Review on Costa Allegra

jonad

Twaincruisers,

Food poisoning...that's a worry. I'm happy to say we had no such problems. Thats an interesting questions about passport stamps, somthing which I would not have thought of. We (in Australia) need to have 6 months left on our passport before travel and thats all we worried about, though our pages were running low as well.

I've check and we were stamped in and out of every port with Vietnam being the only exception (2 ports but only stamped in and out once).

I'm sure stamps can overlap if they have to!!

Good luck.

Jonad.

Although I a British (different passport) I have travelled extensively and I have found that some time I have had many countries using the same page:The person stamping your passport probably liked to stamp on a clean page But that doesnt mean he had too

Thanks for the info. Our experience has been that immigration never wants to stamp on a page with some other country (and that is especially true of the US!) So we are filling out the paper work right now and the passports are off to Washington to be stuffed with more pages.

:Dthanks for the great review Jonad.:p

Twaincruiser

I have travelled a fair bit and find that with our aussie passports that thay will stamp on any page with or without another visa/entry on it. Looking at my last 3 passports - the stamping is random and not in order - evening missing pages.

Hope this helps you? .

Getting excited now.......

Regards

Virginia, Stephen, Phillip, Melissa, Irene and Robert.

Maccas

So happy you enjoyed my review. I just hope you enjoy the cruise as much as we did and that I haven't built things up too much....but that was my opinion. I keep saying, just go with no expectations and you'll love it.

As far as passports go, I agree with you. We have pages unstamped and others all over the place. I am really confused though at this last trip (the cruise). Both of us were not stamped when leaving or entering Australia.....unless they are now invisible stamps!!!!:confused:

Maccas, we decided to chance it with the passports because we would have to spend a lot of money to expedite. So we are depending on your experience with passports and visas to get us through! :) We have learned that one place we intend to go, Bantam, Indonesia, uses a full page stamp for the visa. Singapore doesn't require a visa but issues social visit passes. And I just remembered that these passes are paper and you must keep half to turn in when you leave so that will save some passport space. In the Persian Gulf we had all kinds of stamping approaches that included visa and entry/exit stamps which is why we are a bit concerned. And part of the problem is places like Frankfurt where they stamped us in on one clean page and out on another clean page. The Persian Gulf states at least stamped on the same page!

Some people have reported that Brunei required a visa but my research indicated it was not required for US citizens for 90 days and for many other countries for a shorter period of time. I'm finding it interesting that those who need visas can apply to a British consulate and Brunei and Singapore currency is interchangeable.

All this talk of passport stamps had me looking at mine since I did the cruise last year and then went to the US for 4 days in the autumn. My passport is littered with stamps, many overlapping each other, others are on their own. Oddly the one I got at Houston airport is sat right across the one I for in Sanya, China...the irony and mischief in me says maybe a bit of one-up-mans-ship ;) But I still have a couple of spare pages for the next one...with another 18 countries (I think) to add to the collection of stamps, including a visa for India. Other stamps that made me smile a little bit were from the Falklands and Argentina.....the Falklands planted firmly over the Argentine one. The countries may have their differences that cannot be shown in full view, but they do occasionally show them in more subtle ways occasionally :)

I really enjoyed your review Nadia, and hope that everyone going on the same cruise tween now and when I take 'leggy home to Italy next year have a great time too :)

Thanks for your great review Jonad. We are cruising on Costa Allegra from Hong Kong to Singapore, boarding on 19th June. We are first time cruisers, so we are gathering as much info as we can. Have read many varied reviews of Costa Allegra, but are determined to have an open mind and determination to enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Was interested to read that the ship arranged visas for Brunei as that was one of our concerns. Have purchased two X1 drinks packages - we paid a total of A$296.

We are counting down now and looking forward to a great time.

Hi All

we have been on this site (below)and booked our own independant tours.

