packing

RIP27

I am sure it has been asked, I have cruised several times to warm weather, but this is my first to Alaska. What does everyone wear during the day? What is the attire at night. On my past cruises it was sun dresses for dinner, bathing suits and shorts during the day. Also how do you pack 1 bag (airline rules) for the entire trip? Appreciate the help in advance.

RIP

What airline only allows one bag? Are you from outside the US? All the carriers in the US allow you to check as many bags as you want, you just have to pay to do so (which is really stupid and only causes the cabin to be over-crowded with massive "carry-ons", but I digress). So, unless you are outside the US and on a carrier I am not aware of, its not the the rules prevent you from having more than one bag, you just don't want to pay for it, correct?

sorry I should have been more specific, short of paying the $50 fee (that is what I paid out of Cancun) what are people doing and more importantly how does one dress on an Alaskian cruise

I'm heading to Alaska May 16 for a 12 day cruisetour. I did a test-pack yesterday with a carryon and got everything in that I will need.

I had 4 slacks, 2 jackets, 8 tops, a formal dress, 2 pr of shoes, as well as undies, pjs and extras. I'll carry my 3-in-1 coat and wear a jacket on the plane. It can be done if you're willing to mix and match as well as do a little laundry.

I'm like you, the thought of paying to check a bag really bugs me.

jettalee

• Administrators
I am sure it has been asked, I have cruised several times to warm weather, but this is my first to Alaska. What does everyone wear during the day? What is the attire at night. On my past cruises it was sun dresses for dinner, bathing suits and shorts during the day. Also how do you pack 1 bag (airline rules) for the entire trip? Appreciate the help in advance.

RIP

What cruiseline? The attire at night can vary from line to line (at least in the main dining room) from resort casual to formalwear.

Someone here has posted a wonderful packing list and I hope they'll share it again.

I'll be traveling relatively light, one black dress to wear both formal nights, mix and match (black) slacks/tops for the other nights, one pair of black dress shoes that I'll probably wear every evening unless I break down and add another pair! My son has a suit and lots of "smart casual" wear, unfortunately he gets everthing dirty, so I can't skimp on clothes for him or I'll be paying the price with laundry charges. For daytime wear, we'll be hiking and boating so we'll layer tops, fleece jackets, and good quality rain jackets. We have hiking shoes that I'll wear on the plane and during the days. I'm planning for rain and temps in the 60's but I certainly wouldn't complain about warmer dryer weather if we are fortunate!

I'm traveling with my two children, we'll have 2 checked bags and one carry on bag for essentials. We can't physically carry any more than that, anyway!

I'm heading to Alaska May 16 for a 12 day cruisetour. I did a test-pack yesterday with a carryon and got everything in that I will need.

I had 4 slacks, 2 jackets, 8 tops, a formal dress, 2 pr of shoes, as well as undies, pjs and extras. I'll carry my 3-in-1 coat and wear a jacket on the plane. It can be done if you're willing to mix and match as well as do a little laundry.

jettalee

How big is your carry on? I can't imagine how all that would fit in 1 carry on.

I'll be on our first Alaska trip also, but in early June. I've seen several posts with really good tips. A couple of things I've seen recurring is packing a good pair of hiking water resistant shoes, and packing light layers for daytime in lieu of coats and jackets (except for a light rain jacket).

Allentownboy, please read the message again, she has Two suitcases and one carry on.

I somtimes wonder why the air lines let people bring such large carry on's, I just hope the overheads never open during a trip.

thanks for all your help, so I gather jeans during the day is fine, what do women wear at night on the RCCL line and how formal is formal, I know on the caribean cruises some do get very dressed up, don't want to get flamed on a post cruise review!

jettalee

Thanks So Much for the list. It is very helpful. Two other questions, though, if you don't mind: What "weight" tops? Long sleeve knit, or will that be too warm indoors? We're cruising May 2, so it may be a mite cooler. What is a "3-in-1" coat?

tessam

i'm heading to alaska may 16 for a 12 day cruisetour. I did a test-pack yesterday with a carryon and got everything in that i will need.

Jettalee

you are my hero!

jettalee

Who makes the carry on? I need a new one. The bag you have sounds great!

If I can just get half of what you put in it I would be happy.

My tops are cotton knit, long or 3/4 sleeve, I figure I can push them up if I get warm.

The coat is Columbia brand. It has a fleece jacket that zips into a waterproof jacket with a rollaway hood. You can wear each jacket separately or put them together as one. You can accomplish the same thing with any 2 jackets that fit inside each other actually. I just happened to have this one, and we decided to buy one for DH.

Another thing that helped it all fit is that everything for evening (except formal nights) is Traveller knits from Chicos. They fold into nothing and get very few wrinkles. I've been collecting them for a few years and they mix and match easily. I can even put them with my other pants for daytime if I need.

I didn't post to be anyone's hero but just to remind us we don't need a lot of 'extras' on a cruise. Of course I'm not picky about shampoo, soap, blow dryers, etc. I can use anything for a couple weeks. I'm not a fashionista, I'm just going for the experience. And hey, when will I ever see these people again (except our friends we're cruising with)?

jettalee

Did you purchase your jacket this year? We have just booked an Alaskan cruise leaving next week and your jacket sounds perfect. I already have my Chico's travellers from many other cruises, but need to find a jacket.

Thanks for the help.

Reba

I've had my coat for several years but ordered one for DH from gandermountain.com. It arrived quickly so you might have a chance if getting one in time.

Have fun Reba! We sail May 16 so the countdown has certainly begun!

jettalee

Check out sierra trading post dot com. They have all kinds of jackets, usually 30-70% if your not picky about colors and such and they ship very quickly. Usually a coupon around as well if google on the internet. They carry columbia and since I needed two jackets for the boys - got them there for $20 each - columbia 3/in 1.

Therese

Also how do you pack 1 bag (airline rules) for the entire trip? Appreciate the help in advance.

RIP

Let me give you my wife's phone number....LOL:o

She's gone to China and Singapore on business for 1-2 weeks at a time with nothing more than a large carryon.

I don't pack alot, one set of clothes for the each day, but she is the only woman I know that packs less than the average man.

Did you purchase your jacket this year? We have just booked an Alaskan cruise leaving next week and your jacket sounds perfect. I already have my Chico's travellers from many other cruises, but need to find a jacket.

Thanks for the help.

Reba

Well I figured my travellers would not be warm enough. I presume you plan to wear them inside. I guess they would be nice for evening dinners. I may rethink that. I got my jacket from Land's End. It's a 3-in-1 water resistant. Got it when the Sears in our area went out of business. GREAT jacket.

Stellaglide, your wife might be my hero, I can't even do a carryon for a weekend trip to NJ.

Yea she's a keeper!

I just remembered we went from coastal SC to the northern coast of CA (Redwood National Park area) for 4 days in March and we had both of our clothes and 2 cameras in one carryon bag and 2 backpacks.

We don't travel too much but have had our share of lost luggage so as much as possible we try not a check a bag.

Archived