auto tips

jonorma

You made a choice to have three children; you made a choice to take a cruise for vacation. . . . It is what it is. And if you DO find a housekeeper who will clean bathrooms, lay and clear the dining room table, serve, wash dishes, and do laundry -- all for just $50/day, please give me her number.

Surely the OP paid their cruise fare to cover someone doing all the above tasks:confused: Now whether they choose to leave on all or only some of the autotips for distribution amongst those persons doing those tasks is a different matter and a choice which is completely personal to them - these autotips are not mandatory at the moment. We seem to be losing the point that the cruise fares paid cover people cleaning bathrooms, washing dishes etc. etc. otherwise we might just as well book a self-catering holiday and have done with it.

Surely the OP paid their cruise fare to cover someone doing all the above tasks:confused: We seem to be losing the point that the cruise fares paid cover people cleaning bathrooms, washing dishes etc. etc. otherwise we might just as well book a self-catering holiday and have done with it.

The point you make is something I picked up on before in a fairly recent thread on auto-tips, the feeling that you've only paid for your room on the cruise and not for the people to clean it or that you've only paid for the steak in the dining room but not for someone to cook it or bring it to your table..!!

Having said that, I always leave the auto-tip on in full.

Surely the OP paid their cruise fare to cover someone doing all the above tasks:confused: Now whether they choose to leave on all or only some of the autotips for distribution amongst those persons doing those tasks is a different matter and a choice which is completely personal to them - these autotips are not mandatory at the moment. We seem to be losing the point that the cruise fares paid cover people cleaning bathrooms, washing dishes etc. etc. otherwise we might just as well book a self-catering holiday and have done with it.

Nicely said!!!

The definition of a tip is to "insure proper service", not to pay someones entire salary! What exactly did our thousand dollar cruise fare go to pay for?

Just to clarify, on your shipboard account, it is called a hotel charge, not a tip or gratuity.

Maybe they should not give room steward service to those removing this charge, since you paid for your passage, but not the extra service of having your stateroom cleaned and special things done for you twice each day?

Maybe those removing tips should be forced to go to the buffet, so their waiter can take better care of those that do not remove the service charge from their account?

Maybe they shouldn't tack on a 15% service charge on every drink, but make you go to one bar at the very front of the ship and wait in line for your drinks?

Lots of different views on this one, and those are mine.:o

Just to clarify, on your shipboard account, it is called a hotel charge, not a tip or gratuity.

Maybe they should not give room steward service to those removing this charge, since you paid for your passage, but not the extra service of having your stateroom cleaned and special things done for you twice each day?

Maybe those removing tips should be forced to go to the buffet, so their waiter can take better care of those that do not remove the service charge from their account?

Maybe they shouldn't tack on a 15% service charge on every drink, but make you go to one bar at the very front of the ship and wait in line for your drinks?

Good point!

Mine as well, Princess are you listening?????

Mike:)

Glad Princess doesn't feel the way that you do because they give everyone a choice, they can be removed if you want them to be removed. Not that I would reccomend you to remove the charges but I feel its very important that everyone has a choice and does what is best for them. Untill Princess changes that policy, do as your heart tells you.

Glad Princess doesn't feel the way that you do because they give everyone a choice, they can be removed if you want them to be removed. Not that I would reccomend you to remove the charges but I feel its very important that everyone has a choice and does what is best for them. Untill Princess changes that policy, do as your heart tells you.

I can see someone having the choice of removing the charge if they had terrible service. But lately the discussion is because 1) The economy is bad and I can't afford it. Or 2) We don't add that charge where we live so we shouldn't have to pay it.

I can totally understand removing this if the service was bad, but not for the reasons listed above.

I can see someone having the choice of removing the charge if they had terrible service. But lately the discussion is because 1) The economy is bad and I can't afford it. Or 2) We don't add that charge where we live so we shouldn't have to pay it.

I can totally understand removing this if the service was bad, but not for the reasons listed above.

You might not like it, you might not agree with it but it gets back that the choice is all hers and she can do what she wants. Some people take liquor in their suitcase they don't care if the people working the bar get screwed over, that is against Princess Policy, maybe you should fight harder for them. Guess what, not leaving a tip is not against Princess policy. Now again, I can agree I have never had a situation where I didn't leave a tip but sometimes I have to make adjustments as I see fit. One day the cruise lines might change the policy but untill than it is freedom of choice for the individual.

