Dawn or Majesty to Bermuda in October?

njhorseman

We're veteran cruisers and have been to Bermuda more times than I can count on several cruise lines, including last October on the Dawn (our third cruise on that ship). We are considering another cruise to Bermuda this October. We live almost exactly mid way between NY and Philadelphia, so either port is convenient.

I almost automatically started to reserve a cabin on the Dawn...we like the ship...and our first instinct is to cruise from either NY or Bayonne (but RCI is only offering 5 day Bermuda cruises from Bayonne, which we've also done) when it struck me that perhaps we should try the Majesty.

Obviously, I know the Majesty is an older, smaller ship without all the amenities and choices of the Dawn, but I have no problem with older, smaller ships per se...we did three Bermuda cruises on Celebrity's Zenith and were disappointed when she was sold.

Here's my dilemma. We always book a mini-suite on the Dawn, Gem, etc. We like a the little bit of extra room it provides (including the bigger bathroom with the tub) and find the location on the high deck to be convenient. I really like to use the balcony when we are in Bermuda. It's a great place to just chill out in the evening. The Majesty doesn't have anything like a mini-suite...or even an ordinary balcony stateroom. I think I'd have to book an AB suite, but even that doesn't look so attractive in the pictures on the NCL site. Also the description includes the "some cabins have obstructed views" warning, and the last thing I want in Bermuda is an obstructed view!:eek:

Then there's the St. George's vs Dockyard controversy. St George's is quaint and the beach is nearby, but it isn't as nice a beach with as good facilities or the warm water of Horseshoe...which is a short bus ride from Dockyard. Also it's much easier to get from Dockyard to Hamilton on the high speed ferry.

OK...so there's the dilemma. I'm obviously dazed and confused, and would like to hear the opinions of others.

I'm just going to sit back and read your responses. Not an additional word from me (other than "thanks for your opinions") unless someone asks a question.

Thanks.

Hi !

I love the Dawn been on it three times. I have been on the Majesty once and loved it too. I am going in October back on the Majesty...its last licks on it. Its less expensive than the Dawn and I am taking one of my grand sons. Driving to Phily is a snap(two hours door to door from NY) the parking is fine and much cheaper than NYC=pays for driving down...

I would choose the Dawn. DH and our two kids and I just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Dawn a few weeks ago. I really like to go to Cagneys and LeBistro on a cruise and tend to get tired of the main dining room's menus. I am a Phila. native, but have never cruised out of Phila. We did do a cruise on the Dawn out of New York a few years ago in Nov. It was a little rocky coming home, but the view as you leave New York City is amazing. The only thing that would make me choose the Majesty over the Dawn would be a significant savings in price. We drove from Baltimore(dropped kids off in Phila to stay with grandparents) and drove to the port in New York very easily. It is not far from the tunnel. Hope this helps.

I've been on both the Dawn and the Majesty and love both ships for different reasons. First, you understand it's an older ship and say you like the older ships so if you know that going in, there's nothing to be disappointed about in the Majesty. There are different things to like about each ship and I love them both in different ways. Most people aren't prepared for the 'older/smaller' ship and expect bells and whistles as they see in the commercials, and that's just not the Majesty. She has a unique character all her own and I'll be so disappointed if I can't get on her again before she leaves the fleet. And her crew is the best I've ever had at sea, and I've been on a dozen cruises.

As for being docked in St. Georges for 3 days, for me, it's the best itinerary hands down. Everything is within the reach of your fingertips just outside the door when you walk off the dock and into the square. Tobacco Bay is a great snorkeling beach and there are a few other small one's. No, it isn't Horseshoe, but then again, if you've been to Horseshoe and the others, I say get a new experience by taking the Majesty and docking in St. George while you can.

It's easy to get a bus/ferry pass and take to where you need to go. I'd suggest checking out St. Georges and surrounding areas and then you can always plan a day to go to Horseshoe if you wish. If getting to Horseshoe is a priority, it isn't like it isn't possible from St. Georges. Again, easy to accomplish with a bus/ferry pass.

So personally, I'd suggest you go for the Majesty and the experience of both the ship and docking in St. Georges while you can. The Dawn and that itinerary will be there for the future years, but the Majesty won't.

Since you love sitting on the balcony in Bermuda (as we do), then the Dawn wins hands down. Majesty does not have any balconies at all. That's why we will never sail on her. We live less than an hour from Baltimore. Yet, we still drive to NYC to be on the Dawn because we absolutely HAVE to have a balcony. When the kids are asleep at night in the second bedroom of the AB, we still go out there for a nightcap so we can talk and laugh and not worry about waking them up.

Did want to add that as for the rooms, the AB will give you a little more space and I don't think the possible obstructed view is that obstructed in the AB suites. Try to look at the deck plans and figure out which one's aren't. When I went, we had a C (I think, or a CC, whichever was the highest category just below the suites) and our room was on the 9th deck, the same as the suites. We had lifeboats in front of our window but we were right in between and it wasn't that 'obstructed' at all. But since you don't have a balcony, making it somewhat less attractive to hang out in your room anyway, I say weigh the options of what your priorities are. That's what I did in first deciding to cruise the Majesty. I figured if I didn't have a balcony, I wouldn't be spending so much time in the room anyway, so I went with the C and glad I did.

Thought I would offer this for your info. There is a list that has been posted, showing % obstructed view for Majesty suites (one post is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=13337029&postcount=2.) We were in suite 911 last summer and took these photos: http://travel.webshots.com/album/566338777OVQYtz?vhost=travel. Note the photo of the obstructed view due to the lifeboat; this is said to be 50% obstructed, according to the list.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Ganders...those pictues of the suite and the link to the percentage obstruction list were particularly useful.

