Review on Costa Allegra

jonad

Hi all,

Here is my review on the above ship. We travelled the Far East for 14 days and have just returned. Hubby and I are in our early 50's. We have done 3 or 4 cruises in the past.

We had a wonderful time, contrary to the sometimes negatives reviews read. We went with very little expectations and our mind set to enjoy ourselves. We must remember this is a relatively cheap cruise and that must be taken into account.

We met many whingers during our time on board. 'The food wasn't as good as other cruises' or 'the ship was looking tired' or 'the staff are unhelpful' etc. etc.

We found very little to complain about and therefore had a memorable holiday.

CHECKING IN - Singapore. We arrived at Harbourfront at 8am, after an early airport arrival and were able to check our luggage in straight away, so that was good. They told us we could board at 2pm (not 4pm as we thought), so we spent the day on Sentosa which is right nearby.

THE CABIN, It was quite roomy with a nice comfy double bed. The mattress was quite firm, but as we like it. We both found the pillows too low so asked for another one which they inserted in the same pillow case and it was fine. The linen was soft and comfy and we were covered with a nice fluffy doona. There is plenty of hanging space and some drawers and we had problems fitting it all in. We decided to put our large suitcases under the bed, so my husband lifted the end of the bed while I pushed them through. Otherwise there is room to stand them by the door. We had a small desk and stool with a lamp and a lamp at each bedside table. There was a t.v. and a stocked bar fridge (at a cost of course) and also tea and coffee making facilities.

THE BATHROOM, Normal ship bathroom. Hairdryer and outlets for shavers. Two large and two small towels provided each day (or twice a day if they were wet). The shower (which my husband called the Pod) was circular about 80cm in diameter. Its was fine for us, but I imagine a larger person would be getting close and personal with the shower curtain!

A dispenser was on the wall containing shower gel/shampoo in one. A cake of soap was at the basin, a box of tissues and toilet paper. Apparently you could ask the cabin steward for anything else you might need. We could have done with a pull out clothes line, but managed to hang our 'smalls' around the bathroom.

DINNER, We thoroughly enjoyed our meals. I really don't understand what people could complain about. We always dined at Montmarte restaurant and had at least 7 courses to choose from with a choice of 3 from each. Of course its hard to serve a whole table the same course at the same time, as some would choose only two courses and others 5, but that didn't bother us. I found their fresh bread rolls irresistible and had to have one at every meal. (I don't normally eat much bread). We would go to Montmarte for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but had the occasional lunch at the Yacht club. I didn't particularly like it up there as it was always hotter. Also the plates and cups are plastic and I don't like drinking from plastic cups...but thats just me.

We had the X1 package for both of us and it worked well. It had cost us AUD$36 per day for the two of us. The cheapest bottle of wine at dinner was 18 euro. The X1 wines were o.k., not top shelf, but even after tasting a more expensive wine from someone on our table it wasn't that different. We had red, white, rose or beer and mineral water, either still or sparkling. Our lovely waitress Sheila always gave us a full bottle of water to take away with us. We could also have our wine glass filled at the end of the meal and take it to the show.

COCKTAILS, The normal price of these is euro 6.25 (plus 15%) but each day there is a special cocktail for 5 euro (plus 15%), Also Happy hour is between 6 - 7, so if you purchased the special during happy hour it was 5 euro +, which is very reasonable.

VISA'S. Costa take care of the Visas required for Vietnam and Brunei. The charge your onboard account. It was 4.5 euro each for Vietnam and 10 euro each for Brunei. This caused quite an upset with some as they thought it was only $5 and we paid $20 and were convinced Costa was ripping us off. I may look into that further later on.

PORTS OF CALL. In Hong Kong we docked somewhere else, China Merchants Wharf. This caused a bit of confusion. Those taking tours were fine, but the rest of us didn't know how to get into the city. Some caught taxis and others tried to walk and find public transport. Luckily for us as we disembarked I noticed two shuttle buses and asked who they were for. Apparently for us to take us to where we should have docked. Yay, that was good. On quering this once we returned on board we were told they had known nothing of the shuttle buses as they were provided by the Hong Kong authorities. The shuttles went back and forth every 30 minutes or so.

In Ho Chi Minh, we caught the shuttle bus at 7 euro each which took us through bumpy roads to the Rex Hotel in the city. Again there was one going back and forth every 30 minutes or so.

In Danang we walked out of the port gates and started 'negotiating' with a taxi driver to take us to Marble Mountain and Hoi An. Another couple were going to the same places so we shared costs. The taxi cost us US$80 for the 4 of us, basically for the day.

