Self Guided Walking Tour Stanley Park, Restaurant Recommendations.

Hello!! My husband and I would like to ask for your help once again. I’ve pretty much laid out our itinerary already, but have tons more questions to ask. Help on any of the questions is greatly appreciated, as I know these are too many!!

Self guided walking tour of Stanley Park,

We don’t wish to spend on books, paid walking tours, nor in the trolley and carriage ride. Since there is no more free shuttle within the park, we hope to do a self guided walk by ourselves. Is this possible? We don’t bike.

If yes, does anyone know where I can a map and guide? I’ve found walking tours for Granville and Gastown but I can’t seem to find a link to a good walking tour in Stanley Park.

Restaurant recommendations?

Can you also help us with restaurants? We hope to only spend around CAD 20 on food, including tips.. I understand 15% is normal? We are willing to spend more though for some meals if CAD 20 is too low or if meals are really good. We do not have big appetites so was planning on maybe sharing an order if portions are big.

We are not beer nor wine drinkers. Western, Chinese, Japanese are all fine with us.

Below is a list of places where we will be having lunch and dinner, together with some restaurants I happened to come across in the net. I need your comments and help if these are really ok. Will these fit my budget?

Also, are there special food items that i shouldn’t miss ordering or buying that’s unique to Canada?

- Lunch and Dinner: Victoria restaurant recommendations?

- lunch : inside pacific center (will just choose any Food Court restaurant when we get there)

- dinner : robson street (which among Rosie's, Earl's, Milestones, Cactus Club, Red Robin?- gotten from CC )

- lunch : Gastown (Moose's Downunder- read it gets full most of the time or Spaghetti Factory?- gotten from CC)

- lunch : Steveston Village (Steveston Seafood House?- chose it based on steveston website, no actual feedback read)

- dinner: Richmond Center (Shi-Art or White spot?- gotten from Richmond Center website, no actual feedback read)

- lunch : within stanley park (Sequoia Grill or Prospect Point Cafe?- just wrote these based on what’s available)

- lunch : Granville Island (Bridges Restaurant Patio- gotten from a blog)

- Dinner : chinatown (Floata Seafood Restaurant- gotten from a blog)

- Dinner: Richmond

Again, thanks in advance!!

Hello!! My husband and I would like to ask for your help once again. I’ve pretty much laid out our itinerary already, but have tons more questions to ask. Help on any of the questions is greatly appreciated, as I know these are too many!!

We don’t wish to spend on books, paid walking tours, nor in the trolley and carriage ride. Since there is no more free shuttle within the park, we hope to do a self guided walk by ourselves. Is this possible? We don’t bike.

If yes, does anyone know where I can a map and guide? I’ve found walking tours for Granville and Gastown but I can’t seem to find a link to a good walking tour in Stanley Park. If you go to the Stanley Park websit you will find printable maps and a location just in side the park where you can pcik up a free map.

Can you also help us with restaurants? We hope to only spend around CAD 20 on food, including tips.. I understand 15% is normal? We are willing to spend more though for some meals if CAD 20 is too low or if meals are really good. We do not have big appetites so was planning on maybe sharing an order if portions are big.

We are not beer nor wine drinkers. Western, Chinese, Japanese are all fine with us.

Below is a list of places where we will be having lunch and dinner, together with some restaurants I happened to come across in the net. I need your comments and help if these are really ok. Will these fit my budget?

Also, are there special food items that i shouldn’t miss ordering or buying that’s unique to Canada?

- Lunch and Dinner: Victoria restaurant recommendations? Pagliacccis http://www.pagliaccis.ca/index.htm or Milesstones

- lunch : inside pacific center (will just choose any Food Court restaurant when we get there) Great food court there

- dinner : robson street (which among Rosie's, Earl's, Milestones, Cactus Club, Red Robin?- gotten from CC ) I like Rosies over the others. You may find Earl's just a tad over your budget.

- lunch : Gastown (Moose's Downunder- read it gets full most of the time or Spaghetti Factory?- gotten from CC)Spaghetti Factory...not gourmet Italian just good old pasta. Moose Down Under is more in the business core

- lunch : Steveston Village (Steveston Seafood House?- chose it based on steveston website, no actual feedback read)

- dinner: Richmond Center (Shi-Art or White spot?- gotten from Richmond Center website, no actual feedback read)

- lunch : within stanley park (Sequoia Grill or Prospect Point Cafe?- just wrote these based on what’s available) Think you will find the Sequia over your budget.

- lunch : Granville Island (Bridges Restaurant Patio- gotten from a blog)Good choice but you will also find a food court in side the main market with great views.