I have a question on suite benefits on the Majesty. I understand there is a concierge but no butler (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!), which is fine with us...we would not likely use the service of either, but do suite (AB and AA) passengers have a "private" dining room for breakfast and lunch? On the newer, larger ships you can eat in Cagney's. Is there anything similar on the Majesty?

Thanks once again.

Something you may not have thought of in the Majesty ABs not only is the view blocked in some of them the window seals are blown on almost all the windows to some degree, some worse than others. I was in the first one forward on the Port side and while it was not obstructed it did have the blown seals making things cloudy.

Also in October you will be on one of the very last runs on the Majesty before she leaves the fleet for good. So I am imagining the upkeep will get less and less as that day approaches.

I love the Majesty and don't want to see her go but that is the state of things.

Just another thing to consider.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Ganders...those pictues of the suite and the link to the percentage obstruction list were particularly useful.

I have a question on suite benefits on the Majesty. I understand there is a concierge but no butler (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!), which is fine with us...we would not likely use the service of either, but do suite (AB and AA) passengers have a "private" dining room for breakfast and lunch? On the newer, larger ships you can eat in Cagney's. Is there anything similar on the Majesty?

Thanks once again.

no Butler but Le Bistro is used for a private lunch and Breakfast area for suite passengers!

I too would vote for the Majesty as it's the last time you'd be able to sail her.

I stayed in an AB (915, no obstruction) and thought it was great. The "jut out" sitting area was the next best thing to a balcony as it allowed you to look forward and aft. We were very pleased with the room over all. The full-sized couch and full-sized marble bath were particularly nice.

Hi! Thought I would add my opinion also...I was on the Majesty last year, in an AB, some obstruction...not enough that it bothered me...I am going again this Oct on it again...and thanks to that "list" I was able to get 915(no obstruction) but if that wasn't available, I would take another. I thought the rooms were well thought out, and the suite perks! I have been ruined...it was so nice to go to LeBistro for breakfast and lunch...the concierge (Florentina)...the best....we didn't need a butler...the room stewards were awesome! I will have to be pulled kicking and screaming back to a OV..lol. But as another poster stated..the seating area by the "bay windows" was lovely...and when i wanted to sit outside, the ship is small enough to just go down 1 floor to the back of deck 8..SSSHHH..don't tell anybody about that little known gem. I loved being in St George for..its beautiful..quaint..full of history..I love Tobacco Bay...others may not...thats ok..there are other beaches on that end of the island....I also love Horseshoe Bay, yes it does take a little more planning to get there from St George, but doable...is that even a word? Get the transportation pass...ferry at 10 to Dockyard..nice trip...if you want to shop there, the glassworks..and rumcake place will send your purchases to the ship for you, grab the bus to HSB..the walk down is easy...enjoy..get back up the hill foot or van..grab the bus either back to Dockyard and ferry to St. George...or take the bus to Hamilton..grab a snack/drink on the upstairs deck at Flanigans overlooking the harbour...bus it back to St George...or take the commuter ferry..check out the schedules for times.

Now on the other hand, I am also going on the Dawn in June to Bermuda...first time on a bigger ship...and yes, another suite...can't help it...I have been bitten by the "suite" bug...I can adjust...as long a I can get to Bermuda...but if I could only do 1 this year...Majesty...St George...Philly... Either way, its a win/win...enjoy!

Well, I guess I"m going to put my two cents in. I have no issue with smaller, older ships - sailed on the Crown for my very first cruise that got me addicted to crusing. With that said, I really did not enjoy the Majesty at all, but I loved docking in St. Georges. You can walk to Tobacco Bay and it's absolutely beautiful with warm calm waters and full facilities. There is no question that I would book again on the Dawn. So far, that is hands down, my favorite ship. But the Dawn, I believe, docks at the wharf which is my least favorite in Bermuda.

Ronni G

OP asked whether to cruise the Dawn or the Majesty in October. One can only give their personal opinion. We chose the Majesty for her final cruise on October 24, 2009 for several reasons.

We had never sailed on the Majesty. Her parents had and loved it.

We have never been to Bermuda and have read it is wonderful.

The Majesty can get to St. George. We don't mind taking public transportation or excursions to see other sights in the dockyards and Hamilton, and the beaches.

We want to be on the Majesty at least once and this is our final chance. I don't mind a smaller ship. In fact, I rather prefered the Spirit versus the Jewel class ships. We have sailed on the Dawn as well. Given the fact it is just the two of us, we got an aft near outside on deck 9; I think we will love her!:)

For what it's worth NJ, I loved the Dawn also when we sailed her to Canada/New England last fall. I bought my Future Cruise Reward while onboard with plans to sail to Bermuda this summer. We live about 20 minutes from the port of Baltimore, and I really couldn't decide which ship to take...the Majesty or the Dawn.

So many people talked about sailing through the cut and docking at St. George being so great, plus the fact that we could book a suite for a lot less on the Majesty then on the Dawn, and finally the fact that time is running short to experience the Majesty, all made our decision for us.

I've never been to Bermuda and have been told that it's "all about Bermuda" so even though I'm looking forward to experiencing the Majesty, any doubts that I had about her size, etc, I put aside to enjoy 3 days docked in St. George.

CG

I too would vote for the Majesty as it's the last time you'd be able to sail her.

I agree. Last chance to see why Majesty has so many devoted fans and it appears to be the last chance to cruise out of Philly where you can enjoy the historic sites before or after your cruise vacation. :cool:

Archived