packing

RIP27

Jettaleea,

Who makes the carryone that you are using and where did you get it ??? I have to pack for 4 of us going on a 7 day cruise followed by a 7 day RV trip. I don't mind washing at all. If possible I would love to just take a carryon for each of us. I hate the thought of paying to check in our bags !!!

I was thinking I could put tights under the Traveller knits if I'm cool, but I was mostly planning on them for the dining room. They pack so well and always look pulled together.

jettalee

yes, you are right. I love the black as they look sleek as evening wear when paired right. You are sure to be the belle of the ball.:)

Sillysailor,

You are certainly right you can buy sweatshirts ANYWHERE--expensive or cheap!! I am going july 22, and will take several pairs of shorts as well. The last time we did Alaska in June 2004, they were having a heat wave and everyone did lots of laundry as most people had only taken one pair of shorts. I know its been said before but LAYERING is the way to go in Alaska, you can always add a sweatshirt or sweater. I will take short sleeve tops as well as a few long sleeve t's. I also wore sandals most of the time, but I'll take other shoes as well as we may find a "totally different" Alaska than we did before. You never can tell. Whatever you take have a wonderful time!!

I have a Northface with a fleece jip in jacket. I got it for half off at a ski shop after the season. I have had it for 8 years and it is still great. I am taking it , 1 pair of jeans, 3 other pants, two broomstick skirts, one formal black skirt, some shawls and scarves and two pair of shoes, and 8 tops. I am wearing hiking boots. We are spending an extra week so will be gone three weeks total. I only take three colors, this year lime green, coral and black. All my bottoms are solid. My only prints or patterns are tops. In this way almost everything goes with each other. PH

Something to think about when packing to help conserve room is to roll your clothes. It sounds silly but you can get so much more in a bag/suitcase doing this. What I plan on taking doesn't wrinkle much or will dewrinkle easily too.

I haven't done a practice run but I'm very confident that I can get the following in a 45" (total dimensions) or less duffle bag:

1 pair jeans

1 pair black microfiber pants

1 pair silk long johns

3 light sweaters (yellow, bright pink, turquoise)

5 knit shirts (white, peach/rust, pale pink, bright pink, black)

1 pair dress pants

1 pink/black skirt

1 dressy black skirt

1 formal top/skirt ensemble

1 pair walking/hiking shoes

2 pairs dress shoes (black & silver)

1 microfleece jacket + gloves & earband

pj's, undies, socks

3-1-1 of toiletries including makeup (i go pretty light on makeup anyway)

1 brush

hair dryer (may leave at home but I'm kinda picky)

powdered laundry detergent only if it can easily fit

I plan on wearing capris, athletic/walking shoes, LS knit top (I'm cold natured) + carry my waterproof jacket. I have no problem washing clothes while on our trip (as I do 1-2 loads a day anyway).

I'm going to do a practice run but it probably won't be for another month or so. I'll take pics when I do. My back up is that I know DH won't be able to pack in 1 carry-on bag . . . he'll want to do a garment bag for his suit and dress shirts + shoes. I may slip the formal and dress shoes in there--the dress I'm leaning toward taking is beaded.

BTW--This is for a 12 day cruisetour. If I can slip another pair of pants or capris in, I will.

Check out sierra trading post dot com. They have all kinds of jackets, usually 30-70% if your not picky about colors and such and they ship very quickly. Usually a coupon around as well if google on the internet. They carry columbia and since I needed two jackets for the boys - got them there for $20 each - columbia 3/in 1.

Therese

Thanks! I checked them out and got a great deal on some rain gear and long johns. I'm hoping if I pack enough foul weather gear we'll have good weather in late May.

Yup, we're sailing May 16 on Sapphire Princess. Have you signed into the Roll Call? We're having a meet and greet May 17 at 11:30am at the Sternwheeler Lounge.

Lee Ann

Wow! How exciting!!! Where do I sign in to the roll call? Sorry, but this is our first cruise anywhere, so this is all new to me. I'm just excited that I found this board beforehand and have gotten so much useful information from it.

Susan:)

fieldmom - thanks for the comment on the Land's End coat. They are on sale right now.

Don't forget to pack your bathing suit!

I get so cold so very easily. I'm from the South! I considered my swimsuit but then B-lined and thought against it. Is there an indoor pool?

Somewhere? Do you think it’ll be warm enough on deck for swimwear? I guess I’ll bring it along anyway. If I’m hopeful enough then maybe we’ll see sunny skies and warm temps. Thanks

Something to think about when packing to help conserve room is to roll your clothes. It sounds silly but you can get so much more in a bag/suitcase doing this. What I plan on taking doesn't wrinkle much or will dewrinkle easily too.

