First time traveling with meds that need to be kept cold on plane

kjunea

I'm not sure if this is the right spot, but I thought I would ask here first. For the first time, I am having to travel on a plane with meds that have to be kept cold. I have a little cooler to put them in, but can I go through security with an icepack around them? What about a sealed cooler pack?

I've got a letter from my doctor stating that I have meds, syringes, etc. I just don't want to get to the TSA security station and have them make a big deal about ice/cold pack around the meds.

Thanks!

That is a very good question and one I have not seen addressed, I believe if it were me first I would call TSA describe the situation and see what they advise. I would think one possible last ditch option would be after you go through security and in waiting area there are shops and restaurants see if you can get some ICE from one of them at that point. you should be able to get more ice on the plane or perhaps they can keep it refrigerated for you. Call the airline special services as well and have them notate your reservation if you go this route.

Let us know after the fact how it all turns out and what you did, please.

I'm not sure if this is the right spot, but I thought I would ask here first. For the first time, I am having to travel on a plane with meds that have to be kept cold. I have a little cooler to put them in, but can I go through security with an icepack around them? What about a sealed cooler pack?

I've got a letter from my doctor stating that I have meds, syringes, etc. I just don't want to get to the TSA security station and have them make a big deal about ice/cold pack around the meds.

Thanks!

You should not have a problem so long as you treat the cooler as if it were a carry-on -- in other words, have it available for inspection, along with your doctor's letter and copies of your prescriptions. Does his letter state that the meds have to be kept on ice? That may help you, should there be any further question.

When I had to do this I used a sealed cooler pack that clearly stated on it what it was (a commerically purchased cooler pack that was so labeled), and it didn't merit even a second glance. I hope your experience goes as smoothly.

Okay, I did some searching on the TSA page and this is what I found.

TSA's checkpoint security screening procedures for persons with disabilities and medical conditions have not changed as a result of the current threat situation. All disability-related equipment, aids, and devices continue to be allowed through security checkpoints once cleared through screening.

Additionally, we are continuing to permit prescription liquid medications and other liquids needed by persons with disabilities and medical conditions. This includes:

All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;

Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;

Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;

Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,

Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.

However, if the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3 ozs each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security Officer. A declaration can be made verbally, in writing, or by a person's companion, caregiver, interpreter, or family member.

Declared liquid medications and other liquids for disabilities and medical conditions must be kept separate from all other property submitted for x-ray screening.

I will let everyone know how it goes. I've traveled with my cane, CPAP, leg brace, but never injectable medicine and syringes. I hate holding up the line for all my "stuff" and just want to be prepared for what might happen.

Don't worry about holding people up! Do give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport and through screening, though -- I always plan to get there at least 2 hours ahead (assuming I'm flying out of a large airport, not my local "baby airport" where the crew doesn't show up until a half-hour before a flight! :) )

Looks like you've done a lot of traveling, so you know that your meds and other medical equipment don't "count" as a carry-on..you can still have one "regular" carry-on, in addition to whatever else you need medically, including your meds.

Have a good trip!

Don't worry about holding people up! Do give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport and through screening, though -- I always plan to get there at least 2 hours ahead (assuming I'm flying out of a large airport, not my local "baby airport" where the crew doesn't show up until a half-hour before a flight! :) )

Looks like you've done a lot of traveling, so you know that your meds and other medical equipment don't "count" as a carry-on..you can still have one "regular" carry-on, in addition to whatever else you need medically, including your meds.

Have a good trip!

Yes, I've traveled a good bit! I started at age 3 months flying from France on a MATS flight, facing the tail of the plane! My mom said it took us 24 hours, jumping from base to base to base to get to Tennessee! I guess being born into the Air Force either makes you want to stay put when you grow up, or (like me) you get itchy feet to travel every chance you get!

In my experience travelling with a small insulated bag approximately lunch sized, I place it in the plastic bin and send it through. Usually an agent comes over to me and asks to see the contents. Obviously I am cooperative. When they see that it is my insulin and the gel packs to keep it cold, they zip it closed and return it to me.

I always carry a letter from my physician and my receipt for my medications but have never been asked about it. I believe that a letter is important.

Fran

My wife was on a med for two years that had to be kept cool and could not freeze. We found what worked best with us was to have the ice in the cooler in water tight containers. Some of the time we had to dump the ice at security and other times we did not. If we dumped, we just refilled on the other side. One or two times we filled on the aircraft without any problem. Do not be surprised if the cooler is checked again at the boarding gate. It was so much easier for us to be flexible than have to argue with security. On a transatlantic, Princess was not able to get our fridge to work properly so our steward refilled the cooler twice a day

Hi! I work for the TSA and I am happy to answer your question.

