Pinnacle Grill breakfast

jmk22574

Quick question regarding breakfast in the PG. We're booked in an SC suite, so I know we can utilize the PG for breakfast. On port days, is it acceptable to wear jeans/sweatshirts into the PG for breakfast as we'll most likely be going directly to an excursion from breakfast? I know the PG is definitely dressier for lunch and dinner, just curious about breakfast - thanks!

Jill

Thanks for the replies. I am totally on board with the dress code for the evening, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to dress up just for breakfast and then go back and chance into my "port" clothes.

Jill

Breakfast in the PG is such a wonderful experience. We have always enjoyed room service for breakfast and didn't take advantage of it until the last few days of our last cruise. We couln't believe what we had been missing. I agree with other posters concerning dress code being more relaxed in the mornings.

We loved haveing breakfast on the balcony some mornings, but others we went to the PG. There are usually 2-3 other tables, and everyone wears port clothes around the ship in port mornings. So, no worries! :) It was one of the few things we missed when we went down to a VA.

We recently sailed in our first deluxe suite to celebrate some significant events in the coming year. My DH "went along" with my cabin selection, but suggested we not plan for similar accomodations afterward.

You guessed it. He declares that the Pinnacle breakfast alone was worth the suite price ("What a relaxing way to start the day!"). And, go figure, he must have enjoyed the Neptune also, since I caught him wandering the hall making note of his preferred cabin numbers nearby. Apparently, I have created a suite monster!

Enjoy your cruise. (Our next one won't be for a while, as I will have to save up a bit longer for an SA!) ;)

We loved haveing breakfast on the balcony some mornings, but others we went to the PG. There are usually 2-3 other tables, and everyone wears port clothes around the ship in port mornings. So, no worries! :) It was one of the few things we missed when we went down to a VA.

I am with you - there is nothing quite as gratifying as breakfast on the verandah. The only time we go to PG is when we are docked next to a monstrous ship and have no view nor privacy.

Unfortunately, the experience in the PG for breakfast depends on the maitre d' - if they are lazy, you end up with crappy tables and no view, an experience on Maasdam this February that still has me miffed. When the maitre d' is hard working - you almost always get a very nice table with a view - replacing the verandah experience quite nicely.

harry

I know what you mean, Harry,,,,,,,, but someone has to be seated at the less desireable table. It just isn't pleasant when it is us at a table at which we'd rather not be seated. I have to say, though, we've been extremely fortunate as the Maitre d's have been really nice to us. (In particular, Maasdam's. We think the world of Goren. We've sailed with him several times and he's always accomodated us so nicely.)

If there were other more desireable tables available and he refused to seat you there, that is Not Good! One has to think he was spreading out the service staff? Doesn't matter. He should have done what he had to do to make you happy.

If there were other more desireable tables available and he refused to seat you there, that is Not Good! One has to think he was spreading out the service staff? Doesn't matter. He should have done what he had to do to make you happy.

That happened to us in the Main Dining room for lunch on our last cruise when we were one of the first people to arrive and got one of the crappiest tables (no view at all). I asked to be moved and was told "No!" by the waiter that seated us. I protested and asked why and said what if I just move to a better area - I was told no one would wait on us. DH said I was making a scene and I finally just sat at the crappy table was mad as hell. While there at least 6 other couples complained about being seated in a crappy area when there were many many open tables in the area with a nice view. (I pointed all six out to DH too)

After 6 months it still bugs me, but I did put it on my comments. :mad: If it happens again I will speak to the dining room manager before sitting down.

If there is no room in a preferred area thats another matter and I totally understand.

Without him providing a reasonable explanation for not moving you to the table you wanted, it was simply a 'power trip' IMO and I'd be steamed also.

Maybe there was a good reason but it sure doesn't sound so.

Without him providing a reasonable explanation for not moving you to the table you wanted, it was simply a 'power trip' IMO and I'd be steamed also.

Maybe there was a good reason but it sure doesn't sound so.

All he had to do was explain the situation as i'm a reasonable person. I asked politely for a different table at the beginning of the conversation and he knew I was upset by the time DH said "drop it". By the time we were leaving they had started seating people in the area with a view which even irrated me more, but I didn't let it ruin my day.

It's hard to have a bad day when on HAL.:p

I know what you mean, Harry,,,,,,,, but someone has to be seated at the less desireable table. It just isn't pleasant when it is us at a table at which we'd rather not be seated. I have to say, though, we've been extremely fortunate as the Maitre d's have been really nice to us. (In particular, Maasdam's. We think the world of Goren. We've sailed with him several times and he's always accomodated us so nicely.)

It was not a question of accommodating us - the tables had been left with dishes from earlier breakfasting. No one bothered to clean them - this included five such tables all of which were along the window overlooking the island side of the ship.

I have never had a problem being seated at less desirable tables as it has happened many times, especially at dinner. It is when I get to look out at messy tables rather than vistas on vacation that just bug me. Maybe Goren is great, but two experiences with him were anything but exhilarating .. however, as you know, that did not stop us from getting his email address for you as life is too short to be upset for very long - but disappointed in him might be the better verb.

harry

Oh my word.... That's bad.

We would not have liked looking at those dirty tables, either. I fully agree with you, Harry, that is totally unacceptable. Sorry to hear Goren let something like that happen.

OK, I'm cruising again in November with HAL. Cruised on the Eurodam in March. I went to breakfast in the dining room one morning and there was a gentlemen that was turned away at the door for wearing a sleeveless shirt. Husband and wife pitched a fit, but the dining room mgr. wasn't having any of it. Pulled him aside and spoke sternly, but very politely with them and they went to the Lido.

I had jeans with me, but I was wondering if I was allowed to wear them in the dining room in the mornings??? After the sleeveless shirt, I didn't dare try it. I appreciated them enforcing the dress code. It's a drag to be in your finest and have somebody in a Tshirt sitting next to you ruining the ambience. BUT, what about at breakfast in the dining room -- jeans and shorts or not?

Racine-

I am almost positive you can wear your casual clothing to breakfast. A gentleman in a sleeveless shirt is beyond casual IMHO and I'm glad they turned him away! I did see people in their port clothing (ie, shorts, tee shirts, etc) at the dining room breakfast.

What did you mean by there are usually 2-3 other tables? Thanks

What did you mean by there are usually 2-3 other tables? Thanks

Educated guess is that maxsmamma meant 2-3 other parties were eating breakfast in the Pinnacle at the same time. The remaining tables (meaning pieces of furniture) were not in use.

Archived