I haven't done a practice run but I'm very confident that I can get the following in a 45" (total dimensions) or less duffle bag:

1 pair jeans

1 pair black microfiber pants

1 pair silk long johns

3 light sweaters (yellow, bright pink, turquoise)

5 knit shirts (white, peach/rust, pale pink, bright pink, black)

1 pair dress pants

1 pink/black skirt

1 dressy black skirt

1 formal top/skirt ensemble

1 pair walking/hiking shoes

2 pairs dress shoes (black & silver)

1 microfleece jacket + gloves & earband

pj's, undies, socks

3-1-1 of toiletries including makeup (i go pretty light on makeup anyway)

1 brush

hair dryer (may leave at home but I'm kinda picky)

powdered laundry detergent only if it can easily fit

I plan on wearing capris, athletic/walking shoes, LS knit top (I'm cold natured) + carry my waterproof jacket. I have no problem washing clothes while on our trip (as I do 1-2 loads a day anyway).

I'm going to do a practice run but it probably won't be for another month or so. I'll take pics when I do. My back up is that I know DH won't be able to pack in 1 carry-on bag . . . he'll want to do a garment bag for his suit and dress shirts + shoes. I may slip the formal and dress shoes in there--the dress I'm leaning toward taking is beaded.

BTW--This is for a 12 day cruisetour. If I can slip another pair of pants or capris in, I will.

will you come pack for me? Ok question, formal nights, I know its "summer", but instead of the light weight LBD, would I look a fool if I carried a winter weight long sleve formal?

I also buy a lot from sierratradingpost (dot) com, and have been really happy w/ my purchases. Got board shorts and water shoes for our last Mex Riv cruise ... and more recently clothing/jackets/boots for Alaska.

Bought my DH and I waterproof hiking boots which we love, also new jackets. We live in the warmer, fairly dry part of California, and although we have snowsport clothing, needed addtl things for Alaska (esp since waterproof sounds key). Winter clothing is has been drastically marked down recently.

Daughter still needs some waterproof shoes for Alaska the end of May, but I know sierra is quick to ship, so she'll have time to order, break in, and be ready for our cruise. Oh, and sierra's return policy is really good. On a few occasions, we weren't sure of sizes, so ordered 2 different sizes and kept the one that fit, returned the other w/ a prepaid shipping label.

I'm also hoping we can pack everything into one suitcase & a small carry on each ... the most helpful tip I've read so far is wear the heaviest/bulkiest items (hiking boots & jacket) in order to have more space left in suitcase ... also sounds like most women bring one black dress that can be accessorized w/ small items for a slightly different look each formal night.

Here is a link to a packing list which appeared on another thread a few weeks ago. Hope it helps.

http://www.alaskacruises.com/what_to_pack.asp

BTW, the link vegs1 posted is helpful

... and, does anyone happen to know if RCI's Serenade has self-laundry on-board? Don't really want to do laundry on vacation, but it might be nice in case we pack light and need it.

You can look under the ship amenities to be sure about the laundry facilities, but I sailed on her a year ago and don't think there is a laundry on Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas. I believe the only lines I have been on that have laundry are Holland America and Princess.

You can look under the ship amenities to be sure about the laundry facilities, but I sailed on her a year ago and don't think there is a laundry on Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas. I believe the only lines I have been on that have laundry are Holland America and Princess.

Thanks! I had looked on RCI's site and didn't see anything, so emailed them just to be sure. I know RCI has a laundry special part way through the cruise, so figure we can plan to pay to have a few things laundered to eliminate having to pack as much.

will you come pack for me? Ok question, formal nights, I know its "summer", but instead of the light weight LBD, would I look a fool if I carried a winter weight long sleve formal?

My beaded formal is actually a winter "mother of the bride" style dress that is short sleeved BUT it's still fairly heavy fabric. I tend to be cold natured so I'm not too worried about the dress's weight. I've seen lots of pics around on CC of long sleeved formals. Can't comment too much on the weight but they didn't look too light to me. Would the dress be heavier than a men's suit or tux?

thanks for all your help, so I gather jeans during the day is fine, what do women wear at night on the RCCL line and how formal is formal, I know on the caribean cruises some do get very dressed up, don't want to get flamed on a post cruise review!

Let them flame! If they don't like it, they can rent a private yacht or buy their own island. I have yet to figure out why what someone else at another table is wearing (assuming they are indeed clothed - even I have stndards:)) affects some people to the point of venomous posts days, weeks or months later. If someone wants to dress to the hilt, great for them. If someone wants to dresss casually and feels more comfortable that way while enjoying a nice dining experience, they should be able to do so AND coexist in the same place. Classism is silly, petty and sad...which is not what I want to deal with on my vacation:D.

L.J.

We can pack for a week without checked luggage. We decided to do formal nights, so needed a single checked suitcase for 2 people plus carry-ons (a rollaboard and small backpack apiece). HAL Zaandam had a laundromat (not all HAL ships do) so we did laundry halfway through our 15 day trip. That cut the amount of clothes almost by half. Also packed old socks and underwear. During the second half of the trip we simply threw it away after one last wearing. (On a shorter trip with no laundry required, start discarding on Day 1).

We're going to Oz this summer, "managed apartments" with washer/dryer in each unit are common. We chose one halfway through the trip to allow packing light. (No formal wear so the goal is no checked luggage on the 18d trip).

Archived