- Dinner : chinatown (Floata Seafood Restaurant- gotten from a blog) Not familiar with it at all...there are just so many Chinese restaurants in the Vancouver area it is impossible to know all of them.

- Dinner: Richmond

Again, thanks in advance!!

I am sure that you will get some feedback from others.:)

Stanley Park .. It's pretty big and the hardest thing is getting around the whole thing. If you do not have a vehicle bikes are ok but there area some climbs unless you do the complete seawall.

Walking:?

Hit the Aquarium. Do some seawall with the flow counter clockwise to the Totems. Cut across to the mountain side of the park for a view of the Bridge. Walk towards the bridge and depending on the day and your energy continue the seawall around to wherever on the English Bay side or cut back over to the Aquarium and out of the park where you entered.

Steveston Fish House is $$$$ and was (haven't been there for a while) upscale. I might do the Dinner here if you really want great seafood. (It's really just an area of Richmond) Lots of great fish and chip places there for lunch. Pajo's on the water is out fav. Get grub and go back up onto the higher ground.

Richmond also: at/near the South Terminal Flying beaver Pub for Lunch on the water watching float planes.

Hi. I see that you live in the Philippines. I was born there and spent my teenage years in Manila, but I now live in Downtown Vancouver. I, too, love to travel and am a budget traveller. So with that in mind, here are some of my thoughts:

If yes, does anyone know where I can a map and guide? I’ve found walking tours for Granville and Gastown but I can’t seem to find a link to a good walking tour in Stanley Park.

- Here's a PDF Stanley Park map: http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/Stanley/pdf/stanleypark_printable.pdf

- I would recommend just walking the whole seawall - you'll see lots of interesting things and you'll get tons of photo ops. It takes about 2-2.5 hrs to do the whole seawall at a meandering pace if you start at the park entrance and walk all the way to English Bay; that is, provided you do not have any rest breaks.

- Alternatively, you can even start at Canada Place, then walk the Coal Harbour Seawall to Stanley Park Seawall then walk all the way past English Bay then take the Aquabus to Granville Island Market. If you do this, budget a whole day for this.The walk from Canada Place to the Aquabus alone will take about 3-3.5 hrs. You can spend another 2 hrs at least just exploring Granville Island.

- Since you are on a budget, I suggest you take a picnic lunch with you (get a sandwich and salad from Urban Fare or Capers) and sit under a tree in Stanley Park and have a picnic).

- You can go to the Aquarium, but it is too expensive for my liking ($20/person just to get in).

- Walk around Lost Lagoon and have a look at the Rose Garden if you wish.

- Also, try to stop by a Tourist Info Centre (there's a big one by Canada Place) - they may be able to give you some maps and give you some more guidance/information.

We hope to only spend around CAD 20 on food, including tips.. I understand 15% is normal?

- yes, 15% is more or less acceptable depending on the service you get.

- I've looked at the restaurants you have mentioned, and I think you will be spending at least $20/person including tips and taxes at those restaurants. More so for the Sequoia Grill and Bridges (you are looking at at least $100/couple). I personally would skip the Prospect Point Cafe because it is expensive (in fact, any food you purchase in Stanley Park is expensive.)

- Victoria Chinese food is on the pricey side. If you want lunch/dinner which will cost ~$20 for you and your husband, try Hon's on Robson in Vancouver.

- Milestones, Cactus Club, Earls, etc serve pretty standard fare, and you and your husband will probably spend about $35-40 including tax and tips without spending on alcoholic drinks. You'd spend a little less at White Spot

- If you're going to go to Granville Island, skip the restaurants and go for the smaller kiosks instead.

- There are a lot of sushi places everywhere in downtown (try Robson, Davie, and Denman) which will within your budget. Also try some of the Ramen and Vietnamese Pho restaurants everywhere.

- Another thing you can do if you are really on a budget - and this is what I do whenever I travel in a city - is to look for a department store and go to their food hall. The price is always very reasonable (even at Harrods!). Perhaps if you are in Pacific centre, consider going to the food hall at The Bay or at Sears. The food courts do not provide good value for money (they may be inexpensive but the quality is REALLY bad).

- In Steveston, an inexpensive alternative is to have fish and chips at Pajo's by the water. It is inexpensive and you are right by the water. It's pretty cool.

- If you want to have one nice meal during your stay and you are willing to splurge, then try the Cannery for some West Coast seafood.

- If you like Coffee, you have to get one from Caffe Artigiano - a Vancouver institution. Be ready to spend about $4 for a latte, about $2.60 for an Americano.

