Guarantee cabin debate

jmk22574

The "debate" right now is between myself and my TA. I thought I had an excellent handle on HAL and how their "guarantee" cabins operate.

My husband and I booked a category SC guarantee on the Westerdam. The day we went into our TA's office they were running a wonderful rate on SC guarantees for the specific sailing date we wanted. In fact, the SC rate was actually a tad cheaper than a category SS and SY.

So, we booked the SC guarantee with the understanding (what I understood and assumed anyway) that this meant we would get an SC or could be upgraded to an SB, SA, or PS only. BUT, when I called my TA yesterday to see if we could come in and pick up our documents (they weren't in yet), as an aside, she mentioned that since the categories SS and SY were actually more money than the SC guarantee we had booked, we might be "upgraded" to one of those. This is where my debate with her came in. It was my understanding that if you booked a guarantee, you could only move up in "category" not up in "price" based on the stated prices the day you booked. If I'm wrong, then I've obviously been oblivious to a giant loophole here. She is a very nice lady and this is the first time we've dealt with her. I tried to call HAL directly just so they could resolve this debate, but of course since I booked through a TA, they will not acknowledge me in any way (which is a bit disheartening in itself). We don't have an assigned cabin yet so this may not even end up being an issue, but can someone please explain who is right or wrong here? Thanks!

Jill

I'm not a travel agent, but that doesn't sound right to me. SS and SY cabins are a "lesser" category of cabin, because they don't qualify as full deluxe verandah suites, with all the attached amenities (such as exclusive use of the Neptune Lounge) which the SA, SB, and SC suites enjoy. So, SS and SY would definitely not be an "upgrade". If you have an SC guarantee, then you are guaranteed at least a cabin in that category, and if HAL does move you, you would be only moved up to categories SA, SB, or the Penthouse.

IMHO your TA is wrong, wrong, WRONG. I've seen insides for more $ than outsides and outsides for more than verandah cabins. Being "upgraded" into a lower category because it is more 'expensive' is NOT going to happen. I would book my next vacation with a different TA. ;)

Thanks for the quick responses! Glad to know I actually DID understand the way guarantee cabins work. I'm going to wait and see which cabin we get assigned in the hopes that HAL gets it right and my TA is simply misinformed herself. I think she's new at her position, but next time we'll probably stay on our own as I feel pretty comfortable booking without any assistance now.

Jill

Do you have a booking number? You could go on the HAL web site and start the check in process. If it says you are in anything below an SC guarantee, I would get in touch with that TA right away. You won't have a room assigned yet but it will show what category you are booked in.

Jill,

Just wanted to tell you I really enjoyed looking at your Alaska photo album you have linked in your signature. I'm really looking forward to our Alaska cruise in 5/2010. I also agree with those above...the cabin upgrade should only be in cabin category, not $$$. Cruise fares are so weird anyway.

I will definitely come back and post an update with our cabin number. We're still about a month out from our sail date, so it might be a little while yet.

Knitlady - we do have a booking number....and I have gone on the HAL website and filled out the "online boarding" papers. It still states Westerdam SC GUAR. Again, I have faith in HAL getting this right, I was just struck with a bit of shock at my TA's view on our situation.

Jill

I will definitely come back and post an update with our cabin number. We're still about a month out from our sail date, so it might be a little while yet.

Knitlady - we do have a booking number....and I have gone on the HAL website and filled out the "online boarding" papers. It still states Westerdam SC GUAR. Again, I have faith in HAL getting this right, I was just struck with a bit of shock at my TA's view on our situation.

Jill

As stated above ... your T/A is wrong and/or does not understand the guarantee process.

As has been said, your TA is unfortunately wrong.

You have a CategorySC Guarantee. You will be assigned an SC, SB, SA or PS only. It's based on category, not price. It's not an "SC Price Guarantee".

This, however, is part of what gives TAs a bad rep ... when they speak without knowing what they're talking about.

Thanks for the quick responses! Glad to know I actually DID understand the way guarantee cabins work. I'm going to wait and see which cabin we get assigned in the hopes that HAL gets it right and my TA is simply misinformed herself. I think she's new at her position, but next time we'll probably stay on our own as I feel pretty comfortable booking without any assistance now.

Jill

Good for you! When our TA booked with a "local service provider" who was never found, and had us leaving on a cruise from an airport 400 miles away at 6AM, we started booking ourselves. I envy people who have a Good TA locally!:cool:

When I read your first post, I was afraid that your TA had made a mistake and booked you into an SS or SY guarantee and was trying to trick you. I can't imagine a qualified TA saying that you would be given a lesser cabin. I was happy to read your later post where you have written confirmation that you have an SC guarantee. You are right that you will get an SC or higher category.

Thanks again, everyone. I'm feeling better about the situation since I'm being reassured that I really do understand how "guarantees" work. I'm glad everyone is enjoying the 2007 cruise pics (a handful of the 400+ we actually took)....can't wait to add more photos after our cruise in May!

Jill

... my TA is simply misinformed herself. I think she's new at her position ...
I would venture a guess that she has never been on a cruise ship, nor has she taken the Travel Institute and/or CLIA courses to help her become knowledgeable about what she's selling. And that's sad because it drives customers away.

I would venture a guess that she has never been on a cruise ship, nor has she taken the Travel Institute and/or CLIA courses to help her become knowledgeable about what she's selling. And that's sad because it drives customers away.

Bravo, Jim. Absolutely true.

Upgrades can be "downgrades" sometimes, depending on your wishes. For example, you could get upgraded from a conveniently located inside cabing in a quiet area to a restricted oceanview at the bow where the ride is rougher and underneath a public area. Another example is the LP deck; some people hate that deck (we love it). Some people put a "do not upgrade" flag on their res.

• 3 months later...
Yet another example of why I use a Personal Cruise Consultant direct

with HAL!

how did you get a PCC direct with Hal ? Do they have good prices? I am embarking on only my 6th cruise with them, but in the last few days I have seen the PCC code. How did you get this? Hope you are still tapping in ? thanks Jacqui

Archived