Exactly. I don't like it, I don't agree with it, but that is my opinon. And I have the same right to my opinon as anyone who thinks they should remove the charge for reasons besides bad service.

And another personal opinion. I can not wait until Princess includes this charge in the cruise fare (listen to them scream then), OR makes it mandatory and it can not be removed. Which will penalize those that were removing it for the proper reasons (sub standard service received). ;)

Have a great weekend! :)

I have cruised in Scandinavia where they included all gratuity's but you were given points to give out to people who made your cruise even more pleasurable. These folks were given extra cash awards at the end when they turned in points for cash. I really liked that system because everyone was taken care of but the service remained high because they were motivated to get the points. Hope you have a good weekend.

Its very simple..If you can't afford the "auto tip" you can't afford to cruise... period!!! Some people need to educate themselves as to just how the cruise industry works in regards to employee compensation.

You may not like the system, but tipping is the way things are done in the USA. For many workers, such as waitresses and chambermaids, they are paid exceedingly low wages with the expectation that tips will bring them up to a reasonable wage. I can't imagine going to a restaurant here in this country and saying "Service was fine but I am not going to leave a tip because the waitress is already paid for her work" because that wouldn't be the case. If tips are done away with, charges for meals and other items will go up the adjusted amount. You may not agree, but cruise ship staff are paid with the assumption of receiving tips. Now, removing tips for poor service is another subject entirely (and justified, I might add) --- but that's not what we're talking about here.

Removing auto tips = CHEAP BUM

That's my opinion and I dont care what anyone else thinks.

I pray that all cruiselines will simply add them to the cruise cost so CHEAP BUMS have to pay them.

I agree with you. I do not understand why parents think that they do not need to tip for children, especially the two year old that creates a mess. I would not dream of taking a cruise with my child if I did not have finances to tip.

Cheap bum about sums it all up.

You may not like the system, but tipping is the way things are done in the USA. For many workers, such as waitresses and chambermaids, they are paid exceedingly low wages with the expectation that tips will bring them up to a reasonable wage. I can't imagine going to a restaurant here in this country and saying "Service was fine but I am not going to leave a tip because the waitress is already paid for her work" because that wouldn't be the case. If tips are done away with, charges for meals and other items will go up the adjusted amount. You may not agree, but cruise ship staff are paid with the assumption of receiving tips. Now, removing tips for poor service is another subject entirely (and justified, I might add) --- but that's not what we're talking about here.

But its always being hammered away on these tipping threads, by the many of the same people who are hammering away here on this thread, that autotips should never be removed as then all the crew suffer and rather, if someone experiences poor service, the correct way to go is to fill in the comment cards:confused:

As for those advocating bringing in a mandatory service charge - the sooner the better in my opinion, then we will have a transparent cruise price and the staff will presumably receive a living wage for all their hard work.

The tenor of some of the responses to these tipping threads never ceases to amaze me - they are extremely rude to anyone who does not agree with them.

Even though I have about 30 cruises under my belt, I think I may have learned something new here.

What I think I read was that only if you leave Auto tip intact, can you privately tip an individual and they will be able to keep it.

Being a traditionalist, I have opted out of auto tipping everytime, because I enjoy presonally thanking and handing the tip to each person, with a short letter of appreciation.

I have never tipped less than the auto tip amount, and seldom have not tip more, including some people who do not participate in the group disbursement.

Now I fear, that the entire amount must have been reported and relegated to the pool.

In the future I will leave the Auto tip authorized, and simply provide the letter and additional tips or simply the letter of thanks with the deserving people.

Since even old, experienced cruiser can learn from others, I do not believe open and honest discussions should be stifled. As in all cases, on all subject, I ALWAYS choose whether or not I agree with the respondent, but also ALWAYS recognize their right to believe as they do, right or wrong !

Joe

Even though I have about 30 cruises under my belt, I think I may have learned something new here.

What I think I read was that only if you leave Auto tip intact, can you privately tip an individual and they will be able to keep it.

Being a traditionalist, I have opted out of auto tipping everytime, because I enjoy presonally thanking and handing the tip to each person, with a short letter of appreciation.

I have never tipped less than the auto tip amount, and seldom have not tip more, including some people who do not participate in the group disbursement.

Now I fear, that the entire amount must have been reported and relegated to the pool.

This is indeed how Princess handles the situation you describe.

In the future I will leave the Auto tip authorized, and simply provide the letter and additional tips or simply the letter of thanks with the deserving people.

This is what we do as well.

Archived