- for Gastown, try the Irish Heather or Brioche. I think the atmosphere there and quality of the food are better than the Old Spaghetti Factory which can also get pretty packed out especially around dinner time (the line up was outside the door last Sunday night when we drove by).

- Along Davie, try Stepho's for Greek food - huge portions for under $10 for a main dish. Not the best quality, but it is okay if you are on a budget and if you are fine with waiting in line.

It would also help if you could post where you will be staying - it would be easier to give recommendations that way.

- Victoria Chinese food is on the pricey side. If you want lunch/dinner which will cost ~$20 for you and your husband, try Hon's on Robson in Vancouver.

I guess I did not read the OP's post that well. OP was not asking if Victoria Chinese restaurant is recommended; OP was looking for recommendations in Victoria, which I have none. Therefore, what I should have said was: Victoria Chinese Restaurant, which is in the heart of downtown Vancouver, is on the pricey side.

Regarding Floata Restaurant, which was mentioned in the OP's post, it is in Chinatown, which is east of the downtown core. Still not for the budget-conscious, though. I would still go with Hon's on Robson if you are on a budget.

We've enjoyed several restaurants with reasonable costs while in Vancouver. There are many choices on Denman Street:

http://www.ukrainianvillagerestaurant.com/

This is one of our favorites.

We had a a wonderful breakfast/brunch at THE FISH HOUSE at Stanley Park. It's expensive; but, worth it for infrequent special occasions.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will definitely try most of your suggestions, as I don't think I have time to try then all!:p I'm in the process of compiling your suggestions and checking out their exact locations and menus.

Orchid, glad to hear from someone who used to live here, thanks for your budget-friendly suggestions.

I forgot to ask this- What do you think of having dinner in Grouse at the Observatory? It's pricey, but I figured maybe I will be able to save more money since entrance to Grouse is free if you dine there?

I forgot to ask this- What do you think of having dinner in Grouse at the Observatory? It's pricey, but I figured maybe I will be able to save more money since entrance to Grouse is free if you dine there?

I think it is a good idea, especially if you just order from the tasting menu for $50/person. You get to go up the sky ride, go see some shows, and then round off your day by having a nice meal, all for about $150 including tax and tip and possibly 2 non-alcoholic drinks.

Of course, you can just pay for the tram ride for ~$80/couple and save your $70 for a better meal somewhere else.

Alternatively, you can hike up the grouse grind trail and then have something to eat at the more casual - and less expensive - alternatives like Altitudes bistro or better yet, lupin's cafe. It will not cost you anything to hike up, and you only pay for your tram ride to go down (I think it costs about $5/person). One thing to remember, if you decide to hike up the grind and you are a novice hiker, is that it could prove to be moderately strenuous so you need to be in fairly good shape. The trail is narrow and steep in most areas, and it could get crowded at times - people here use it as "nature's stairmaster" - so be prepared to make way for those who are hiking faster than you. Also, make sure to wear proper footwear (no need for hiking boots, but you would need a good pair of runners and clothes that you can work out in because you will sweat). The hike up for novice hikers could take anywhere from 1.5-2.0 hrs.

There are many ways to experience Grouse Mountain for people with different budgets and considerations; one just needs to decide what is most important to one's self. Have fun.

The Observatory as you have pointed out is expensive and of course the main feature is not on the menu....it is the view. Having lived at the base of Grouse Mountain for 50 years I never knew anyone who said ..."oh' we must go to the Observatory for dinner tonight". It wouldn't be my first choice.

By the way I checked with one of my sons who was at the Flota recently and he said it was good but not certainly not inexpensive.

Thanks Orchid and Putterdude. We will reconsider our plans on Grouse. The Grouse Grind seems really popular (it even has its own facebook account:p) and I would wish to be able to do that, though we haven't done anything like that before. Dining in the Observatory will be requiring a change of clothes, which is a bit hassle is we will be doing the Grind.

Oh, thanks on Flota's feedback, Putterdude and everyone else's recommendations!

Here's my web page on hiking up the Grouse Grind - this is what got me started in websites and I still get a fair number of hits especially around this time of year as people want to know when the trail will be officially opened for the hiking season.

http://members.tripod.com/~urbantrekker/index.hike.ggrind.htm Link to the photos not working as Yahoo has closed their photo site so will have to redirect that on the next update.

Here's a thought - do you know of anyone who lives in the area - many of us locals have what is called a Grouse Annual Pass which allows us unlimited access to the mountain except for downhill skiing and also gives you big savings on taking people up to Skyride - I believe it is a 50% discount for up to four people.

