QM2: Lunch on embarkation day

Warmfront

Bring body armour and swords. Alternatively, bring sandwiches.

While I agree it was the most crowded time for the full crossing, it wasn’t THAT bad IMHO. I didn’t have any trouble to find a table (but I took one in the middle section, of course all the tables near the windows were taken and some people were waiting for them – I preferred to eat a quick bite and head somewhere else).

I have tremendously enjoyed my B2B crossing aboard QM2 but embarkation lunch was one of my very few disappointments. On NCL (which is much less expensive than Cunard), they do offer a nice dining room lunch from 12 to 2 pm as an alternative to the buffet and it’s starting at that moment that I feel on vacation. On QM2, I felt on vacation only at sailaway. Cunard should really think about dining room lunch on embarkation day, much more a Cunard Experience than a crowded buffet - First impressions are important.

I have tremendously enjoyed my B2B crossing aboard QM2 but embarkation lunch was one of my very few disappointments. On NCL (which is much less expensive than Cunard), they do offer a nice dining room lunch from 12 to 2 pm as an alternative to the buffet and it’s starting at that moment that I feel on vacation. On QM2, I felt on vacation only at sailaway. Cunard should really think about dining room lunch on embarkation day, much more a Cunard Experience than a crowded buffet - First impressions are important.

I quite agree. You used to be able to order cabin service which was ideal. One does't necessarily want to eat huge quantities, but one doesn't want to fight through the crowds.

It's probably a lot easier if you don't travel solo.

And I was serious about the sandwiches!

Believe me is H*** traveling solo and trying to get a table in the Kings Court carrying a tray as well as looking for a table, and heaen forbid you should need to go back for something, not only will you find your table gone, but if you leave a bag to "save the table" that will be gone also.

Even in transit you cannot have a civilised lunch if you are not in the Grills. (and NO I do NOT want to go into the town on my own)

Cunard really shold do something about the lack of "white glove service" they offer these days. on turnaround/embarkation/disembarkation days. Passengers are NOT cattle to eat a a "trough", breakfast is always a mess on these days, no this no that, out of the other. I have been on other ships where B2B passengers have a special dinning room for these days. but not Cunard.

And a lovely lunch it is, no? Hope you and Brian both are well!

It is a wonderful lunch M ! We are both good thank you, hope you two are enjoying married life and looking forward to your next voyage.

QV in three weeks for us!

Jackie :)

Believe me is H*** traveling solo and trying to get a table in the Kings Court carrying a tray as well as looking for a table, and heaen forbid you should need to go back for something, not only will you find your table gone, but if you leave a bag to "save the table" that will be gone also.

Even in transit you cannot have a civilised lunch if you are not in the Grills. (and NO I do NOT want to go into the town on my own)

Cunard really shold do something about the lack of "white glove service" they offer these days. on turnaround/embarkation/disembarkation days. Passengers are NOT cattle to eat a a "trough", breakfast is always a mess on these days, no this no that, out of the other. I have been on other ships where B2B passengers have a special dinning room for these days. but not Cunard.

I have to agree with you on this one, we usually have a big breakfast in our hotel on embarkation day, so can avoid the lunch rush on board.

Upon boarding QM last October we went directly to PG to check out our table. We were not happy and asked the MD if we could change. There was no problem and by dinner we had been allocated a lovely table for two.

Strolling back from PG through Kings Court was like an obstacle course, it was purely and simply chaos.

I really could not believe how rude folk were, one would think that they had never seen food in their entire life!

Whilst l can understand that many crew members are otherwise engaged on this day, l really do feel that room service should be available, even if only limited to a sandwich.

This could very easily be pre booked and waiting in the cabin on arrival, it would save time and as us ladies are very adept at multi tasking, we could be unpacking and nibbling at the same time!

Travelling alone under these circumstances must be terribly difficult.

