auto tips

jonorma

I just recently saw the .50 difference on my cruise doc.s

Thats the silliest thing I think I've seen in a while.

From $10.50 ALL THE WAY UP to $11.00 for suite pax.

They should leave it at 10.50 across the board OR kick it up to $15.00 for suite pax . I mean after all they have to not only clean our suites, they have to put up with all our silly request that we have developed over the years.

You know who you are !! :D Especially you elite people ;)

mpk

Toto

Please re-read my friend's question. It was never stated or intimated that she did not intend to pay the upgraded Auto Tip charge SHOULD she be upgraded. It was just an innocent question - that was all.

It was just something that came up in conversation with her and I thought I would see what the position was with Princess. She has never cruised with them and neither have I, yet!!

Why oh why do innocent questions, especially regarding auto-tips, ignite the flames??

No need for disbelief or reaching to the heavens and thanks for the official position.

K

Toto

Please re-read my friend's question. It was never stated or intimated that she did not intend to pay the upgraded Auto Tip charge SHOULD she be upgraded. It was just an innocent question - that was all.

It was just something that came up in conversation with her and I thought I would see what the position was with Princess. She has never cruised with them and neither have I, yet!!

Why oh why do innocent questions, especially regarding auto-tips, ignite the flames??

No need for disbelief or reaching to the heavens and thanks for the official position.

K

Just Curious

Toto

K

The question was innocent enough if it weren't for that one liner, it was the one line you typed as follows:

"After all it would be Princess's choice to upgrade you?"

So, my understanding was that you felt that since it was Princess that did the upgrade, you/your friend, shouldn't have to pay the extra 50 cents per day per person in gratuities. Is that not what you meant to type, or did I misunderstand and this was not what you were suggesting?

The question was innocent enough if it weren't for that one liner, it was the one line you typed as follows:

"After all it would be Princess's choice to upgrade you?"

So, my understanding was that you felt that since it was Princess that did the upgrade, you/your friend, shouldn't have to pay the extra 50 cents per day per person in gratuities. Is that not what you meant to type, or did I misunderstand and this was not what you were suggesting?

Statement of fact

Perhaps, with the benefit of hindsight, I should have phrased the question a little more specifically. Although my friend has not been offered an upgrade and no Fairy dust has been sprinkled in this part of the UK this week either!!

I merely wished to state, in the last sentence, that IF an offer of a free of charge upgrade was forthcomming from a cruise line then that is exactly what it is - an offer from them to you to move you up to a different level of cabin than the one you originally booked and budgeted for. Then my original question applied re the increase in the auto tip.

All now clarified and hope this rests this matter and many thanks for all assistance

K

So, the answer to your innocent question would be as follows:

You are expected to pay the gratuities/hotel charge, associated with the stateroom you are assigned/reside in. If upgraded to a mini suite or full suite, the normal charge of $10.50 per person per day would increase by 50 cents per person per day to $11.00 per person per day, even if that is not the original category you booked. ;)

So, the answer to your innocent question would be as follows:

You are expected to pay the gratuities/hotel charge, associated with the stateroom you are assigned/reside in. If upgraded to a mini suite or full suite, the normal charge of $10.50 per person per day would increase by 50 cents per person per day to $11.00 per person per day, even if that is not the original category you booked. ;)

It's your choice. Remove the auto tip if that's what YOU want to do

Clearing my throat here as I say this. My response says 'expected' to pay. If you are looking for a fight, please look elsewhere! :rolleyes:

Apologies no fight intended just staing a persons choice of whether to tip or not to tip

Apologies no fight intended just staing a persons choice of whether to tip or not to tip

But as Toto stated earlier (the post in question here was not about whether to tip or not, it was about the increased rate for a mini or a full suite), if an upgrade is offered, one has the choice to decline the upgrade if the 50 cents is such a big deal. Nobody is ever forced to accept. ;)

But as Toto stated earlier (the post in question here was not about whether to tip or not, it was about the increased rate for a mini or a full suite), if an upgrade is offered, one has the choice to decline the upgrade if the 50 cents is such a big deal. Nobody is ever forced to accept. ;)

You can still accept the upgrade, and tip as you see fit! The freedom of choice of tipping is still yours to decide to who and how much you would like to tip, even if they upgrade you.

