Do we pass The Statue of Liberty?

judeg

We are sailing on Caribbean Princess from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, New York in September, and wondered how close we shall be to The Statue of Liberty? And how long should we allow for the taxi transfer from Manhattan? I hear that it gets a bit congested near to the terminal?

Thanks fellow cruisers

Judy

On the starboard side of the ship, SOL will be about 1/2 mile to your right as your ship sail away from the pier terminal, so don't miss it - as it will turn into the main channel & go underneath the VZ Bridge & head away from the inlets. It will not sail as close when compared to those departing from the Manhattan & Bayonne, NJ piers but it's still excellent.

The link below has more info about the pier. As for taxi ride, allow 45 minutes to 1 hour - depending on where you are staying - due to bridge/tunnel traffic and mid-day/weekend road constructions, which pop up all the time.

http://www.brooklyncruiseguide.com/cruise-terminal.html

From onboard the ship when it's docked you've got a good view of the Statue of Liberty. I don't remember which side, but it's easily seen and a beautiful sight.

Sorry I can't help on travel time, just don't remember. I've docked there once, after a transatlantic and I think we took a Princess transfer downtown.

Have a wonderful trip.

Thanks for the two replies, useful info there- will make sure my zoom lens is working on the camera, and we allow a little longer than we'd planned to get there!!

Have been to NY twice before but as with everywhere else we've cruised there's nothing like entering and leaving a port by ship- can't wait!

The link below has more info about the pier. As for taxi ride, allow 45 minutes to 1 hour - depending on where you are staying - due to bridge/tunnel traffic and mid-day/weekend road constructions, which pop up all the time.

Since the OP didn't say exactly where in Manhattan they were starting from, can you tell me how long it would be for us to drive from our hotel in Jersey City to Red Hook on a Saturday?

Grego - Mapquest says 7.3 miles - 18 minutes. Sounds optimistic to me. However, should not really be more than 1/2 hour from Jersey City. Your hotel is almost at the Holland Tunnel. You follow the signs to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and presto - you're in Brooklyn near the cruise dock. Downtown Manhattan should not be busy on a Saturday morning. If you allow some extra time, you can drive by South Ferry to see the SOL from Battery Park.

Grego - Mapquest says 7.3 miles - 18 minutes. Sounds optimistic to me. However, should not really be more than 1/2 hour from Jersey City. Your hotel is almost at the Holland Tunnel. You follow the signs to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and presto - you're in Brooklyn near the cruise dock. Downtown Manhattan should not be busy on a Saturday morning. If you allow some extra time, you can drive by South Ferry to see the SOL from Battery Park.

Good information and great idea of driving by South Ferry. We hope to see the SOL during our tour of NY the day before, but if time doesn't permit, this might be a good way to see her.

Thanks again for all your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

...What about leaving from Cape Liberty? ...

The SoL is approx 2 miles upriver from Cape Liberty. Assuming the bow of the cruise ship is pointing at NYC, go to an upper deck on the port side for a view. Good binoculars will give you the best view. An upper deck is needed so you can see over the buildings and equipment on the next wharf.

SBtS

Archived