Solving NO TRAYS Problem

JimVrhovac

Ruth and I have been avid cruisers on HAL until we cruised the Star Princess in January and loved the ship. Holland America is doing away with the treys in the Lido Dining room (Cafateria) to save money, time, and labor expenses. Here is the story of how one pair of cruisers is going to solve this problem.

Ruth and I have a very good relationship when on the ships. She says jump and I say YES DEAR How High.

Since the news of the removal of the trays I asked Ruth (on one of her frequent trips to the mall or two) too pick up a cafateria type trey to take on the ship.

She came back with:

1 - Wicker trey @ 39.95

1 - Plastic Trey @ 29.95

1 - Metal Aluminum Trey @ 59.95

1 - Ceramic Trey @ (She took the price tag off of this one and would not tell me how much it cost).

I am going to pack the wicker and the plastic trey as I make frequent trips to the Lido at Ruth's request (demand) to get assorted items such as bread pudding, ice cream, coffee, tea, salads, specific sandwiches, etc.

We stay in a suite and the Neptune is 10 feet away but she insists (demands) that I get these items from the Lido Cafateria.

I INTEND TO HAVE A LITTLE FUN ON THE VEENDAM CRUISE MAY 1st WITH THE NEW TREYS....

When I am in the Lido and someone asks me where I got the trey from? I will answer "THE CABIN STEWART GAVE IT TO US. DIDN'T YOU GET ONE IN YOUR ROOM? WHY NOT? YOU NEED TO ASK YOUR CABIN STEWART FOR ONE AND TELL HIM THAT THEY ARE GIVING THEM TO ALL THE SUITE PASSANGERS AND YOU WANT ONE TOO."

This ought to give this crew enough aggrevation that them may go below decks and dig up the treys tht they have stocked there.......

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO TAKE IS SERIOUS AS YOU ARE NOT GOING TO COME OUT OF IT ALIVE ANYWAY- Ananymous Philosopher

Save yourself the hassle. Order something from room service and keep the tray. Simple answer! ;)

I like that Toto, never thought of it!:D I'll steal one on the Star next week and see how long we can keep it without the Steward taking it back:p

I like that Toto, never thought of it!:D I'll steal one on the Star next week and see how long we can keep it without the Steward taking it back:p

If it happens to disappear (BTW-Hide it somewhere if you don't want that to happen), they are easily replaced, just order something else from room service. lol

Ruth and I have been avid cruisers on HAL until we cruised the Star Princess in January and loved the ship. Holland America is doing away with the treys in the Lido Dining room (Cafateria) to save money, time, and labor expenses. Here is the story of how one pair of cruisers is going to solve this problem.

Ruth and I have a very good relationship when on the ships. She says jump and I say YES DEAR How High.

Since the news of the removal of the trays I asked Ruth (on one of her frequent trips to the mall or two) too pick up a cafateria type trey to take on the ship.

She came back with:

1 - Wicker trey @ 39.95

1 - Plastic Trey @ 29.95

1 - Ceramic Trey @ (She took the price tag off of this one and would not tell me how much it cost).

I am going to pack the wicker and the plastic trey as I make frequent trips to the Lido at Ruth's request (demand) to get assorted items such as bread pudding, ice cream, coffee, tea, salads, specific sandwiches, etc.

We stay in a suite and the Neptune is 10 feet away but she insists (demands) that I get these items from the Lido Cafateria.

I INTEND TO HAVE A LITTLE FUN ON THE VEENDAM CRUISE MAY 1st WITH THE NEW TREYS....

When I am in the Lido and someone asks me where I got the trey from? I will answer "THE CABIN STEWART GAVE IT TO US. DIDN'T YOU GET ONE IN YOUR ROOM? WHY NOT? YOU NEED TO ASK YOUR CABIN STEWART FOR ONE AND TELL HIM THAT THEY ARE GIVING THEM TO ALL THE SUITE PASSANGERS AND YOU WANT ONE TOO."

This ought to give this crew enough aggrevation that them may go below decks and dig up the treys tht they have stocked there.......

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO TAKE IS SERIOUS AS YOU ARE NOT GOING TO COME OUT OF IT ALIVE ANYWAY- Ananymous Philosopher

Me, I went with two plastic trays at $9 each, and they worked very well, and no one (staff or pax) said word one when we carried them to the Horizon Court every morning to grab our breakfast goodies and carry them back to the stateroom.

You don't really think they "sterilize" each tray after each use do you. They probably do no more than wipe each one off, if that much.
\

Actually, they do have to put them into commercial dishwashers (the CDC would not pass them on their sanitation inspections if they did not), and those DO make them antiseptically clean (not aseptically clean, which is surgical cleanliness/true sterility).