Manila was a bit confusing again. I don't think we docked where we should have as we were told it was a long way out, so bought shuttle tickets again for 6 euro each. Turns out we were about 500mts from Rizal Park which is one of the attractions we wanted to visit. The shuttle takes you to Robinsons shopping centre.

Kota Kinabalu, walk out of the port and turn right and just follow the path. Its about a 30 minute walk to the city.

Brunei. Costa offered a 31 euro city tour. We have been there before and know the city is quite small and can all be done on foot so we chose to find our own way there. Taxi drivers were asking up to $75 for a trip to the city. We walked out the port gates and turned left to find a bus down the road. It was an Express Service and for $2 took us to the city, about 30-40 minutes. There were about 10 of us and we agreed to meet at the bus terminal in the city at 2pm for the return trip ($2 again) bargain!

Those who did Costa tours seemed happy with them. One in Manila took them to the highlands and it was apparently lovely. Manila itself is an eye opener with lots of poverty, so those on the tour saw another side of it.

Also in Singapore a tour took them around the city with lunch at the Raffles which was apparently lovely. They are a bit pricey though.

ENTERTAINMENT, we enjoyed the shows. They were interesting and varied with some wonderful costumes. Each was about 45 -50 minutes, usually followed by something else e.g. karaoke, talent quest etc.

The airconditioning sometimes varied a bit. The first few nights at dinner were freezing, and some nights watching the entertainment was too cold. Take something warm, just in case.

I think I have covered everything. We made many new friends, saw some great places along the way, had good food and a good two week break from normal life. Just go with no expectations and an open mind that you will enjoy yourself!!

I am always here for any questions!!

Thanks Jonad - that is fantastic. I just have this small/large problem - X1 in Yacht club - can it be used there ?- but as you dined mostly in the Montmarte - perhaps you didn't use it when you were in the Yacht club.

I am having such a bad time getting a card - you may have read my other post in relation to this issue. I have had an email from jingbonbonnie saying it can't be used in the Yacht club - Costa in Sydney say it can - and even worse - I can't get to pay for it if I want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have until 11th May to make any changes - if I can't get it by then - I will be drinking those cocktails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So glad you enjoyed your holiday - and I will be taking notes from your posting to add to my collection.

Hi Jonad thanks for your great review. First question, no doubt there will be more :-) What did you do for cash in Singapore, Vietnam and Hong Kong? Glad you had a good holiday, I guess quite a few of us are relieved it all went well.

regards

Christine

Spike's Mum

Thanks Jonad, for a very comprehensive review. it seems all the 'doom and gloom' brigade may have got it wrong.

One quick question (if you can help): Just been watching the F1 Grand Prix from China at the weekend and it was 'persisting down'.:eek:

What was the weather like on your trip?

Thanks

Tom

Here are my replies.

Christine. We changed some Aussie into US$ before departure. In Vietnam US$ are freely accepted. In Manila we changed some US$ into Pesos at a money changer. In Hong Kong we changed AUD$ and US$ into Hong Kong dollars. Some of these can be obtained on the ship before docking. There are money changers everywhere once you dock. The only time you'll need money immediately is if you catch a taxi from the port.

tommcne. The weather at all ports was hot, very hot with Hong Kong being the exception. It was very pleasant there. We did have a couple of days at sea when it rained for a short time, usually during the afternoon. That sent everybody running for about half an hour or so, but it was soon back to normal.

Dizzy 1948. Don't worry about the X1 card as it CAN be used at the Yacht Club. We did it on a couple of occasions, even the last day when we should have already disembarked. We had the same problem with payment. Nobody would accept it. Eventually Holiday Planet who we had booked with accepted it. Just keep hassling them.

Jonad (Nadia)

Thank you for this very useful information. We are sailing from Hong Kong on the 8th May. Please could you tell me which days the gala nights were on? Also if you are on late sitting for dinner were the shows on before?

Could you also let me know if they had dancing on anywhere in the evenings.

Thanks Denise

Thanks for all the information provided in your review. I've been on four previous Costa cruises (but never to the Far East), and your experience is much closer to mine than the extremely negative reviews that have been posted by a few people on this board.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy the X-1 package for our June cruise. Do you happen to recall how much the beer and mineral water cost on board?

Hi Nadia

It is Holiday planet that I am booked through - they want to charge $294.00 for the card - I seem to think that you only paid $258.00 would that be right? Michelle is my TA there - I am going to get back on to her to-day to see if the price will drop.

