HELP Need Advice for a CCL newbie - what ship for a family with DD2 and DD5

xcell

I have been a Loyal Royal for over 4 cruises but due to prices, I have decided to trying something different. As I have sailed mostly on RCI, I know which ship to choose but jumping ship to CCL, I'm not sure which one to start with. Caribbean is where we are planning to go. Any recommendations???

My main goal is get the kids in the camp carnival and then enjoy my vacation with the wife.

Thanks in advance!

Well I am certainly no expert but we are booked on our first carnival cruise (sailed only rccl previously) and we booked the Dream. It looks like an awesome ship and they even have rooms with two bathrooms and an amazing waterslide. We are SO excited and it waas $2000 less than the RCCL Freedom was going to cost us. Here is the info I gathered:

Links

· Specific Information: https://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/the_fleet/dream/dream.html

· Info about the kids areas, activities, and waterslides, etc: http://carnival-news.com/2009/02/02/130000-ton-carnival-dream-the-ultimate-family-vacation/

· General Information Link where you can click through some images: http://cruises.about.com/od/carnivalcruiselines/a/Carnival_Dream.htm

· Carnivals Ship Link: http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/ships/carnival_dream/default.aspx?shipCode=DR

What is different?

· No Climbing wall, No Ice Skating Rink

· Everyone seems to agree Royal has more “elegant” décor. Carnival is more umm “Vegas” by the looks of it. Kids should LOVE it

· Everyone seems to agree carnival has way better food. Nicer cuts of meat, bigger lobsters, better desserts, etc

· The kids clubs seem pretty comparable. I think on the Carnival one the kids get to go to the splash park sometimes though. Nobody had anything bad to say about either; only good things

Ship Highlights:

· Brand new ship (first cruise Dec 2009)

· You can bring wine on board. 1 bottle a person but most people say they take one in every suitcase.

· Drinks seem cheaper by about a dollar a drink. You can also by liquor by the liter ($40) for your room.

· In addition to a 303-foot-long, four-deck-high corkscrew water slide – the longest in cruising – there will be another 104-foot-long spiral water slide that leads into a giant funnel, providing riders with an exhilarating and memorable conclusion to their journey. WaterWorks also includes twin double-lane 80-foot-long racing slides and various water spray apparatus with squirting fountains, splash zones, “dump buckets” and more.

· "scenic whirlpools" that extend over the ship's beam

· 18-hole miniature golf course

· Large LCD movie screen by the pool. They do family movie nights under the stars here too.

· Poolside restaurant offers 24-hour pizza, ice cream, and a grill with fresh grilled hamburgers and hotdogs and French fries.

· Espresso is free in the main dining room

· Retractable roof for inclement weather over pool

· Ping Pong Tables, Volleyball Court, Basketball court

· Self-Service Launderette ($2 a load)

Food:

· Sushi Bar from 5:30 to 8:00 pm

· Buffet / Specialty Stations: salad bar; pasta; carving station

· The Grill: hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken and fries

· Taste of Nations: food from different regions each day

· Mongolian Wok: Mongolian wok where guests select vegetables,

seafood, meat and spices and have it prepared right before their eyes.

· Indian Tandoori: Indian-style chicken, fish kebobs, breads and other delicacies

· New York Deli: Deli Sandwiches piled-high and favorite sides

· Desserts: including soft-serve ice cream

· Pizzeria: pizza, calzone and Caesar salad

· The Piazza, an indoor/outdoor café and live music venue

Kids program

· With Carnival’s “dining under the stars” program, kids can also enjoy a meal with the youth staff in the Lido restaurant allowing parents to have a night to themselves.

· 19,000 total square feet of space catering to children

· Includes a large LCD TV and Wii.

Rooms:

· Interior stateroom size is 185 sqft for the smallest. Family interior staterooms sleep 5 and has two bathrooms. 230 sqft. Not too expensive. For comparison the Mariner promenade staterooms were 153 sqft and the regular interior were 165 sqft. So the staterooms are considerably bigger.

· Carnival Dream’s family friendly features even extend to the ship’s accommodations, which include spacious deluxe ocean view staterooms with a unique configuration featuring two bathrooms. In addition to twin beds that convert to a king and ample closet space, the extra-roomy cabins will include one full bathroom and a second bathroom with a junior tub, shower and sink. In addition to dozens of inter-connecting staterooms, many of the Carnival Dream’s accommodations can hold up to five guests

· All staterooms in the above have a stocked mini bar. The mini bar is stocked with premium liquor ($3.95-$4.95), wine ($4.25- 4.95), beer ($3.75), soft drinks ($1.50) and a variety of sweet/salty snacks ($1.25-$6.95).

· Two bathrobes per stateroom are provided in all staterooms

· All rooms have flat screen televisions

thinking of early sept or mid oct

miami or any fl port is easy to get to

caribbean east or west

about 7 days

really, i just want to get on a cruise and relax...lol

Archived