But for my own trays, simple Clorox wipes are sufficient, because no one uses them but ourselves, and the bleach kills 99% of the bacteria and viruses (about the same as a dishwasher).

That's surprising. It sounds like there held to tighter regulations than land based operations.

Owned several restaurants over the years, and trays were always required to be put through the dishwasher. In the final rinse, there is a santizing solution that solves the problem of keeping them 99% germ free. ;)

Personally, if I had a tray and was the only one using it, I wouldn't be all that concerned about sanitizing it after each use though.

Owned several restaurants over the years, and trays were always required to be put through the dishwasher. In the final rinse, there is a santizing solution that solves the problem of keeping them 99% germ free. ;)

Personally, if I had a tray and was the only one using it, I wouldn't be all that concerned about sanitizing it after each use though.

Just wanted to confirm that this is true. Any location using trays should be putting them through the same machine that cleans plates and spoon.

Trays have been removed on boats and college campuses because they:

1)Use a large amount of soap/water to clean

2) promote taking of excess food = waste

We think that you are the only one that say our tongue in cheek humor about the whole situation. She did actually spend that much money for the treys though.

People have lost the ability to laugh anymore

Ruth & Jim

I just popped in here and read your post and laughed my head off... I laughed even harder when I looked at your slipper collection and your renewal of vows. Loved your color coordinated footwear!:D

You and your wife must have a wonderfully crazy life together. More people should be like you.

I just popped in here and read your post and laughed my head off... I laughed even harder when I looked at your slipper collection and your renewal of vows. Loved your color coordinated footwear!:D

You and your wife must have a wonderfully crazy life together. More people should be like you.

Ooooh - I just looked at the album - do you think you'd notice if I got the cabin steward to bring the Eeyore slippers from your cabin to mine? :D

Good tips about asking for/using the room service tray - I've sometimes brought back cookies or drinks for hubby, and it's really interesting juggling two drinks and a plate!

Cheryl, the funny thing about using a tray is that once you put that huge platter on it, there isn't much room for anything else. lol

Ok,slightly off topic, please forgive me............ but the size of the oblong plates are massive! I have chargers I use to set a formal Christmas dinner setting that pale in comparison to the size of the plates on Princess. I'd guess that that size yeilds more waste than a tray, but what do I know :confused:

Funny story..... I had my camera sitting on my oblong plate because I had to carry the plate with two hands. I also had room to fit my entire lunch on the other side of the plate. Picture this, camera on one side, completely free from touching the carrots. Some guy walking behind me in the Horizon Court says "Hey, which buffet line has the sony camera". Without missing a beat, I sent him to the Trident Grill. We both had a good sense of humor :).

Cheryl :)

Ok,slightly off topic, please forgive me............ but the size of the oblong plates are massive! I have chargers I use to set a formal Christmas dinner setting that pale in comparison to the size of the plates on Princess. I'd guess that that size yeilds more waste than a tray, but what do I know :confused:

Funny story..... I had my camera sitting on my oblong plate because I had to carry the plate with two hands. I also had room to fit my entire lunch on the other side of the plate. Picture this, camera on one side, completely free from touching the carrots. Some guy walking behind me in the Horizon Court says "Hey, which buffet line has the sony camera". Without missing a beat, I sent him to the Trident Grill. We both had a good sense of humor :).

Cheryl :)

LOL, poor guy, probably still looking for the section of the buffet serving the Sony's this evening.

I know what you mean though. I can fit any food I want, plus my drink (and usually the DH's drink) on that platter and have room to spare. BUT I have seen some fill those platters 2 or three times and still go back for more. Always want to mention to them it isn't their last meal, there will be others if they get hungry. lol

LOL, poor guy, probably still looking for the section of the buffet serving the Sony's this evening.

lol

LOL...... naw..... he knew I was kidding around. I like scavenger hunts, but I typically only enroll those that ask :).

One of the greatest things about cruising is meeting so many people with good sense of humor. They seem to come out more on vacation. I love to laugh and it's funny and true.......... 'when you smile the whole world smiles with you'. Who wrote that song anyway? I'm sure it was some old-timer... Kid Rock? Beyoncee? ;-)

Cheryl

She came back with:

1 - Wicker trey @ 39.95

1 - Plastic Trey @ 29.95

Jim, I like your attitude;); your wife is very lucky!

So Jim... this was your first cruise on Princess? If it is, then someone else is walking around Princess ships in slippers too... I remember seeing someone wearing interesting slippers a few years ago. I wish I had taken a picture...:p

Archived