Skagway to Yukon Territory by rental car

MichelleVA

Have anyone try touring from Skagway to Yukon Territory (and back to Skageway) by rental car?

We are planning on doing exactly that next month, with a stop for horseback riding at Emerald Lake. I prefer the flexibility of touring on our own when we can, and this seems like a great opportunity for that! We are also planning on downloading Murray's Guide right before we leave. Enjoy your trip!

L.J.

I was thinking about doing this when we go there in early Sept.

Much chance of winter type weather being a problem then?

No, not in early September - later in the month the pass can sometimes get some snow, though.

You will not regret your choice to go with the rental car versus taking the train. Those who rode the train (and later got a peek at my pictures) were wondering how I got such spectacular pictures outside of Skagway and in Yukon.

Emerald Lake is the most beautiful thing that I saw on that journey...and I believe you can't get there by train.

ToddinVA,

I think we are on your cruise in Sept. When we went to rent a car with Avis yesterday, they only had full size left ($99). It seems that they don't have a lot and they go fast!

We will be there on Sept. 8. I just checked and all 4 of their categories are still available. Is that the day you'll be there? I'm not sure yet if we'll be doing it, but I don't guess it hurts to reserve it anyway though.

Just spoke with Carey @ Sourdough rentals. He was very helpful. We booked a minivan for our day in Skagway, June 12 for $114. He has great suggestions for the route and said we should leave as early as possible to get ahead of the tour busses. We are on Silver Shadow and arrive in port at 8 a.m. He said they open at 8 and suggest we try to disembark then.

He said they open at 8 and suggest we try to disembark then.

Holy cow. Avis says they only open at 9. That may be a good reason to go with Sourdough right there. Although, if you dock at 8, you probably will not get there until 9 anyway.

This topic has been covered again and again and again on this board. Do a search and you will get some great information.

It is extremely foolish that this board will block the URL for Murray's Guide, since it is a very valuable resource for anyone doing this drive. It is easy to Google "Murray's Guide" and get it. (Although that will also get you Murray's Guide to Meats and Cheeses ... Yukon, are you a food expert too?? ;) )

Check out our review and pics of a drive to Caribou Crossing at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

We did this a few years ago and my Sister took the train. We were able to see more and enjoy more than she was able to plus my photos were a whole lot better. We plan to rent a car again this year when we go back.

Holy cow. Avis says they only open at 9. That may be a good reason to go with Sourdough right there. Although, if you dock at 8, you probably will not get there until 9 anyway.

We're on the Spirit, so we dock on a Sunday at 7AM. I have a car booked through Avis, which opens at 9. I'm wondering if there is enough time to drive to Emerald Lake and also do a 1.5 hour horseback tour at Emerald Lake Ranch. Our ship leaves at 4:30PM so we would have to be back in Skagway by 3 at the latest to return the car and get back on board by 3:30. I'm not too bothered about horses, but my wife would love it. She won't enjoy it if we are worried about time though.

Anyone think Avis might open early that day since we are the only large ship in port and we arrive so early?:)

Thanks

We rented with Avis and had no problem. Be sure to take your passport with you to cross into/from Canada.

We got the BEST photo of a bear ever on this drive. And because we were not on a bus or train, we were able to stop the car and enjoy watching the bear beside the road for 20 or 30 minutes on our own time schedule. It is a wonderful trip.

I'm wondering if there is enough time to drive to Emerald Lake and also do a 1.5 hour horseback tour at Emerald Lake Ranch. Our ship leaves at 4:30PM so we would have to be back in Skagway by 3 at the latest to return the car and get back on board by 3:30.

I started to post that you do have time, but although it's doable, it's too tight for comfort unless you're okay with a 4:00 embarkation.

I started to post that you do have time, but although it's doable, it's too tight for comfort unless you're okay with a 4:00 embarkation.

Thanks for the honest opinion - I already downloaded your guide so I expect the drive will take us a little longer :)

Just spoke with Carey @ Sourdough rentals. He was very helpful. We booked a minivan for our day in Skagway, June 12 for $114. He has great suggestions for the route and said we should leave as early as possible to get ahead of the tour busses. We are on Silver Shadow and arrive in port at 8 a.m. He said they open at 8 and suggest we try to disembark then.

I was also interested in booking with him in June but he was trying to charge me $145 for a van that holds up to 8 people. How many passengers can the minivan hold? Does anyone know if they charge more for the 8 passenger van or am I just getting overcharged? =P Thanks.

I have enjoyed looking at your pictures many times and this time I realized they were from 2006 and was wondering how your Aunt Ruth is doing. So nice she was able to take that trip. She looked like she had a great time.

I have my 86 year old dad booked on August 27 so I hope he can go. He is complaining alot how he doesn't want to leave home but yet wants to go to Alaska and the Alaska State Fair to see those giant vegetables. So he is going to decide at final payment time.

We rented a car from Avis, reserved it on the internet, had no problems. Ordered Murray's guide by clicking on a link in one of the posts on CC. Wouldn't even think of taking this drive without this guide, it's better than any I've seen.

I have enjoyed looking at your pictures many times and this time I realized they were from 2006 and was wondering how your Aunt Ruth is doing. So nice she was able to take that trip. She looked like she had a great time.

I have my 86 year old dad booked on August 27 so I hope he can go. He is complaining alot how he doesn't want to leave home but yet wants to go to Alaska and the Alaska State Fair to see those giant vegetables. So he is going to decide at final payment time.

Thanks for the kind words. My Dear Aunt Ruth was able to come to California for our daughter's wedding the next year. Sadly after that she fell and broke her hip and is deteriorating. She is still hanging on, although in a nursing home, and celebrated her 95th birthday a few months ago.

We have many wonderful memories of her, and several cruises we made together.

How wonderful that you have all of these memories with your Aunt Ruth and that you were able to go on cruises with her and have all those great memories together with her and your family.

I hope she recovers. My mom fell and broke her hip and never pushed herself enough again to make herself walk and she was only 77. Encourage your aunt to try and get up and use her walker, etc. You know the saying to move or you lose it.

Sure do wish I had gotten into cruising earlier while my mom was alive and could have gone together cause she also enjoyed cruising. But, while she did a few cruises was when we were raising kids and couldn't afford much. One of those regrets of life.

We're on the Spirit, so we dock on a Sunday at 7AM. I have a car booked through Avis, which opens at 9... Anyone think Avis might open early that day since we are the only large ship in port and we arrive so early?:)

We have the same issue of wanting to get an early start on a Sunday (we're rushing to get back to take an afternoon train trip rather than horseback riding). I called the local Avis office and asked if there was any opportunity to get a car earlier on our Sunday in June. I got the area supervisor, who said it wouldn't be a problem for them to open at 8 am instead of 9; she made a note of my name and date, and said it would be passed on to the Skagway branch manager.

The Avis Skagway office doesn't reopen for the season until May 11. Until then, the regional office is in Sitka: (907) 966-2404. From May 11, the direct number to the Skagway office is: (907) 983-2247. I'm planning to call the Skagway office in two weeks after they're open for a few days, to confirm whether they will definitely be open for us at 8 a.m.

The other alternative available is renting from Sourdough, a local Skagway company. They open at 8 a.m. on Sundays.

Hope that helps.

-- Eric

Archived