Hong kong-we have booked the big bus open top which includes the star ferry and the cable car up and back to (peak) mount vic. AUD$50.00

Tonight we are going to book the tours in Singapore as they are really cheap. The Sentosa and the city tour and the Raffles etc are the cheapest we have seen. There is also a tour across the causeway to maylasia Malacca, which steve and I did it back in 1988. The cost of this is under AUD$30.00

I have even phoned the company as it has a australian phone number and they are very helpfull.

www.city-discovery.com

Hope this helps? decide for yourself.

Regards

The Maccas

Hi ParkCruiser

You can get on the MRT from Harbourfront and it will take you wherever you like. We took it to Orchard Road.

I can't tell you the distance, as its hard to judge when you are speeding along in a train.

Its very easy to get around Singapore either on foot or by MRT.

You can also go to Sentosa from Harbourfront as its only about 100mts across the water.

I looked at TheMaccas site and the tours do look good and very cheap, especially when compared to the Costa cruise prices.

To The Maccas. I'd be interested in your comments of the tours you do, on your return....for our future holidays.;)

Thanks.

Jonad

Hi Jonad,

I've been busy researching tours etc. and finding it hard in some cases to ferret out the info I need.

In your review you said that at Kota Kinabalu,you walked out of the port.

About how far would you estimate it was from the ship to the port gates?How long did it take you to walk?

Thanks in advance for your help:)

Dianella2.

Hi Dianella,

We estimate maybe about 5 minutes walk!!?? Its really hard to remember. Then about 15-20 to walk to the city, just strolling along. There were taxis at the gate though. Don't know how much as we didn't need to ask.

I have news! We enjoyed the Costa Allegra so much my husband has just booked a 33 day cruise for next April, from Singapore to Civitavecchia (Italy) yay. He is taking advantage of his long service leave.:D

You must be counting down now!

Hi Jonad/Dianella 2

We are back.

Just a quick reply for Dianella 2 - it was very hot - (what a surprise) so at Kota Kinabula we walked to the port gate - there were taxi's asking $8.00 us - we said no - kept on walking past them - another said he'd take us for $5.00 - we said no - and as we kept on walking another driver approached us - we told him we would pay $2.00us - he said yes - took us to town- and we gave him $5.00us.

I will knock something up over the weekend - we came home a day earlier - changed the flight to Friday. So here's something for you to think about - a ship to shore call to Aus was 41-00Euro for 6.58 mins - or a good old $82.00 aus. We did every shore trip on our own using the shuttle service - cost of our trips in total: 38.00 Euro to Costa.

Shuttle bus to Ho Chi Min 7.00 euro each (14)

Shuttle bus to Da Nang 6.00 euro each (12)

Shuttle bus to Robinson Mall Manilla 6.00 euro each (12)

There are two visa's to pay for - Vietnam 4.50euro each and Brunei 10.00 euro each.

You might have guessed I am into the fiscal side - I will put it all in my review when I do it.

So fire away - I have the drinks menu - excursion costs - and even the To-day programs to check everthing over and my notes that I made re the ship

Will collate what I have and do a review

regards

Hi Dizzy,

Welcome home!!!

I'm looking forward to your review,after reading your post this AM I might rethink booking some of the tours I've been looking at.But I'll wait to read your review.

The main and biggest question is..how was the ship?and did you have a good time overall?

Regards,

Dianella2.

Hi Jonad/Dianella 2

We are back.

Just a quick reply for Dianella 2 - it was very hot - (what a surprise) so at Kota Kinabula we walked to the port gate - there were taxi's asking $8.00 us - we said no - kept on walking past them - another said he'd take us for $5.00 - we said no - and as we kept on walking another driver approached us - we told him we would pay $2.00us - he said yes - took us to town- and we gave him $5.00us.

I will knock something up over the weekend - we came home a day earlier - changed the flight to Friday. So here's something for you to think about - a ship to shore call to Aus was 41-00Euro for 6.58 mins - or a good old $82.00 aus. We did every shore trip on our own using the shuttle service - cost of our trips in total: 38.00 Euro to Costa.

