What do to in Sitka

Seashell86

So from what I've read in the guidebooks and on this board is that Sitka is a great port to visit. However, I am now finding that there are too many things to do, and I have to narrow down my choices!

We will be in port from 7am-3pm, obviously using a tender to get in and out. How much time will the tender cut into our time on land?

How long do you think it would take to walk around the town and park and see all the sights? I keep reading that Sitka is a great place to take a boat tour or to go kayaking, but then I also would like time to explore the town, especially the places with the Russian influences.

Also, has anyone done the Sealife and Otter Wildlife Quest in Sitka? It looks like it is hosted by Allen Marine Tours, and I wondered if it was worth it.

There should still be a bus to take you around town, but we have usually walked. We like to see the Bishop's House, the Sheldon Jackson museum and the Totem Pole park at the end of the road. Also the raptor center - I'd like to go back there.

If anyone in your party is over 62, you can use your Golden Age Pass to get up to 4 people free into the Bishop's House and the park.

What is the Golden Age Pass? MY DH is 64 but we are English so I do not know what the pass is and whether it is something we are entitled to. We will be in Sitka on May 12th and were just planning to view local attractions on foot.

Apparently, the Golden Age Pass is now called an "America the Beautiful Senior Pass", and unfortunately, only US citizens or permanent residents are eligible. Here's a link with info. It's a little slow:

http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

Here's a walking map of downtown Sitka:

http://www.sitka.org/maps.html

Click on "download high resolution PDF" for a larger picture.

So from what I've read in the guidebooks and on this board is that Sitka is a great port to visit. However, I am now finding that there are too many things to do, and I have to narrow down my choices!

We will be in port from 7am-3pm, obviously using a tender to get in and out. How much time will the tender cut into our time on land?

How long do you think it would take to walk around the town and park and see all the sights? I keep reading that Sitka is a great place to take a boat tour or to go kayaking, but then I also would like time to explore the town, especially the places with the Russian influences.

Also, has anyone done the Sealife and Otter Wildlife Quest in Sitka? It looks like it is hosted by Allen Marine Tours, and I wondered if it was worth it.

We loved that tour. Allen Marine has big beautiful boats, very comfortable, lots of viewing area inside or outside, and they have a "stealth" mode for getting very close to the otters.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

There is an all day shuttle bus for $10. In my opinion, independent boat tours are superior for the ability of the vendor to route differently depending on interests. IF puffins want to be seen, you definately are better off with a vendor, since they have to go to a specific location- St. Lazaria Island.

You can read up on Sitka Totem Heritage Park, http://www.nps.gov

What is the Golden Age Pass? MY DH is 64 but we are English so I do not know what the pass is and whether it is something we are entitled to. We will be in Sitka on May 12th and were just planning to view local attractions on foot. quote.gif

We did exactly that on our previous visit, which was also early in the season. We were lucky to have warm sunny weather. There are lots of things to occupy your time during one day. You will see numerous bald eagles roosting in the trees about the town. The state park is within a mile of the dock area.

The Wildlife and Sea Otter Quest is one of my favorite tours but I love sea otters and there were so many. The moms were so cute floating on their backs with the babies on top. Just beautiful relaxing sceneryon the boat as well. We had plenty of time to do this tour and to walk around the town. I think there was also a Russian dance place where the men just do incredible dances. Sitka was one of my favorite ports and we picked the ship that year because of Sitka. We had a perfect day and perfect weather. The people were so nice there.

Will be walking around on our own- will we be able to fit in both the Russian Dancers and The Native Dancers by buying tickets when we get there.? From past posts looks like we get get a bus back to town from the Raptor Center if we walk there- we don't leave til 7pm Sounds like a lot to fit in- doable? Any input would be appreciated :)

Will be walking around on our own- will we be able to fit in both the Russian Dancers and The Native Dancers by buying tickets when we get there.? From past posts looks like we get get a bus back to town from the Raptor Center if we walk there- we don't leave til 7pm Sounds like a lot to fit in- doable? Any input would be appreciated :)

Yes, depending on your port time. Get your dancer's tickets when you arrive. You might be better off, purchasing the shuttle bus tickets for your day- since it is one price- $10 last year.

For clairfication on the above, IF referencing the Sitka Heritage Park, it is a national park, not state.

Archived