Emerald questions...

lysolqn

Considering booking Emerald for later this year and have been reading through member reviews. Have taken enough cruises and have been a CC member long enough to know that reviews, whether good or bad, are to be read cautiously, considering everyone has different experiences, different expectations and often different agendas. Notwithstanding, there seem to more than the fair share of negatives reported on recent Emerald cruises, particularly with respect to food and service - something that gives me some cause for concern.

We've cruised close to fifty times, having been on most of the major lines, and on Princess three times. Celebrity is usually our first choice but their ships aren't in the Caribbean when we're interested in sailing, so we've been looking at other lines and have pretty much honed in on Emerald. It's been a couple of years since our last Princess cruise and since then all cruise lines have been introducing a variety of changes and cost-cutting measures. I'm sure Princess is no different. Would appreciate some objective feedback re Emerald specifically, and the Princess product of late, in general.

Many thanks.

We are loyal Princess cruisers, and enjoyed 20 days on onboard the Emerald in January. We loved the ship, found the staff to be wonderful, loved the features such as the International Cafe, Vines, Sanctuary, the open balcony area outside of Adagio...

There was a lot we truly enjoyed about the ship. The crew was wonderful, but there is staff turnover so thing so change. Even between the two b2b's, the chef left to go home to welcome a new baby, and the preparation of some dishes changed. We wouldn't hesitate to sail the Emerald again - in fact, we are looking forward to it. We think our experience on the Emerald was the best we have had aboard Princess in several years.

I don't know if this is helpful to you, but we would recommend the Emerald in a second to our friends...and steer our enemies to NCL!;)

We sailed Emerald last year, PH suite on Caribe deck & while the location was freat (aft) the suite itself was the smallest one we have ever been in, so I would go with the Owners suite if that is the catagory you are booking. Beautiful ship & the food was excellent. Sailed sister ship Crown this month & a lot of changes were noticed in the food area. While still very good I think the choices were less, but like you say everyone is cutting down. If you are interested in the sanctuary go asap and register as it sells out very fast. Have fun.

Jan in Mi

Just off the Emerald on April 19 and it was one of the best cruises we ever had. The food was great, the shows in the Explorers Lounge where awesome. We were also on the Emerald last April and the experience was the same. We were in a mini-suite and have absolutely no complaints.

Hope this helps!

We did a 17 day trans Atlantic in 2007 and was great. We are booked on the 18 day crossing from Copenhagen this September and can't wait. We really like the Emerald. NO issues with staff or food. You won't be dissapointed

We did the TransAtlantic in October 2008 and had no complaints. The bed was comfortable, the food very good. The Chef's Table was especially good. And we also enjoyed the International Cafe and the Adagio Bar.

We did a 10 Southern Caribbean on the Emerald last October and found the ship to be absolutely beautiful. Had an aft cabin B749 with a huge balcony and found it was very private and quiet. The Piazza, Adagio lounge (be sure to have the Olive Sampler;), Sabatini's and it's outside deck are NOT to be missed!

We found that the food was very good this cruise and the staff were great.

Had absolutely no complaints and look forward to sailing her again.

IMHO you can't go wrong with a cruise on the Emerald Princess - Enjoy!!

We sailed the Emerald Princess the past two Decembers and have found the experience to be outstanding. Our cabin steward was probably the best ever.

We chose Anytime dining last cruise and ended up eating in the Cafe Caribe (aft of the Horizon Court) all the time, as the food and service was outstanding.

On our first cruise we encountered a waiter who needed some "extra guidance" from us, a private conversation offline, before giving our table its due attention, and he immediately corrected. So people being people there are some who are better at their jobs than others. Thus everyone's experience will vary.

We are among those who would definitely sail on her again.

We were on the same cruise with sunsetbeachgal, but not of her party of six, and we thought this was an outstanding cruise filled with wonderful people and exceptional service.

It was this last January 2009. We are up for the Ruby in 2010 how about you?

We sailed Emerald last year, PH suite on Caribe deck & while the location was freat (aft) the suite itself was the smallest one we have ever been in, so I would go with the Owners suite if that is the catagory you are booking. Beautiful ship & the food was excellent. Sailed sister ship Crown this month & a lot of changes were noticed in the food area. While still very good I think the choices were less, but like you say everyone is cutting down. If you are interested in the sanctuary go asap and register as it sells out very fast. Have fun.