Hi Jackie

I am hopefully looking forward to lunch in the Grill on embarkation day - they finish at 3 pm don't they in QG? I ask as I most likely wont' be onboard until around 2.15 pm ish so hopefully can still make lunch!

I thought like QE2 room service is available even on the day of embarkation? I certainly have no real desire to queue up in Kings Court for a snack or lunch! I never liked the Lido much on QE2 either!

Kind Regards,

Richard

Have to say that we had lunch in Kings Court on embarkation day and had no problem finding a table. This was about 2.30 though, so earlier was probably the chaos mentioned before. Do agree that B2B guests should have the options for room service or specific area set aside.

Hi Jackie

I am hopefully looking forward to lunch in the Grill on embarkation day - they finish at 3 pm don't they in QG? I ask as I most likely wont' be onboard until around 2.15 pm ish so hopefully can still make lunch!

I thought like QE2 room service is available even on the day of embarkation? I certainly have no real desire to queue up in Kings Court for a snack or lunch! I never liked the Lido much on QE2 either!

Kind Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

If l recall....lunch in the Grills is served until 2.30 pm on embarkation day! So you should make it with time to spare!

Sadly, room service on QM does not exist on the day in question! It's the Grills :) or Kings Court :eek:

QE2 of course was in a class of her own......although l do recall the Lido buzzing on embarkation with folk eagerly awaiting afternoon tea! ;)

thanks Jackie very much for this info - if I miss this I'll enjoy my first dinner on board even more!!!!! that being said I may go & see what is on offer at Kings Court if I miss lunch. Very interestingly on my crossing on QM2 in Nov 2005 there was room service so this must have changed - yes I quite agree QE2 was in a class of her own with the obligatory Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room after boarding! Something else I missed on QM2 on my one crossing & time on board- whilst QE2 was around I still preferred to sail on the then 'Queen of the Seas'.

I'll post a review when I get back. After nearly a 4 year gap it will almost be like going on board for the first time & I am going to try & not compare too much to QE2 as I did back in Nov 2005 & was then disappointed with QM2!

Kind Regards,

Richard

I have to agree with you on this one, we usually have a big breakfast in our hotel on embarkation day, so can avoid the lunch rush on board.

Strolling back from PG through Kings Court was like an obstacle course, it was purely and simply chaos.

I really could not believe how rude folk were, one would think that they had never seen food in their entire life!

I agree, I don’t know what all the fuss is about getting lunch on board. No-one’s body is going to go into starvation mode lockdown if you don’t get a sandwich by 3pm. If you have to leave home before rosy cheeked Dawn has thrown off the duvet and had a good scratch then you already know that and should make provision. Call at a café or pub en route. If you have stayed overnight have a good breakfast and then get a cab to town have a walk round then a leisurely lunch in one of Soton’s restaurants. Cab back to pick up your kit and get to the terminal about 3/3.30 when the crowds have thinned out. Let’s face it even at the cheapest range the trip is going to cost the thick end of £1500 even if you don’t drink a lot. Why hassle yourself for the sake of an extra £30/£40. Why brave the scrimmage of King’s Court; risk getting snarled at or frustrated at not finding a table. I have witnessed more rude behaviour in that place than anywhere else. Take it easy, get your holiday off to a happy start. You don’t have to join the ravening hordes who descend on the buffet as though they have just escaped from some third world famine hell, most of whom, to judge from their body shapes, look as though they eat a three course meal every hour on the hour with a snack in between. Come on people, you aint gonna die if you go more than 4 hours without food unless you are unfortunate enough to suffer from one of those conditions that necessitate a frequent regular intake. In which case take your own sandwich or apple or choccy bar or whatever.

Now if there were no bars open and I was deprived of my very first holiday Martini….. well then that is a totally different breed of hamster.