You can still accept the upgrade, and tip as you see fit! The freedom of choice of tipping is still yours to decide to who and how much you would like to tip, even if they upgrade you.

Yes, but the question was whether it was "expected" (as Toto pointed out), so answers to that question were related to what is "expected".

Yes, but the question was whether it was "expected" (as Toto pointed out), so answers to that question were related to what is "expected".

So if I am planning a cruise and have budgeted my tip amount into my budget, and now they upgrade me and they now change their expectations and want me to leave a bigger tip, well to be honest with you I am taking the upgrade and would be happy to make the additional tip, however, if you work on a cruise, you know this doesn't always happen, it is the passengers choice to tip as they see fit. Untill this tip is mandatory, don't fault the passenger for deciding what they want to leave as a tip, it is 100% their choice. You can expect something all you want, but don't count on it untill you have it. Thats why I like to receive the service before I decide to tip. Auto tip doesn't work for me.

So if I am planning a cruise and have budgeted my tip amount into my budget, and now they upgrade me and they now change their expectations and want me to leave a bigger tip, well to be honest with you I am taking the upgrade and would be happy to make the additional tip, however, if you work on a cruise, you know this doesn't always happen, it is the passengers choice to tip as they see fit. Untill this tip is mandatory, don't fault the passenger for deciding what they want to leave as a tip, it is 100% their choice. You can expect something all you want, but don't count on it untill you have it. Thats why I like to receive the service before I decide to tip. Auto tip doesn't work for me.

I don't know why you keep trying to make it sound like I'm the one saying it's not a personal choice. I have never said that, not here or on any other thread. Please re-read my posts. The question was what's expected. The answer was what's expected. I never said what any person SHOULD do, and I have always agreed that it's each person's CHOICE. Please don't put words in my mouth.

The person who asked re:upgrades specifically said:

Just a question - if you book at balcony cabin and are expecting to pay $10.50 per day gratuities and are then upgraded to, say, a Mini or above, are you then expected to pay the increased rate of $11?

After all it would be Princess's choice to upgrade you?

It was never stated or intimated that she did not intend to pay the upgraded Auto Tip charge SHOULD she be upgraded.

Therefore, by the second quote, it seems this person wants to do what is "expected" (if they get upgraded). That is their choice. The only thing I pointed out was that one is able to decline an upgrade (they inquired that it's Princess' choice to upgrade -- but it's your choice whether to accept). If they truly wish to do what's "expected", by choice & not by coercion (don't twist my words!), they can choose to decline an upgrade if they felt they don't want to pay the extra "expectation" (again stating that it seems they DO want to pay according to that). Again, I was only pointing out that upgrades are not forced. End of story.

When I read this quote, it makes me think that you are saying if the cruise line offers an upgrade and if you don't want to pay the increase in tip, they should decline the upgrade if the .50 is such a big deal. My only point was that they can still accept the upgrade regardless of what tip they decide to leave. I am sorry if you think I am twisting your words, but I quote you when I respond. I will let it be, I think we are both in agreement that they should be rewarded for their efforts and deserve at least the minimum tips. Have a great day!

When I read this quote, it makes me think that you are saying if the cruise line offers an upgrade and if you don't want to pay the increase in tip, they should decline the upgrade if the .50 is such a big deal. My only point was that they can still accept the upgrade regardless of what tip they decide to leave. I am sorry if you think I am twisting your words, but I quote you when I respond. I will let it be, I think we are both in agreement that they should be rewarded for their efforts and deserve at least the minimum tips. Have a great day!

Again, like I've said, the only reason I stated they COULD decline, is because (1) they asked about it being Princess' decision to upgrade and (2) because they indicated they want to do as "expected". If that is the case, and they did not wish to pay the extra, they COULD decline. That is the option if they genuinely want to do as "expected" but don't want to pay more than originally planned. It's just another OPTION in the multitude of options out there. Simple.

Archived