Any recent Brilliance cruisers, need urgent help!!

Sue L

I found excellent airfare coming back to NY from Barcelona, but the only problem is that it is at 9am. What are may chances of making it? The cruiseline for their transfers say no earlier then 10am but if we self disembark and grab a taxi, will we make it?

So what time did you get off the ship and then get to the airport in Barcelona?

Hi. I think that anybody you ask will tell you it sounds kind of cutting it close. What time is the ship expected to start letting people off the ship? 6:30/7:00 AM? What happens if the ship gets delayed docking. I am flying back to New York from Barcelona on Delta in June. Originally it was a 10 AM flight, but they re-scheduled it for 11:30. I'd look for something later in the day rather than walking on egg shells wondering if you are going to make the flight.

Hi. I think that anybody you ask will tell you it sounds kind of cutting it close. What time is the ship expected to start letting people off the ship? 6:30/7:00 AM? What happens if the ship gets delayed docking. I am flying back to New York from Barcelona on Delta in June. Originally it was a 10 AM flight, but they re-scheduled it for 11:30. I'd look for something later in the day rather than walking on egg shells wondering if you are going to make the flight.

If the cruise line had their transfers later I would agree with you but it is a toss up for me on this one. the roundtrip non-stop is 581$ per person, so very hard to pass up.

Do they have the same pricing the following day at that time, Sue? Maybe it would be worth spending a day in Barcelona at that rate...

I personally wouldn't risk it, nor would I suggest it to my clients. It looks like this is a trip for you and your family, but if it was one of your clients taking the cruise, what would you recommend?

Do they have the same pricing the following day at that time, Sue? Maybe it would be worth spending a day in Barcelona at that rate...

I personally wouldn't risk it, nor would I suggest it to my clients. It looks like this is a trip for you and your family, but if it was one of your clients taking the cruise, what would you recommend?

If it was for one of my clients I wouldn't suggest it. I am already pushing the vacation day envelope with this trip and I hate to ask my boss who is being incredibly generous. It is for my 25th anniversary.

If it was for one of my clients I wouldn't suggest it. I am already pushing the vacation day envelope with this trip and I hate to ask my boss who is being incredibly generous. It is for my 25th anniversary.

Somehow I thought that would be your answer... :) It sounds to me like you really don't think it's a good idea, but you're trying to convince yourself it would be ok because of the savings. I know myself well enough to know that I would be totally stressed out if I put myself in that position, but maybe you're better at going with the flow than I am...

What a wonderful 25th anniversary gift to yourselves. Have a wonderful time. :)

Somehow I thought that would be your answer... :) It sounds to me like you really don't think it's a good idea, but you're trying to convince yourself it would be ok because of the savings. I know myself well enough to know that I would be totally stressed out if I put myself in that position, but maybe you're better at going with the flow than I am...

Plus I got a 540$ price drop on the cruise last week. The cruise lines transfers are 10am flights so I honestly think I would make it. My hubby thinks we should go for it.

If the cruise line had their transfers later I would agree with you but it is a toss up for me on this one. the roundtrip non-stop is 581$ per person, so very hard to pass up.
Because almost none of your fellow cruisers would take that flight, that is the reason it is only $581. I'm sure the same flight a few hours later that morning or afternoon is much more expensive.

I think your flight is probably doable but there is a also a good chance you will miss it. Only you can decide if the reduced fare is worth the risk that you end up missing the flight and then ending up paying much more to rebook.

Because very few of your fellow cruisers will elect to take that flight, that is the reason it is only $581. I'm sure the same flight later that morning or afternoon is much more expensive.

I think your flight is probably doable but there is a also a good chance you will miss it. Only you can decide if the reduced fare is worth the risk that you end up missing the flight and then ending up paying much more to rebook.

there is no later non-stop flight on Delta, if there was I would be looking at that

The flight time for transfers does seem remarkably early...

Does the airline have other options for flights that day if you didn't make it?

I'm not sure where you are... would you have a connection in NY that would be impacted if you missed the flight?

Congratulations on the price drop! That's always an awesome feeling. :)

The flight time for transfers does seem remarkably early...

Does the airline have other options for flights that day if you didn't make it?

I'm not sure where you are... would you have a connection in NY that would be impacted if you missed the flight?

Congratulations on the price drop! That's always an awesome feeling. :)

NY is my final destination so that isn't a problem and there is later flights but they stop, but I guess they could be a back up in case.

