What cruise line?

cruisegirl25

We would like to take a cruise to Hawaii but do not know what cruise line to choose. It would be my 7 year old, my husband and myself. My husband hates flying so I was to cruise roundtrip from somewhere in LA. What would be best? Thanks so much

About the only cruise line with regular mainland/Hawaii cruises is Royal Carribbian. They offer ten and eleven day cruises from Ensenada to Honolulu or the other way pretty much year around.

During "repo" season (April & October) there are several cruise lines that visit Hawaii as part of their ship repositioning from Alaska to the Carribbean.

About the only cruise line with regular mainland/Hawaii cruises is Royal Carribbian. They offer ten and eleven day cruises from Ensenada to Honolulu or the other way pretty much year around.

During "repo" season (April & October) there are several cruise lines that visit Hawaii as part of their ship repositioning from Alaska to the Carribbean.

Doesn't Princess offer a fairly regular round-trip option out of LA?

Yes, there are definitely more and more roundtrip cruises being offered by the mainstream cruiselines - Princess and Celebrity being 2 examples. Carnival and Royal Caribbean only offer one way cruises. The downside of doing a round-trip itinerary is that there will be a LOT Of sea days and the actual amount of time that you spend in the islands will be limited.

As to which cruiseline is better - this is a subject of a lot of debate and honestly depends on your preferences. However, because of Princess' Personal Choice Dining which allows you to eat when you want and because you'll be traveling with a 7 y.o., I suspect Princess would work better for you. Ask around - many opinions on both sides.

Spleen

That is not correct. The Island Princess does round trips the entire fall, winter and spring season (then goes to Alaska). Celebrity is doing regular round trips in the same season and are adding more for 2005, and HAL does this on a regular basis on the Statendam. We have been on both the Statendam (round trip from San Diego) and the Island Princess (round trip from LA) and had a good time on both trips. I don't recommend RCCL as this is the only one that makes you either get on or off in Ensenada, which is a real mess. The others touch the pier in Ensenada briefly to satisfy the Jones Act, but you embark and disembark at the same port in the USA. Of course there is also the POA (NCL) but I have not heard good tales about this new ship yet.

Archived