A well fed Gari

I agree, I

...get a cab to town have a walk round then a leisurely lunch in one of Soton’s restaurants. Cab back to pick up...]Now if there were no bars open and I was deprived of my very first holiday Martini….. well then that is a totally different breed of hamster

After our first experience with the Kings Court in July 2006, we decided that the next time we would have a Plan B. The following year, we took the same Independence Voyage (we live in NY so it is so easy). We arrived at the port, parked the car, checked our luggage, got our boarding documents, then took a cab to a local restaurant and had a leisurely lunch. Also, since I usually bring my own orange juice for the cabin, was able to get it back to the ship nice and cold. Took a cab back to the Pier and the lines were horrible because of computer glitch. We already had everyhing we needed to board, so it proved to be a great plan as we boarded effortlessly (after security line of course).

The following two voyages have been in PG, as will be the one this Independence Holiday Voyage, so lunch is no longer an issue.

Regards,

Jeanne

I agree, I don’t know what all the fuss is about getting lunch on board. No-one’s body is going to go into starvation mode lockdown if you don’t get a sandwich by 3pm. If you have to leave home before rosy cheeked Dawn has thrown off the duvet and had a good scratch then you already know that and should make provision. Call at a café or pub en route. If you have stayed overnight have a good breakfast and then get a cab to town have a walk round then a leisurely lunch in one of Soton’s restaurants. Cab back to pick up your kit and get to the terminal about 3/3.30 when the crowds have thinned out. Let’s face it even at the cheapest range the trip is going to cost the thick end of £1500 even if you don’t drink a lot. Why hassle yourself for the sake of an extra £30/£40. Why brave the scrimmage of King’s Court; risk getting snarled at or frustrated at not finding a table. I have witnessed more rude behaviour in that place than anywhere else. Take it easy, get your holiday off to a happy start. You don’t have to join the ravening hordes who descend on the buffet as though they have just escaped from some third world famine hell, most of whom, to judge from their body shapes, look as though they eat a three course meal every hour on the hour with a snack in between. Come on people, you aint gonna die if you go more than 4 hours without food unless you are unfortunate enough to suffer from one of those conditions that necessitate a frequent regular intake. In which case take your own sandwich or apple or choccy bar or whatever.

Now if there were no bars open and I was deprived of my very first holiday Martini….. well then that is a totally different breed of hamster.

A well fed Gari

Sound words of wisdom Gari which I shall take on board - literally! Thanks to everyone else for their feedback. Will have a good breakfast at the hotel before leaving!

Seriously *laughing out loud*. I'm getting ready to sail on the QM2 for the first time in July. Looking forward to it.

A well fed Gari

The first-lunch mayhem in the Kings Court is very offputting to many passengers. I was very surprised on my first QM2 voyage at the spectacle in the K.C., and it's been that way on every subsequent trip I've taken on the QM2. There's absolutely no question: it gives a horrible impression to first-time QM2 passengers.

After five years, Cunard should have been able to figure out some way to offer a sit-down lunch or some strategy to make that first lunch less of a negative experience. How about a tea? --that's what they used to do on the Caronia on embarkation day. Have some options!! For Cunard to promote itself as a permium cruise line and then, year after year, to permit the conditions that cause this chaos is not good.

When I boarded the Eurodam last February they served a really nice lunch in the dining room from 12-2. I think HAL keeps it a bit secret but it was surely a wonderful start of the cruise.

So if Cunard is considered a notch higher than HAL, why doesn't Carnival Corp introduce it to Cunard too?

I never gotten the logic of the Kings Court and it reminded me of a crowded department store cafetaria on a Saturday afternoon. I do understand considering the special set up of the QM2 designers were kind restricted but I've never seen such a lost crowd. And the white stone tiles and austere furniture give it a ghastly railway station atmosphere.

I don't know if it's financially or technically possible, but at a next dry dock I do suggest they move the Grills forward and the Kings Court aft to the open deck

Luckily the Britannia food and service were really good. (I do remember a very good lunch on one occasion) It was really nice apart from that horrible muzak in thhe back ground They always did gave us a table for ourselves if we felt like it.

Archived