Jan in Mi

That would have had to have been a PS, as the PH are midship on Riviera...

My DH and I were on the Emerald March 20-30, 2009. We had excellent service from everyone on the ship. I would compare it to the personalized service we received on the Regal Princess three years ago on our honeymoon.

Our cabin steward kept the ice bucket full and the room clean. My elite perks were all in place. Robes were hanging in the closet. We always had clean bath and pool towels.

We had anytime dining and our longest wait was 15 minutes on the second formal night. Our lobster was excellent and so were all of the other dishes we tried. We were selected for the Chef's Table and all of the wine drinkers, myself included, never had a empty glass :D.

I would not discount other's poor experiences, but I would have a hard time finding fault with the Emerald.

We just got off the Emerald last week and had a great time. It was our 7th Princess Cruise and we did notice some changes in the food in the dining room. The food wasn't as good as it was on other Princess cruises but the staff changes so frequently and that could affect the quality of the food. There were many entertainment options as always and the Emerald is a gorgeous ship. We would not hesitate sailing again on the Emerald!

We sailed Emerald over New Years and found the experience to be magnificent. The food was better than what we had found on the Grand the year before, althought that food was fine, we just thought that Emerald was a step up. Service was great, however, we are not hard to be please. We did see others that had issues, but this was due to their own doing, not the Princess (people that were mad at Princess that their independantly booked shore excursion was not as advertised). Even these situations were handled with class by the staff onboard. The International Cafe and coffee bar were excellent.

Only negative is that it is correct that you need to arrive at shows early to secure a seat, especially in the smaller venues. We just looked at this as an opportunity to have an extra drink and enjoy the day.

Did the Transatlantic on her in Oct of 07. My only issue is there is no cover pool. (cannot sit in the sun so did miss this feature).

That being said, we love the Ship and would book her again in a heartbeat. (in fact have book the Ruby, her twin for the Greek Isles in 2010)

Enjoy her she great!!

Did the Transatlantic on her in Oct of 07. My only issue is there is no cover pool. (cannot sit in the sun so did miss this feature).

Is this true, there is no covered pool? We had one last July on the Diamond. I believe it might have been the Trident Pool on the Lido Deck. The Lido Deck plan on the Emerald looks similar to the Diamond Lido. I guess I was assuming it was also covered. Am I mistaken?

Thanks,

SUNSETBEACHGAL:

We have not done the Panama Canal although we hope to someday! Be sure to write a long review after you get back.

I just loved the itinerary of the Emerald so much that we want to do it again on the Ruby.

I am going to either book it on our upcoming Star cruise or just get a FCC and book it later. We hope to do the Jan. 29th cruise.

That being said, we love the Ship and would book her again in a heartbeat. (in fact have book the Ruby, her twin for the Greek Isles in 2010)

Enjoy her she great!!

Yikes I thought that this ship has a covered pool. I am doing a 28 day cruise that includes the transatlantic. I guess I just assumed that it had a covered pool. That is my favorite place during sea days. Can anyone else post if the Emerald has a covered pool?

debkjw

I just on the Emerald last week and it does not have a covered pool. I been on the Grand and Sapphire, which have covered pools, and can compare it to them. The pool nearest to the buffet was covered on the Grand and Sapphire. On the Emerald. this pool is not covered but it does higher walls/windows which act as a slight wind block. I think that I read that the Emerald doesn't have the cover, because they added an extra deck of cabins and needed to reduce the weight. This pool is also where MUTS is.

Thanks Terry,

I think that is a deal breaker for me. I was going to be on the ship for 28 days doing the Baltic cruise and transatlantic over the northern route. It includes stops in ireland, scotland, iceland and greenland. I cant imagine not being able to use pools for this long a period if the weather is bad. Sigh! I loved the Diamond and just figured they had a covered pool since the ship was newer. Guess I will have to cancel.

debkjw

I am at wits end. My travel agent has called princess 3 times and they told her the Emerald has a retractable dome. Many people on cruise critic state is doesnt. Here is the latest from princess.

OK, again from Princess (Tonya) the Calypso Reef and Pool is covered by a retractable dome cover. That is located on Lido deck 15.

My friend called princess and they told her it did not 2 times. The travel agent was told yes 3 times. How can I get the answer for sure?

debkjw

Archived