Has anyone experienced or heard of getting "Bed bugs"??

andrzej- loved the link to Stefan Batory - my wife came over from Poland in 1969 on her.

she has spoken of the north sea many times (very seasick!!)

some fascinating reading - and appreciate the interior pictures.

That crossing must have started her love of cruising - been cruising ever since !

In 2004, my mom and I were sailing on the Summit (Celebrity). They had an infestation on the ship, but failed to notify passangers. When asked, they denied, but all the telltale signs were there. We demanded clean, disinfected mattresses and were supplied with them immediately. My mom took the brunt of it. She came home with little red bumps all over her legs. I think I was a bit safer as I was wearing bug spray because of excursion choices. FYI....I still cruise regularily as did my mom before her death. I have no fear staying in hotels, but I do check. Haven't had an incident since.

I'm in the hotel business..here's how you can tell if a bed is likely to be infested with bed bugs. Look for little dots of brown on the mattress, I mean pin head size, they are dried blood, also look in the cording that runs around the seams of the mattress, lastly look between the mattress and box spring and on the seams of the box spring, if you find nothing in those spots then chances are there is no infestation. It takes about 3 minutes to do it all ... if you're worried about it ... should help relieve the worry, anyway... cause when a room has them it is EXTREMELY difficult to get rid of them!!!!!:eek:

I have read they nest on the back of headboards, so check there, you may actually be able to see them. I doubt with so much going on every week in the way of new linens etc on a ship that they would have them, but it never hurts to check.

So, there I was, minding my own business, eating a cheese sandwich, and on the television pops this programme that shows a microscope power onto a lump of cheese.

It got closer, and closer, and then closer.

When it reached infinity and beyond power, you could clearly see bugs crawling around on the cheese.

According to the TV presenter, these bugs are on all cheese.

I finished my cheese sandwich, and made another one. :rolleyes:

I've heard of them repeatedly on TV news shows like Entertainment Tonight, but I've never known anyone in real life to encounter the critter-bugs.

I've heard that it's easy to pull back the sheets and look for them near the headboard. They're not tiny or germ-like, though they are reclusive, and you should be able to see them with the naked eye.

We just got back a couple of days ago and checking for bed bugs was the first thing that I did when I entered the hotel room and the cabin. I didn't even open up our suitcases in case we needed to change rooms or hotels. All was fine, but better to be safe than sorry.

N.

andrzej- loved the link to Stefan Batory - my wife came over from Poland in 1969 on her.

she has spoken of the north sea many times (very seasick!!)

some fascinating reading - and appreciate the interior pictures.

That crossing must have started her love of cruising - been cruising ever since !

Finally, somebody noticed and better yet, somebody was actually on this beautiful ship. :)

We had a wonderful crossing. Seas were very favorable.

I actually believe that crossing implanted a travel bug in me and I have since flown almost 1M miles to all parts of the world and have been on 7 different ships. I do prefer land travel, but I don't have any problems signing up to a cruise....:D

In fact my first cruise was a transatlantic on the Celebrity Millennium back in 2001 right after 9/11. I was on the first international flight out of US after the authorities allowed international flights out of US. The US Airways flight to London had about 20 passengers TOTAL. I caught a flight London to Barcelona couple of days later and that's when memories of why I love cruising came back. Knowing that I will be very busy for next few years because of my job and 9/11, I had the most fantastic, relaxing time on that ship. I was able to sneak away for another 2 weeks a year later to take another cruise.

Too busy working all over the world working for our government I didn't cruise again till just recently. But as you see on my signature I already have another cruise booked.

We always check for bedbugs wherever we stay. It takes just a minute.

The kids help also, they know the drill... first thing to do is check the outside seams of the mattresses. I know an exterminator and he has seen many household and hotel infestations. I would not want to bring them home, but we always vacuum our luggage when we get home and wash all clothing.

Andrzej - my wife was thrilled to see those inside pix - she did not remember the amber chandeliers in the library - she was so seasick, 2 friends put her in a blanket and took her out on the deck to get some fresh air - then they drank pepper vodka to chase the seasickness ! a few years ago when in Poland, we went to the pier in Gdynia where she left for the USA on the Stefan Batory.............If ever in Krakow, there is a hotel/restaurant called Stefan Batory - wonderful homemade Polish food !

Archived