First, "liquid" medications (including syrups, gels, sprays, creams, etc.) are exempt from the 3-1-1 rule. However, they must be in containers that are "professionally" labeled such as the pharmacy containers in which they came. It does not hurt to have a letter from your doctor. However, it usually is not necessary (unless you have something unusual -- e.g., organ transplants -- that you might think would raise some questions. (I personally have an eye condition where I use a a LOT of over-the-counter eye drops. Even with my TSA docs, I always travel with a letter from my opthamologist.)

"Necessary" amounts of over-the-counter medications are included in this category -- that is, they are exempt from the 3-1-1 rule. However, what is "necessary" has to fall within the common sense category (or have a doctor's letter). For example, if you find a terrific sale on contact lens solution and decide to buy a case or two and decide to take it as carry-on, it just plain ain't gonna' happen.

There are NO limits for any size or any quantity of liquid, cream, paste, aerosol, lotion, etc. in CHECKED BAGS. (Hint: That is where to pack your duty-free liquor and jars of marmalade -- even if the clerk at the store said it was okay to take on-board with you. Also, homemade jams and salsa will probably be in containers that need to be checked.)

Our goal is to limit the amount of liquids to which a passenger has access during the flight; not prevent the passenger from taking those liquids on the trip. All of those oversized liquids that are stopped at the Checkpoint get tossed! We prefer that you keep them.

Also, we go by the container size. We don't care if there is only "a little bit" of toothpaste left in your 6 oz tube. We don't have the time or the measurement tools to make that determination. If that particular tube of toothpaste is so important to you (or your dying grandfather gave it to you as a present; or it is a souvenir from your honeymoon trip to France; or you can't get that flavor in Tulsa and your kids refuse to use anything else -- WE DON'T CARE! Put it in your checked bags!)

Any medications in a container over 3.4 ounces is subject to additional testing. In most airports, the container will not be opened and the outside of the bottle will be tested. In some airports, depending upon the availability of equipment, you might be asked to open your container. A test strip will be held OVER the top of the open container (to catch the fumes). If it isn't an explosive (which is what we are looking for), the testing should not take more than 5-10 seconds per container.

The X-ray equipment is not harmful to medicines. The exposure is equivalent to being in a plane at normal flying altitudes for about 20 minutes. As a courtesy, we will hand-check any medications. (Please be advised that homeopathic medications are not necessarily considered medicines by everyone. You may have to submit those for X-ray inspection.)

If you are diabetic, you may bring juice or other necessary liquids through the Checkpoint. Here, you might want a doctor's note althugh having insulin with you will usually suffice.

If you need to keep your medications cooled, ice packs and/or ice are just fine -- but no dry ice. Ice packs will probably be tested in a way similar to your liquids.

As suggested, the actual testing of liquids (and ice packs) takes just seconds. The hold-up often depends on whether there is a screener available -- or if we are waiting for equipment -- to do the testing. Additional info and details are always available at tsa.gov.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a zippered 4x6x1" travel pack that has gel freezer packs built in. The TSA has never given me a problem, I purposly put a syrnge(sic) in with the Insulin so they can see what it is on their screen. I previously traveled with a childs insulated lunch bag with my Insulin. Remember Insulin has a top temp of around 85 and a bottom temp that is above freezing. Be careful not to lay the Insulin directly on a freezer pack and freeze it, or it will be ruined. At home I just leave it out on by dresser as our house is air conditioned and never gets up to 86Dgs. :)

• 1 month later...

I too have to carry medication that has to be kept cold and as I normally have to fly from the UK to board a ship I have experienced problems with cool bags and ice, although aircrew will normally supply ice to replace that the melts it was far from satisfactory so I bought a gel pack insulin travel wallet which works by soaking in cold water. I have found that this will keep medication cold for long periods of time. On a recent trip my gel pack stayed cold for a few weeks so I would recommend them to anyone travelling with insulin and needs to keep it cold

I am a diabetic and travel with my insulin and syringes as well as small juice bottles for hypoglycemia and have never had a problem. Today's insulin no longer must be refrigerated so I do not use a cooler or keep it on ice. When we get where we are going I immediately refrigerate it although my doctor and the pharmacist tells me it isn't necessary. I just do it for myself. If you have a doctors letter then there will be absolutely no problem for you. I do not have a drs letter and once they inspect my little carry-on case, they send me on through. Hope you have a great cruise.

My husband has meds that need to be refrigerated also. He has a case that is about 5x7x1 and has a slip in freezer pack. We also put another freezer container in the pack when we are flying long distances.

We take the original box the Enbrel comes in and the filled syringes. So far we haven't had any problems with putting the pack into the carry on. Good luck.

Archived