Oceania - worth the extra cost?

SeaWatch

As I said - "my take" - others may see it differently.

To me a PH implies a truly spacious and luxurious cabin. It isn't - not in my view. Finding it "quite comfortable" isn't exactly a rave. I expect more for my money.

I love Oceania but their marketing of the "teak verandas" makes me smile.

The balconies are postage stamp size.

Perhaps some facts will be of help

Definition- a suite is where the bedroom is separate room from the remainder of the cabin. The cruise industry tends to misuse the term suite to describe their larger cabin accommodations

Floor areas:

Oceania Penthouse Cabins- 322 sq.ft.

Oceania Balcony Cabins- 216 sq.ft.

DEAN

I love Oceania but their marketing of the "teak verandas" makes me smile.

The balconies are postage stamp size

Actually, the Penthouse verandahs on Oceania are similar in size, and amenities to those of a an S category (Full Suite) on Princess or HAL.

showstaterooms.aspx?img=15PH1PH2PH322.jpg

While I would choose O over HAL and Princess, I must disagree about the size. A suite on princess has a smaller balcony, but a much larger suite, separate bed area, 2 separate areas in the bathroom divided by a door, an all glass shower with separate tub, a much larger sitting area. The balcony, however is smaller. As far as HAL, a suite is 553 sq ft with a balcony so large, you could probably fit 4 or 5 O alconies on it! No butler service on either, but I would trade the butler on O for the Neptune lounge and the specialty restaurant breakfasts on HAL.

My first choice is still O, but HAL is a close second (oh, and free laundry and dry cleaning)

Kathie

While I would choose O over HAL and Princess, I must disagree about the size. A suite on princess has a smaller balcony, but a much larger suite, separate bed area, 2 separate areas in the bathroom divided by a door, an all glass shower with separate tub, a much larger sitting area. The balcony, however is smaller. As far as HAL, a suite is 553 sq ft with a balcony so large, you could probably fit 4 or 5 O alconies on it! No butler service on either, but I would trade the butler on O for the Neptune lounge and the specialty restaurant breakfasts on HAL.

My first choice is still O, but HAL is a close second (oh, and free laundry and dry cleaning)

Kathie

I see that you're going to do the Maasdam in 2010. We just came off her on the Route of the Vikings for 42 days. It was our 4th and last HAL cruise. We prefer O and we've just booked our 23rd and 24th cruise with O. HAL has really gone down. We always take a PH on O, and frankly the comparable on HAL was most unacceptable.The food was AWFUL!!!!! The itinerary was SUPERB but HAL is not worth it any more!!!

HAL, a suite is 553 sq ft with a balcony so large, you could probably fit 4 or 5 O alconies on it!
GrammieK,

Are you sure that you were not in an owners suite on HAL? Now THEY have a verandah right out of an MGM musical, and the room is not too shabby, either.

3D_Penthouse.jpg520XPenthouse.jpg

There may be some confusion, because HAL sometimes refers to the Owners suites as Deluxe Penthouse Suites, and it is true, until the Marina comes online, Oceania has nothing to compare with those HAL deluxe penthouses.

What I'm comparing, however, is a HAL S class (SA on the Vista Class), with a P1 on Oceania.

IMHO, Unless you're planning on entertaining in your suite, the extra square footage is wasted on HAL. Their verandah is slightly deeper, but not certainly not 4 or 5 times the size of an O verandah.

staterooms-3d-ph1.jpgDeluxe%20verandah%20diagram.jpg

You get almost exactly the same amenities in the room, Bed, sofa, tv, desk, expandable table for room service, larger bathroom (than a standard) and more closet space.

520XDlxVerSuite.jpgpenthouse.jpg

The Neptune Lounge is Holland Americas way of making you run down the hall to fetch your suite amenities. No thank you, I'd rather my butler handled that.

Actually, I was in a Deluxe Veranda Suite (S35) and it was 553 sq ft. (O PH1/2/3 321 sq ft) The balcony had a large table for 4 with 4 chairs, 2 large deck chairs and a small table to rest drinks on. There was enough room to spread everything out and still walk in between everything. We even had another lounger delivered for a friend to use. Okay, maybe the balcony wasn't 4-5 x the size of O, but it was at least 3x as large. Not only was it deeper, it was also wider. The suite also had a larger closet/vanity area. The Penthouse Suite on HAL (on the Veendam/Ryndam - only 1 per ship) is the one that is 1000 sq ft. I have never been in one of those - maybe after the Lottery???

As far as the Neptune Lounge, it was great to be able to keep getting those hot coffees on the Alaska cruise. I didn't mind the walk, I looked at it as burning calories as I went to get more....

And I still have to say - those specialty restaurant breakfasts are a real pleasure, but "Butler " delivery is easier.

Kathie

Archived