I called the cruise line 3 times to triple check their info and all said 10am

Sue

I had the same decision to make...flight leaves at 910am for a heck of a price break on the airfare. I figure the cruise has added the cushion for saying 10am The ship gets in at 6am. Somebody has to be first off, right?

I did it--but I also won't think about it again until the day before when I have to get set-up for self-assist----won't be a burden on my mind for the trip. That's my personality.

I am sailing on the May 22nd--you?

Sue

I had the same decision to make...flight leaves at 910am for a heck of a price break on the airfare. I figure the cruise has added the cushion for saying 10am The ship gets in at 6am. Somebody has to be first off, right?

I did it--but I also won't think about it again until the day before when I have to get set-up for self-assist----won't be a burden on my mind for the trip. That's my personality.

I am sailing on the May 22nd--you?

not until Oct, so I guess you will be the guinea pig. LOL. I have been watching it and watching it and it has been going down, down, down and I don't want to miss this window.

I'm goin gto also recommend either a later same day flight or next day is even better.

I've done the BCN-JFK trip on Swiss Air in 2007, it was a great trip, we had a 930AM flight and we were at the airport 3 hours early, after all the lines we only had a 20 min wait at the doors to the planes.

Barcelona is a busy airport and the early flights are also busy.

Enjoy an extra day in Barcelona, take the double decker tour bus and see the sights.

We'll prob end up doing a TA again to Barcelona in the near future.

Sue:

We are on Century in Mid October and I just bit the bullet and stayed the extra day in BCN. I just didn't want the stress of worrying about not making the flight. Though we do return on a Saturday so I have one extra weekend day to get home. Returning to work will be hard for Ms. Flagger because of our late arrival back home.

Someone earlier on the boards say that you actually dock in BCN around 3:30 in the morning, but it would be just my luck for the port to be closed due to a fisherman's strike.

No matter what we are looking forward to almost two weeks away from home.

Sue, sounds like a neat 25th anniversary trip.

I'd check to see how often the ship is late getting into port as the major concern. Sounds like you can make the self-off and self-xfr and be at the airport on time... Voyager was late getting in 2x I know of this year, both times with me aboard, glad I never had to fly home after these cruises...but as smoothly as all the other sailings went, I was shocked when I woke up Sunday to see that we were is the ship parking zone outside the Sea Bouy...not again!!!

The other thing I'd check, what is the cost of missing the flight....if you are out another grand per ticket that could be a harsh penalty if things are just a bit late that day. If you can get by with another flight no extra costs, other than your time, then go for it if there are other connections you can catch and still get home the same day.

sue,

we just got off brilliance yesterday (had an awesome time). my group disembarded at 6:40 (first group). we had our luggage and were sitting in the taxi at 6:50. we arrived at the airport at 7:15. it is definately doable.

hope this helps!

I had a 10:45 flight out of BCN last summer. I think we got off the ship (one of the first off) around 7am and arrived at the airport around 7:45. I think it is doable, but if anything goes wrong, you have a very small time window in which to recover.

The ship must dock on time, you must be the first person off, and nothing can go wrong. It does sound exciting though.

Sue...I would also check how many ships will be debarking in Barcelona that morning. We have flown from Barcelona twice and both times the airport was a zoo in the early morning! We waited in line to check our bags for almost an hour and then had to go throughsecurity, get to the gate, etc.. I think that morning there were 1 or 2 other ships debarking. I hope you can do it. That is a great price for air. Good Luck!

Sue are flight home that day doesn't suit us so we're staying an extra day in Barcelona - if you don't mind me asking whats your home airport and i'll have a look at flights from this side of the pond.

jj......

Sue...I would also check how many ships will be debarking in Barcelona that morning. We have flown from Barcelona twice and both times the airport was a zoo in the early morning! We waited in line to check our bags for almost an hour and then had to go throughsecurity, get to the gate, etc.. I think that morning there were 1 or 2 other ships debarking. I hope you can do it. That is a great price for air. Good Luck!

The above is a good idea.

We were on the Brilliance at Christmas and February. Takes about 30 to 40 minutes to airport. taxis are lined up outside of the terminal. it can take anything from 5-20 minutes to get a taxi depending in the queue. As you are leaving early this should not be a problem.

the problem is the airport check in and security the fastest we did it was 30minutes the longest 80.

might be better to go the following day bb and em about 100 euros.

you can do it if every thing runs smoothly

good luck and enjoy the cruise

sue are flight home that day doesn't suit us so we're staying an extra day in barcelona - if you don't mind me asking whats your home airport and i'll have a look at flights from this side of the pond.

Jj......

jfk...thanks

Archived