Love your review - very positive.

Regards

Liz

Hi all,

Denise, our Gala nights were on days at sea except for the last one which was the night we left Brunei. Our cruise was from 4th -18 April and the gala nights were on the 7th, 11th and 15th April.

Shows for late sitting were on before dinner and vice versa.

We ate at the first sitting, then went to the showroom where dance music was always playing before the show which usually commenced around 9.30. I'm not sure whether the second sitting had any music before but I imagine they did as the "Today" states "Sugar and Candies Band" from 7pm till 10.30, 11, or midnight. They had a break, of course for the show. Hope I've explained that o.k.!!

j2ink, beer cost 4.50 or 5 euro (+15%) depending on the type. Mineral water was 2.50 euro for 1ltre and 1.40 euror for 1/2 litre (+15%). Prices were the same at dinner or in the bar. During happy hour any drinks were 'buy one get one free'..of the same drink. (6 - 7.30pm.)

Liz, I've just found out, after checking our Visa statement, that our X1 was a total of $569 for two, so $284.50 each. I think my husband 'forgot' to tell me of the increase!

Nadia

Hi Jonad,

Thanks for your review.It was great to read such a positive and upbeat report about the ship,after the negative comments from previous cruisers.

I do have some questions,hope you don't mind.

Gratuities...any problems?Or was there ready acceptance that these were prepaid in with the fare.

Airport to ship...Did you take a cab?If so what was the cost?

Dress Code....what was the requirement for the formal/gala nights in the dining room?

What did you do for currency in Brunei and Kota Kinabalu?

Was the tap water in the cabin safe for drinking?

Was there much "rocking and rollling"by the ship?will we need lots of seasick pills?... lolicon7.gif

Can't think of anything else at present,

Thanks again for the review,glad you had such a good cruise.

Dianella2

Hi Dianella 2

Gratuities was not a problem. We just weren't charged, but as i've already said we did give our waitress a tip as she was very good. That of course is not compulsory or expected.

From the airport to the ship we ended up taking the MRT as we arrived around 5.30 a.m. and had a lot of time to kill. We changed trains twice and it was very easy and not crowded at that time of day, so i can't tell you about the taxi fare, but i believe around $25.

The dress code for Gala nights varied enormously. Some men wore dinner suits and bow ties and others just a short sleeved shirt. For women also it varied. We always dressed up as we thought it was a good chance to wear clothes which usually just hang in the wardrobe. So whatever you like, don't stress.

In Brunei we already had some Brunei dollars from a previous trip, but also changed some US$ at a money changer. In Kota Kinabalu we change US$ into Malaysian Ringit at a money changer as well. You can walk to the town from the port in about 30 minutes. Shops open around 10a.m.

The tap water isn't really for drinking, though ther are no signs saying so. The cold water looked o.k. but the hot water was a bit discouloured, slightly orange. We spoke with people who said theirs was terrible, a deep orange...true or exagerrated I don't know!

Drinking water is always available at the Yacht club. You can take away the cups or fill your own bottle.

Ice is provided in your cabin each day and you can drink that when it melts as well.

Rocking and Rolling? Nothing to worry about. It got a little wobbly between Danang and HK, and again from HK to KK as we were in the open sea. It was like being 'slightly drunk'. I certainly had no sea sick feeling. I believe you can get free pills from reception. We certainly didn't need them.

I really hope you have a nice time. Any more questions, I'm here.

Nadia.

Hi Dianella2

We have booked in the Transit hotel at Singapore Airport as we arrive at 5.30am in the morning - flying Jetstar. Jetstar lands at terminal 1 - so you can book in the hotel for a nanny nap - but you don't clear customs until you leave the hotel. We have booked a 6 hour block - so we will be refreshed!!!!!!!! and ready for the cruise. Anyone flying Tiger cannot book in the hotel as they land at another terminal -and cannot access the hotel.

We booked on line direct with the hotel - and you don't pay until you get there - but they give you a reservation no. You cannot pick your luggage up until you clear customs - so we have to work out how that works when we get there. We flew Tiger for the Virgo Cruise at Christmas 2007 and tried to book the hotel - but they told us we couldn't - reasons above.

Hope this is of interest for anyone who is on the Red Eye

It is SGD 76.51 per double occupancy per room for a 6 hour block

Denise

You asked about dancing. They also having dancing lessons most days. Our teacher was Leonardo from the Dominican Republic. He was very entertaining.

