100+ passenger ships in the Antarctic with landings

beth555

For those who travel on a 100+ passeneger ship that made landings in the Antarctic how were the landings arranged? I understand that they only allow 100 to land at one time. Did the others stay back on board ship? When you landed did you feel rushed because the other group had to have an opportunity to land as well? With the change in weather occurring so quickly did one shift miss out on a landings and how did the shifts work if there were multiple.

For those who travel on a 100+ passeneger ship that made landings in the Antarctic how were the landings arranged? I understand that they only allow 100 to land at one time. Did the others stay back on board ship? When you landed did you feel rushed because the other group had to have an opportunity to land as well? With the change in weather occurring so quickly did one shift miss out on a landings and how did the shifts work if there were multiple.

I have done this twice, on two different ships, with more than 100 pax and less than 200 pax. The Norwegians on the Nordkapp were very organised - you were assigned to a group of 10 for Polar Cirkel boat, 3 groups were called at a time, boots on in the mud room, orderly progression, break in proceedings when 100 on shore, first boat back, next hundred start preparing to land. There was no rush - landings were about an hour long, most of the landing sites are small and contained.

The crew on the Minerva had the pax split into 2 groups. First group called, any order into the zodiacs. Second group waits until first group returns, some overlap in those returning whilst next group start their landing. Ditto for the landing durations.

Yes, it is possible for one group to land, the weather to change and the other group to miss out. It is also possible for landings to be abandoned. Weather changes are just tough luck, no-one can afford to be stranded at a landing site until the weather clears, which can take days :)

Cheers

We went on Minerva which takes 199 pax max and never had a problem. We did two landings per day and they were at least for an hour and a half and than sometimes had a zodiac tour before going back to the ship. Minerva was great compared to some other reports that I have read as you could wear your boots back to your cabin (They are sanitized when you return) so no back-up in a mudroom etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

We went with Lindblad (now merged with National Geographic). As there were only about 100 passengers, we could do each landing. My friend went on the Marco Polo by Discovery Cruise Lines. Although the ship carries about 700 passengers, they limited the Antarctica sailings to 300. People were assigned into groups and took turns going on landings. My friend was very disappointed, as he only got off the ship three times on an 18 day cruise. With Lindblad, we were off at least once a day and sometimes twice. Sometimes, things are just worth the extra cost (IMHO).

On our trip to the Falklands, South Georgia, and Antarctica on the "Hanseatic", we were simply divided into two groups. We made 14 landings and another half dozen zodiac tours on our fabulous cruise. We were fortunate that there was no occasion when each group did not get a full time on shore for each landing.

Contrary to the opinion of one poster, we were very happy to have had a "boot room" where we left our sanitized boots and therefore did not take them back to our cabin. Even the most "sanitized" boots can have a residual odor of "eau de poop du penguin". They are most certainly best left in a separate boot room far from your cabin.

Even though we loved the Hanseatic, if we were to do the trip again now, we would likely go with Silversea's new expedition ship, Prince Albert II. It is certainly as luxurious as the Hanseatic (and far moreso than the Minerva or any of the Norwegian coastal vessels) but has all activities and announcements in English, as opposed to the Hanseatic, which operates in both English and German.

Good luck doing the research to find the right cruise.

Cheers, Fred

Archived