Shuttle bus to Ho Chi Min 7.00 euro each (14)

Shuttle bus to Da Nang 6.00 euro each (12)

Shuttle bus to Robinson Mall Manilla 6.00 euro each (12)

There are two visa's to pay for - Vietnam 4.50euro each and Brunei 10.00 euro each.

You might have guessed I am into the fiscal side - I will put it all in my review when I do it.

So fire away - I have the drinks menu - excursion costs - and even the To-day programs to check everthing over and my notes that I made re the ship

Will collate what I have and do a review

regards

Whilst you are complaining or do you say wingeing it cost Brits 30 Uk pounds each for a visa to enter your country

Hi Dianella,

We estimate maybe about 5 minutes walk!!?? Its really hard to remember. Then about 15-20 to walk to the city, just strolling along. There were taxis at the gate though. Don't know how much as we didn't need to ask.

I have news! We enjoyed the Costa Allegra so much my husband has just booked a 33 day cruise for next April, from Singapore to Civitavecchia (Italy) yay. He is taking advantage of his long service leave.:D

You must be counting down now!

Nice one Nadia, so we might just bump into each other along the way then :D:D

Hi Ally

Yes I'm sure we'll meet over the course of 33 days. Should be a lot of fun, but its such a long way away. I'm not used to booking holidays so far in advance! My husband actually booked without telling me!!;) He tried to get our 'old' cabin but we had slim pickings and have 4010.

I did read your other message on the other cruise site, that a little birdy told you we'd be on the same cruise!

I never quite know which site to read, but i seem to stick with this one more as its the one I'm used to...anyway I'm sure we'll chat more over the coming 10 months or so!

I'll probably be asking some questions as it get closer, mainly related to Visas as you say we'll need one for India...I assume that applies to us Australians as well??

Ello Nadia :)

Yep, it is a while off yet but it will be alot of fun and should be a fascinating voyage with lots of different cultures to experience along the way :)

I don't visit the other site now that I have resigned as their admin, so tend to float around with alot more freedom now, which is quite nice :)

I am on deck 4 aswell this time. I did have deck 5 last year but being under the dressingroom of the show lounge was a tad noisy, it was my own fault though as had not checked the deckplans properly :o Got a single inside cabin as usual, so looking forward to that again too.

As for visa's, the only one I know I am responsible for getting is the Indian, which is just under 40 quid for a multi entry one that lasts 6 months...they don't do multi entry visa's lasting a shorter period of time, but for 40 quid, it's no hardship. Not sure what you'll need although it should tell you on the Costa site in that regard - click on 'already booked' then scroll down to 'travel documents & visa requirements'. All the countries that are visited are listed there and whether or not a visa is required or whether supplied on board ship and charged via the on board account.

I think the most 'fun' will be packing for the trip, 20kg weight allowance will test my packing expertise but nothing that will defeat me, I'm sure ;)

That was a quick reply!

Thanks for that info. I'll have a look.

Packing will be very interesting! Over 30 days worth, then we may still have a month in Europe...washing clothes on board??? no ironing!!!

Oh well, we'll all look scrappy together!!:)

I shall be taking enough to cover two thirds of the cruise and then having some laundered on the ship. Shoes will go into the hand luggage this time as leaving the laptop at home, that should free up alot of the weight allowance in the case. Since most of the trip is in warm to hot weather, cotton skirts and tops take up next to no space/weight in a case, so should be OK...fingers crossed :)

Formals should be easy enough too since most passengers will be leaving at India...it will be quite nice to wave them all off LOL.

Whilst you are complaining or do you say wingeing it cost Brits 30 Uk pounds each for a visa to enter your country

Hi McDermott

I can't see anywhere in my quick review that has the word complain in it. As for whinging - I don't see that word either. Don't know where you are coming from

Regards

Archived