Arts and crafts are offered most days as well, if you're into that.

Sudoku, darts tournament, an ongoing quiz..only on days at sea (we came 3rd!), cocktail making demonstrations, chinese and italian lessons. Seminars in the gym, 'how to achieve a flatter stomach, how to get rid of cellulite etc. Ruben was very intersting.

You'll be kept entertained.

Nadia

Dizzy Liz

I remember you asked me, before cruising, about water and drinks being taken on board at ports. The Today clearly states 'no food and drink to be taken on board', but i did see people doing this. One just walked on with a large bottle of water and i know of others who had alcohol in their backpack and got through. Everything is x rayed so they would have seen it. So you'll have to make up your own mind. If anything is confiscated they return it to you when you disembark in Singapore. If you have the X1 you probably won't really need anything else. Remember those 2 for 1 5 euro cocktails!!!

They don't provide free water in the cabin like the Gemini does. There is a large bottle waiting on the desk on arrival, and you may think 'great free water', but on reading the label attached you'll see it says they will charge your account once the bottle is opened.

Hi Nadia

Forgot to ask - you mention tea/coffee making facilities in the cabin. We are in the cheap and cheerfuls - inside cabin, are tea/coffee facilities available for insiders? Assuming there is - is everything provided?

Dizzy Lizzy

Hi Dizzy

We were also in the cheap and cheerful cabin, which we found perfect as we didn't rock and roll at all. We were on deck 3, centre ship, so it was perfect.

Yes facilities are available there too. A small kettle and sachets of a couple of different types of tea and coffee. If you don't like whats there, there is an assortment at the Yacht club which i'm sure you can take back to the cabin. We used bottled water in the kettle. We found the ship water had a strange odour probably due to the filtering process (kind of a chlorine odour) and i couldn't drink the coffee served at dinner. If you have the X1 just ask for a bottle of still water after the meal and use that...or even the diluted ice in your ice bucket!!

My husband bought several espressos from the bar and they were good, must be bottled water (3 euro total)

I believe you have to call room service if you want milk (which of course is the long life variety) Why can't they keep a couple of cows on board???:rolleyes:

Thanks Nadia

We are on deck 5 and I shall wear sticky gloves so that the coffee and milk satchets from the restaurant stick to my fingers on the way down. (I believe others have done that - I read it in a review some time ago - but didn't realise they had tea/coffee making facilities in the cheap seats)

Yahooo

I also forgot to mention you should take a power adaptor (if you need one of course, for camera battery, phone) We took our own so I'm not sure whether Costa supply them, but i doubt it. They have the Italian plugs with two rounded prongs.

Nadia.

Jonad - you beat me to it but I will post our review as well.

On the water - we found the drinking fountain in the gym the best place to top up our bottles for trips etc. but also took "Tang" to add to the bottles which made it much more drinkable

On the bringing alcohol onto the ship - we met people who had it down to a fine art. Apparantly if you put it inot a plastic drinking bottle and carry round your neck (or on your person) and walk through the machine there are no problems. This particlaur person brought at least 2 bottles back on every time we went ashore. And although some people were asked to give over their water I know at least 2 who said no to the security man and just walked off with it and the guards just let them go!!

Hi All

Steggs I knew you were on the cruise, but didn't know what you looked like. I'm sure we must have crossed paths. So happy you enjoyed it too.

Dawnie, I typed a post for you on the other site. I tried looking for you on the Sunday on lido deck...but didn't know who i was looking for, then it started raining and we moved away. I knew you had two kids 13 and 15 but didn't know their sex...and they wouldn't have hung around with you anyway. Sorry we didn't meet up. I hope you enjoyed your holiday as well. I'm sure we must have seen each other. We should post a photo!

I didn't know about the water in the gym.

You certainly seem to have got your moneys worth from the X1 card. Thats good. When you ordered drinks on deck, during meal times, did you order them from the drink waiter walking around, or did you go back into the Yacht club to order?? We tried asking the drink waiter on one occasion but he said we couldn't do it through him.

• 2 weeks later...

Jonad, thanks for all the helpful information. We've had mixed experiences with Costa, including food poisoning on the Concordia, so we are glad you had such a good time.

We are trying to juggle some things for the June 13 cruise and need to know how many pages of your passport were used for entry/exit and visa stamps! In Feb. we were on the Costa Victoria in the Persian Gulf and our passports were stamped in and out in all countries...now we may be short pages for this cruise.

Thanks for the help.

Archived