Passport Card?

angela111509

Hello,

We are traveling after June 1st and I keep getting a different answer from Carnival when I call. I KNOW that in an emergency people will need a passport to fly home and my family (husband, son) have onel. However, we are taking a few guests and they want to know if the can use the Passport card/ or need a passport at all. I seriously have gotten every answer from Carnival. Does anyone know for SURE?

Thanks!!!

http://www.expertcruiser.com/blog/cruisers-passports-required-june-1-2009/

You might want to review this info specifically for cruising. Your cruiseline and/or TA should have all the specifics in writing. Personally..... If I were you and you have passports, advise the others that don't have a passport to do their own research and take personal responsibility for having the correct info. It's not your responsibility and I wouldn't take it on.

You didn't say where you will be cruising.

I agree with the pp that you should do your own research. That being said, my understanding is that the passport card is only for land crossings (ie travel by land to Mexico and Canada). It is just as easy/difficult to get a regular passport book as it is to get a passport card, but the book is much more versitile.

I agree with the pp that you should do your own research. That being said, my understanding is that the passport card is only for land crossings (ie travel by land to Mexico and Canada). It is just as easy/difficult to get a regular passport book as it is to get a passport card, but the book is much more versitile.

The CARD can be used only land and sea. NOT air like a Passport book. The card runs much cheaper, but in the long run, a passport would be the one to have unless you need the card just to go back and forth the Canadian border like many people do for work, shopping etc.

My husband and I have our passports. But for my 2 year old we are getting the card we do not plan on flying over seas at this time. If we end up doing that then we will worry about a passport for him then. But by then he will be older and will understand more then he will now. Because will probaly need shots and stuff like that and that is something he has gone though enough of already for the well child vists.

My husband and I have our passports. But for my 2 year old we are getting the card we do not plan on flying over seas at this time. If we end up doing that then we will worry about a passport for him then. But by then he will be older and will understand more then he will now. Because will probaly need shots and stuff like that and that is something he has gone though enough of already for the well child vists.

Fact....

Your two year old can cruise with his birth certificate if you are leaving a U.S. city and ending in a U.S city. (closed loop cruise) Neither the card NOR birth certificate will let him fly home from a port out of the U.S. in case you had to interrupt your Carib cruise and get home.

My opinion....

If you don't want to purchase a passport at this time, then it doesn't pay to buy a passport card either. It will offer you nothing more than the birth certificate will unless you drive over the Canadian or Mexican borders frequently.

Not sure I understand this. What do shots have to do with a passport?

Archived