Tipping

Frassy

Can anyone advise how the tipping works? Do you tip daily and leave it in the room or do you tip at the end of the cruise or what? (first timer here--heading out Saturday on Inspiration) Not sure quite what to expect.

Procedures vary from cruiseline to cruiseline, but on all the cruises I've been on, tipping occurred either automatically or at the end of the cruise.

Your signature indicates a Carnival cruise. On my Carnival cruise, the recommended tip amount was billed to my onboard account each day. I didn't have to worry about a thing. The service I received (cabin/waitstaff) was not of a caliber that I felt I had to tip more than that.

Procedures vary from cruiseline to cruiseline, but on all the cruises I've been on, tipping occurred either automatically or at the end of the cruise.

Your signature indicates a Carnival cruise. On my Carnival cruise, the recommended tip amount was billed to my onboard account each day. I didn't have to worry about a thing. The service I received (cabin/waitstaff) was not of a caliber that I felt I had to tip more than that.

So they add it to your sign and sail card then? I have read about people leaving candy and money on the bed....what is all that for?

If you are on Carnival the tips are probably added automatically. That said, if you order room service you will want to tip that person...they are not in the tip pool...we tip about $4. If your service is great, you might want to tip a little extra in cash at the end of the cruise to your cabin steward and your waiters...we always do this and it makes their day! (Of course, why wouldn't it...if you handed me money I'd be really happy!) But like the pp said, if your service wasn't good, no need to tip above and beyond.

If you are on Carnival the tips are probably added automatically. That said, if you order room service you will want to tip that person...they are not in the tip pool...we tip about $4. If your service is great, you might want to tip a little extra in cash at the end of the cruise to your cabin steward and your waiters...we always do this and it makes their day! (Of course, why wouldn't it...if you handed me money I'd be really happy!) But like the pp said, if your service wasn't good, no need to tip above and beyond.

Thanks. This information is very helpful and appreciated.

So they add it to your sign and sail card then? I have read about people leaving candy and money on the bed....what is all that for?

Yes, it is on your S&S account. You will see it the last night when you get your S&S bill (which is charged to your CC unless you put up a cash account.)

Some people leave a daily tip, but I don't think that is the norm. Also, there are a lot of threads here about giving your cabin steward another type of gift, but really, they just want cash. Candy, t-shirts, etc are a nice gesture but they have no where to store them in their rooms.

Beats me! :D

There are folks who like to give something more personal than the auto-tipping. Some go so far as to bring trinkets from their hometowns, t-shirts, phone cards, etc.

Whether or not these efforts are truly appreciated we may never know; most service staff are quite polite, so they would thank you even if they did not want whatever it was.

The crew lives in very tight quarters, though, so I would think that cash - and a sincere thank you - would be appreciated most of all. Oh, and a mention on any survey card you're given. Just like at our jobs at home, it's good when someone lets the boss know we're doing a good job.

A lttle extra cash - above the auto-tip - is the best way to recognize superior service. Equally important is to mention them by name on the comment card- showing that you remember their names means a lot more than simply saying "my cabin steward" or "my waiter".

Everyone says this on the ships, so I think its importance cannot be overstated. Take the time to get the name and the position of people you wish to compliment, and include them in the end of cruise comment card you will fill out.

Archived