top, the engines swap ends of the line of cars and so are still pulling the train. The seats are flipped so you're still facing the direction of travel. You want the RIGHT side of the car facing the engines when going downhill.

We rode the train as part of a tour arranged by Dyea Dave. There were only 10 people in our entire car. The cruiseline reserved cars were packed!

We booked the entire trip to Emerald Lake with Dyea Dave. It's about a 6 hour trip and he'll stop wherever you want for photos. Lunch is on your own but the entire 6 hour trip is only $60 per person. I don't know how good he is but I've heard good reports and the price is less than half of the other trips, although not quite as long. Anyone have experience with his tour to Emerald Lake?

just posting back with big thank you all!

cancelled ship's tour & booked w/chilkoot, the Yukon Rail & Bus (7.5 hr) one, saved nearly $25 pp & really looking forward to the personal touch:)

btw, i did verify with them that if for some unforeseeable reason we would miss the ship, they'd put us in a hotel, stuff us full of steak & lobster & fly us to Prince Rupert...would be an adventure in it'self & give the mr the forever 'i told u so trump card' lol

just posting back with big thank you all!

cancelled ship's tour & booked w/chilkoot, the Yukon Rail & Bus (7.5 hr) one, saved nearly $25 pp & really looking forward to the personal touch:)

btw, i did verify with them that if for some unforeseeable reason we would miss the ship, they'd put us in a hotel, stuff us full of steak & lobster & fly us to Prince Rupert...would be an adventure in it'self & give the mr the forever 'i told u so trump card' lol

ENJOY!!! :)

Glad you got the extra reassurance for your hubby, since that was what you needed to get him to book ;)

So I'm researching shore excursions already. I think I'd like to do the Chilkoot Bus and Rail Excursion with the Puppy Camp (BTW, I'd be on Star Princess and need to check the times). I have one crazy question--where are the Prices on the Chilkoot website?

So I'm researching shore excursions already. I think I'd like to do the Chilkoot Bus and Rail Excursion with the Puppy Camp (BTW, I'd be on Star Princess and need to check the times). I have one crazy question--where are the Prices on the Chilkoot website?

You need to either call them or email them to find out. They do not post the prices because their tours are also sold by other tour retailers (who sell various tours), who they would be undercutting. The Chilkoot people are very easy to work with and will provide all the info you need. They will also have the port schedule, you only need to tell them which ship you are on and they will know your arrival & departure times and can advise what will work or not work.

We did the 7.5hr that you are talking about, but without the dog sled ride. You still see the puppies, just that we didn't want to ride (mostly for children, though adults can also do it). It was $174.xx last September. It's a bit more if you are including the ride. I don't know if there is a children's rate or not, but Chilkoot will provide all the details for you.

I emailed them and received this response:

1) White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM & 12:00PM

Cost: $122.00 Adult $78.00 Child (12 & Under)

Itinerary: 1 3/4 hours on train to White Pass Summit & Fraser by train - Return to Skagway by bus (This tour operates in reverse order at 8:30AM & 1:00PM)

2) Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 7 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM

Cost: $175.00 Adult $120.00 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch: Caribou Crossing Trading Post/Yukon Wildlife Museum/Husky Puppy Camp/Lunch Included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train - 1 3/4 hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

3) Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion With 15-Minute Dogsled Ride

Same as #2 above plus dogsled ride included in this package

Cost: $206.00 Adults $153.00 Child (12 & Under)

4) Skagway/Carcross Rail & Bus Excursion (May 22 – September 2, 2009)

Duration: 9 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM

Cost: $228 Adult $152 Child (12 & Under) (Plus 5% sales tax)

Lunch: Lake Bennett Train Depot dining hall/Parks Canada Interpretive Displays/Lunch Included

Itinerary: 2 1/2 hours on train to White Pass Summit, Fraser & Lake Bennett – 1 1/2 hours for lunch and layover at Lake Bennett – 2 hours by train to Carcross – Carcross to Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

(This excursion operates in the reverse order on Wednesday and Sunday.)

Courtesy transportation is provided to and from all cruise ship docks in Skagway.

I'm sure it's been answered, but which side of the returning bus should one choose for the best scenery?

On the bus, there are honestly positives to either side. Also, the visibility from either side is just fine...and the bus stops at all the photo op areas, so it honestly didn't make a difference which side for the bus portion.

The train is different because the vast majority of the scenery is on 1 side.

On the bus, there are honestly positives to either side. Also, the visibility from either side is just fine...and the bus stops at all the photo op areas, so it honestly didn't make a difference which side for the bus portion.

The train is different because the vast majority of the scenery is on 1 side.

Thanks very much. I was on the roundtrip train the last time I was in Skagway, so I wasnt quite sure about the bus. I am looking forward to sitting on either side of it!

Thanks very much. I was on the roundtrip train the last time I was in Skagway, so I wasnt quite sure about the bus. I am looking forward to sitting on either side of it!

You will love it! ENJOY! :D

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with Manzy. Check with Chilkoot. We are taking their 7 hour tour, and doing everything you mentioned, and also get to see Emerald Lake. It was $175 plus what ever you deem fit to tip your drivers. The tour leaves at 7:30 am, so that may not fit your ship schedule. Here is Chilkoots site

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/

I think our entire group is going to be on the same tour with you! Chilkoot was SO nice to deal with.

Does anyone have opinions about Chilkoot Charter vs. Dyea Dave? I saw the Chilkoot website info is there a website for Dyea Dave? We're cruising 14 days on the Ryndam on June 5.

I am sooooooo glad I found this thread! We hsd taken the Princess cruise tour a couple of years ago and loved it except for the bus, which was old and not very compforable. I had booked it again for our May cruise until I came upon this thread. The tour co. that you have been writting about seems much better. Also less expensive and we get to pet PUPPIES on this one!:D I canceled the ships tour and booked with these folks. Thank you, everyone for the good suggestion.

Sue

Hi all, we are arriving in Skagway on August 4. We were thinking about hiring a car. How do you think this option compares with the organised tours.

It's a very personal choice - many people like the ease of an organized tour, others like the freedom of independent touring.

Archived