Yangtze River Cruise and sightseeing in Beiijing

CherylFP

Hi

We are booked on the Diamond Princess from Beijing on October 5, 2009. Does anyone know anything about Yangtze River Cruises, whether worth while doing, places that run them etc.

We plan on having 5-6 days in Beijing before the cruise and there seem to be a lot of tour guides that we could use - it is deciding on the one to use that is the problem!!

Any ideas, suggestions for 5-6 days would be great.

Thanks.

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

We've sailed down the Yangtze twice, once before and once after the completion of the Three Gorges Dam. IMO, it is one of the most spectacular scenic spots I can think of. You will really miss out if you don't take the river cruise. Just hearing you're thinking about it, makes me want to go again.

We sailed with Victoria Cruises and they did a great job.

Hi

We are booked on the Diamond Princess from Beijing on October 5, 2009. Does anyone know anything about Yangtze River Cruises, whether worth while doing, places that run them etc.

We plan on having 5-6 days in Beijing before the cruise and there seem to be a lot of tour guides that we could use - it is deciding on the one to use that is the problem!!

Any ideas, suggestions for 5-6 days would be great.

Thanks.

Cheryl

We just returned from China this week. We spent 2 weeks there including a 4 night Yangtze cruise on the 5 star East King from Orient Royal. You do not get the cruise in Beijing but rather in Chongqing southbound (3 nights)or Yichang northbound (4 nights). You will have to fly from Beijing and back unless you can start in one of the access cities. You may need more time to make it all work.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard of the MV President 1 river boat? the tour we are going with is using that line. We upgraded to a bigger cabin with a balcony, and a higher deck. The tour we chose seems wonderful, but the ship is a bit of a concern. Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

go here and you can check it out, if you have not already: http://www.yzpresidentcruise.com/EN/usher/default.aspx

The ships that are used by tour companies are usually in fine shape. Much like a river cruise in Europe or smaller versions of an ocean cruise ship; much smaller. When we traveled the Yangtze River lunch and dinner had all the beer or local wine you wanted with dinner. Buffet style dinners with a wide variety of Chinese food, some of it traditional and some made for US taste buds. Not sure if it is still the same as we went several years ago. The river is provides insight into river life. Too much to go into, but one of my favorite trips.

If you are interested let me know and I will send you my review of our Chian trip. I loved Beijing but alos really enjoyed our Yantze River Cruise on the Vitoria line - we did the full 8 nt one from Shanghai to Choingqing - to me the best part of the Yantgze was the first part out of Shanghai as we got to watch all the activeity and there is a lot on the river and that also enabled us to go to the Yellow Moutnain a definite highlite. If you have the time definitely take the longer cruise the cost difference over the 3 or 4 nt is very little (like maybe only a couple of $100 as it eliminates one flight .

ann at century 21 vancouver dot com

go here and you can check it out, if you have not already: http://www.yzpresidentcruise.com/EN/usher/default.aspx

The ships that are used by tour companies are usually in fine shape. Much like a river cruise in Europe or smaller versions of an ocean cruise ship; much smaller. When we traveled the Yangtze River lunch and dinner had all the beer or local wine you wanted with dinner. Buffet style dinners with a wide variety of Chinese food, some of it traditional and some made for US taste buds. Not sure if it is still the same as we went several years ago. The river is provides insight into river life. Too much to go into, but one of my favorite trips.

Hi Fred, thank you, I hadn't seen that web site. it was very helpful and I was much more impressed than I expected to be.

Archived