Skipping Dining room...

Amerikaner83

On our trip to Mexico in 5 days, there is one full day (9am-10pm) in Ensenada. We're wanting to skip this meal in the dingin room and eat on shore, but we've got teh 6[m early dining time confirmed for our cruise.

Can we just skip it for that night, or do we have to tell someone so as to not affect our tablemates?

Thanks!

Amerikaner83 - nervous soon-to-be husband :-)

On our trip to Mexico in 5 days, there is one full day (9am-10pm) in Ensenada. We're wanting to skip this meal in the dingin room and eat on shore, but we've got teh 6[m early dining time confirmed for our cruise.

Can we just skip it for that night, or do we have to tell someone so as to not affect our tablemates?

Thanks!

It would be polite if the night before you tell your tablemates and dining servers that you won't be showing up. this way they will know not to wait for you.

Seeing you have such a late departure time, theere may be quite a few pax with the same idea. But its still nice to let them know.

It would be polite if the night before you tell your tablemates and dining servers that you won't be showing up. this way they will know not to wait for you.

Seeing you have such a late departure time, theere may be quite a few pax with the same idea. But its still nice to let them know.

Agreed.

If we had tablemates, we would wait for them - unless we knew in advance that they weren't coming.

Let them and your waiter know.

Thanks!

If you want to skip any meal and eat elsewhere then just do it. You don't need anyone's permission. If it affects your tablemates or not what should it matter? Just go, your table mates could take care of themselves.

If you want to skip any meal and eat elsewhere then just do it. You don't need anyone's permission. If it affects your tablemates or not what should it matter? Just go, your table mates could take care of themselves.

Nobody said anything about asking permission.

Typically the servers will wait for the entire table to be seated before beginning service. To take ten seconds the night before to advise everyone that you will not be attending is a simple courtesy.

Are you a chair hog too?

Do you not socialize with your tablemates? Jeeze that's just common courtesy. Or maybe you cruise with a group large enough (family or friends) to get your own table, so you've never had to wait for no shows. Either way...

It's been a long time since I've been at a table with people I didn't come on the cruise with, but I do know that we try to tell our server the night before that we won't be coming to dinner the next night. Of course some things happen and we can't always do that, but as a common courtesy we try to let the server know in advance.

Ok... We've decided if we don't like our tablemates we won't tell the waiver about our slipping the next day... Make then suffer lol but if we do like them we will tell them.

Just kidding! We're planning on giving a head's up... And if we all get along an invite too!

Ok... We've decided if we don't like our tablemates we won't tell the waiver about our slipping the next day... Make then suffer lol but if we do like them we will tell them.

Just kidding! We're planning on giving a head's up... And if we all get along an invite too!

Sorry about the spelling and wrong words... I'm posting from my phone so my predictive text sometimes screws words up and i don't catch it.

I dont always eat in the main dining room, which is why I like anytime dining now :)

In the past, I would tell the waiter and tablemates, on the very first night, that if I wasnt there on time, I wouldnt be there at all so dont wait for me.

One night we had a tiring day in port and I dropped by the Maitre D' station to tell him we were skipping dinner that night.

We had a table to ourselves...but just thought it a courtesy to let the wait staff know.

The MD actually asked us if everything was ok....I told things were fine...just a tiring day...

Even though I *had* to sign up for dining, we NEVER went. I believe we ate ONE breakfast in the DR -- all the rest of the week we ate in the cafe's or pizza or at the ports. I never told anyone we weren't going to show up. I sure hope they figured it out by the 2nd night!!

Agreed.

If we had tablemates, we would wait for them - unless we knew in advance that they weren't coming.

Let them and your waiter know.

Excellent responses and exactly what I would do if I knew in advance I wasn't going to be in the dining room. :)

Even though I *had* to sign up for dining, we NEVER went. I believe we ate ONE breakfast in the DR -- all the rest of the week we ate in the cafe's or pizza or at the ports. I never told anyone we weren't going to show up. I sure hope they figured it out by the 2nd night!!

Isn't breakfast "open seating"? If so, no problem not showing up at breakfast.

They'll probably forgive you.;) It is nice to tell the Maitre'D though, if you won't be using the table, because usually there are people who want to switch dining times...especially if you have early seating. If you have late seating, it's probably not a big deal.

On our last cruise we had a table for six, but usually my DH and I were the only ones dining. Since it was like that the whole cruise, our waiter didn't tend to wait to see if the others would join. It was weird though, because it was a booth, so we were kind of squeezed in with four people we didn't know. It was a little ackward...we kind of liked it when they didn't show...but usually I like to talk to my tablemates.

Thanks!

Always take a few seconds and tell your wait staff....they will appreciate the information and courtesy.

Commom courtesy for some people is just an urban myth. No please and thank you's, no yes ma'm/sir, no ma'm/sir and hats never leave their heads. Every man for him-self and Me, Me, Me.:mad:

Good grief:rolleyes:

Thank god for anytime dining:D

If you start off in the dining room, I would certainly mention if you know you aren't going to be there the next night. After the 1st or 2nd day, our sodas were already waiting for us on the table when we arrived for dinner. I know it's not the end of the world if a few sodas are wasted, but it is needless.

It is not required to let anyone know you will not be in the dining room. What I believe is being stated is that it would be nice if the waiters knew so they didn't make your tablemates wait for you and can go ahead and begin serving. It's a courtesy thing!!!!!!!!

Commom courtesy for some people is just an urban myth. No please and thank you's, no yes ma'm/sir, no ma'm/sir and hats never leave their heads. Every man for him-self and Me, Me, Me.:mad:

Whoa....I always take my hat off in restaurants and open the car door for the gals. I don't think that what you said was very courteous....kind of depressing actually!!

Also, and finally, not telling the waiter is just rude!! They try to prepare your table for you just how you like it....why make them do unnecessary extra work??

On my cruise on the Elation, I was solo and was at the largest table. It was late seating and I thought a real mess. I got there when the doors openned and so did another gentleman. We always sat next to each other, I think as common courtesy or feeling stupid sitting on opposite sides of a huge table. Everyone else just came and went as they pleased. The waiter just took our orders as we came in and never waited. We were on dessert when some were on starters

I guess that was maybe why I didn't think dinner in the dining room was anything special. The food was great but the ambiance was lacking.

I do not like being at a large table for dinner. Not to sound too anti-social, but I do not care to eat with a bunch of strangers, nor do I want to have to wait around for people or have them wait for me. That is why I ask for a table for two or for however many of us are cruising together. I don't care to go in the dining room every night. I'm on vacation and have lots of options for dining and do not want to be stuck to a timetable or other people's schedules.

Archived