May Strikes in Italy

There are some announced strikes for May in Italy. Many strikes get canceled and many do not apply to all services, but if any of these hit on any of your dates, you may want some backup plans.

Thanks so much! So far so good for me :)

You leave soon! Have a great time!

We leave for the airport Sunday at 11:15.... So much to do this week..... And I am still planning on putting an update here about VeniceConnected on the 1st or 2nd of May, even if their free internet doesn't work, we have free internet at the Locanda Orseolo.

As previous post mentioned, strikes in Italy are often cancelled before they even happen.

The following site is generally 'fairly' accurate on their strike info:

http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp

This site is the most accurate (Italian only):

http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/

The following is the only one that I see that could impact cruise passengers.

Ferrovie dello Stato Organizzazioni Sindacali Informazioni sullo scioperoRsu/Rls - Assemblea Nationale Ferrovieri

Data Arrivo24-03-2009 Data Proclamaz.24-03-2009 ComuneProvinciaRegioneModalita'dalle 21.00 del 9.5 alle 21.00 del 10.5 Rilevanza****onale

Given that this is national in scope, it could impact plans. Keep in mind that there are certain trains between certain cities that are guaranteed to run even in the event of a strike!

As previous post mentioned, strikes in Italy are often cancelled before they even happen.

The following site is generally 'fairly' accurate on their strike info:

http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp

This site is the most accurate (Italian only):

http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/

The following is the only one that I see that could impact cruise passengers.

Ferrovie dello Stato Organizzazioni Sindacali Informazioni sullo scioperoRsu/Rls - Assemblea Nationale Ferrovieri

Data Arrivo24-03-2009 Data Proclamaz.24-03-2009 ComuneProvinciaRegioneModalita'dalle 21.00 del 9.5 alle 21.00 del 10.5 Rilevanza****onale

Given that this is national in scope, it could impact plans. Keep in mind that there are certain trains between certain cities that are guaranteed to run even in the event of a strike!

Sorry , my italian is not good. Is the italian site you quote saying the strike will start at 9pm on May 9th? Our ship leaves on the 9th from Civitevecchia and we were planningon using your train directions from rome to port. We should be at the pier around noon, so am I correct in understanding that this strike will not affect travel before 9pm on the 9th? Also, don't they have to register strikes ahead of time? Would that mean that they could not change the times this late in the game?

thanks-

Sorry , my italian is not good. Is the italian site you quote saying the strike will start at 9pm on May 9th? Our ship leaves on the 9th from Civitevecchia and we were planningon using your train directions from rome to port. We should be at the pier around noon, so am I correct in understanding that this strike will not affect travel before 9pm on the 9th? Also, don't they have to register strikes ahead of time? Would that mean that they could not change the times this late in the game?

thanks-

The Italians have a nifty way about strikes. They always start on time. If they last the total duration planned is something else altogether. Who knows, it could well be cancelled by the time you arrive in Italy.

You should have no problem getting to the train on the 9th.

We leave for the airport Sunday at 11:15.... So much to do this week..... And I am still planning on putting an update here about VeniceConnected on the 1st or 2nd of May, even if their free internet doesn't work, we have free internet at the Locanda Orseolo.

Perfect! I can't wait to hear. Now you bought your VeniceConnected online correct? Where will you be picking up your tickets?

Thanks again for all your help.

Archived