You can usually tell us by the pass hanging around our neck - you could perhaps try striking up a conversation for some of us with the pass and perhaps they will "sponser" you - Grouse probably won't like me for suggesting that but I am sure it happens.

Cheers

Dennis

Here's my web page on hiking up the Grouse Grind - this is what got me started in websites and I still get a fair number of hits especially around this time of year as people want to know when the trail will be officially opened for the hiking season.

Here's a thought - do you know of anyone who lives in the area - many of us locals have what is called a Grouse Annual Pass which allows us unlimited access to the mountain except for downhill skiing and also gives you big savings on taking people up to Skyride - I believe it is a 50% discount for up to four people.

Great tip.. I hope I can gather up enough confidence and talk to locals by then :D

Thanks for the link, seems like a difficult and steep climb, but looks like it's well worth the try. Oh, I checked out your blog, great resource site. I hope to get to see the cherry blossom trees in Granville too, as I will also be going there.

The blog is a labor of love - keeps me busy and active trying to think of things to post and then actually going out an doing them - the first cruise ship arrives in Vancouver today so you know what I will be posting.

Yes the slog up Grouse is steep - think of it this way - if you had to climb up to the top of the Empire State building and there were no landings at each floor - once while climbing it I came across an amputee with artificial limb and he was slowly making his way up - we actually both make the top about the same time.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Cheers

Dennis

One of my favorite places to eat in BC is White Spot - it is not expensive - sort of like a Denny's but their BC Burgers and milkshakes are absolutely amazing. When we were last there, in 5 days we ate there 4 times. I had raved about these burgers to my husband and he just could not get enough. I wasn't impressed with the kiosk they opened at the airport though. Have a super time.

One of my favorite places to eat in BC is White Spot - it is not expensive - sort of like a Denny's but their BC Burgers and milkshakes are absolutely amazing. When we were last there, in 5 days we ate there 4 times. I had raved about these burgers to my husband and he just could not get enough. I wasn't impressed with the kiosk they opened at the airport though. Have a super time.

Order your burger Triple-O and you will sound like a local. Triple O is really just good Hellman's mayo and seafood cocktail sauce mixed together, but it has a good tang.

I also wanted to chime in on PD's suggestion to eat at the food court at Granville Island. You can pick up some cheese, good bread, and fruit and make a nice little meal. Then you could go for a drink at Bridges.

Viv

Hey there :)

My son and I ate lunch today at Fan Tan Cafe in Chinatown here in Victoria, right next to the infamous Fan Tan Alley. For $7.95 I had Won Ton soup, sweet/sour pork and chicken fried rice. Son had (for the samee price) Won Ton (they really do make the best in Victoria), deep fried shrimp and sweet and sour pork. The leftovers we packed up and he ate for his 3 PM snack....he is 17 and tends to starve if not fed every few hours.

Lots of good food at a very good price (for Victoria anyhow)

YUM on the triple oh sauce!!! I always ask for a side of it to dip those amazing fries into!!!!!!

That said, I am an In N Out addict as well .... if there were one in driving distence.....welll no contest....INO wins :)

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a minimum order per person if you order off the a la carte menu? I was planning on going to Grouse Mountain anyway in the late afternoon, so it would be reasonable to stay for dinner. Entrees appear to be $39 - since admission to the mountain is $38, that would make for a very cheap dinner, even factoring in drinks and tip. Or is it required to spend a certain minimum amount??? I am a light eater and an entree would be plenty to fill me...especially since I already have my heart set on a Beaver Tail for dessert :)

Is there a minimum order per person if you order off the a la carte menu? I was planning on going to Grouse Mountain anyway in the late afternoon, so it would be reasonable to stay for dinner. Entrees appear to be $39 - since admission to the mountain is $38, that would make for a very cheap dinner, even factoring in drinks and tip. Or is it required to spend a certain minimum amount??? I am a light eater and an entree would be plenty to fill me...especially since I already have my heart set on a Beaver Tail for dessert :)

I would love to know the answer to this question too! IS there a minimum dollar or food amount when eating here?

Suzi

Hey there :)

My son and I ate lunch today at Fan Tan Cafe in Chinatown here in Victoria, right next to the infamous Fan Tan Alley. For $7.95 I had Won Ton soup, sweet/sour pork and chicken fried rice. Son had (for the samee price) Won Ton (they really do make the best in Victoria), deep fried shrimp and sweet and sour pork. The leftovers we packed up and he ate for his 3 PM snack....he is 17 and tends to starve if not fed every few hours.

I disagree, the best Won Ton in Victoria is the Wor Won Ton at Foo Hongs, a few doors up from the Fan Tan

Archived