NCL has new Luggage rules

Redheel Girl

If you're the first one who isn't allowed to bring water or soda on board, don't say we didn't warn you. ;)

Just because things "are the way they are" doesn't mean they can't be changed. The DSC wasn't $12 until they increased it to that amount. The DSC didn't exist until they decided to implement it. There was no such thing as "Freestyle" dining until it was introduced. "Freestyle" self disembarkation didn't exist until a couple of years ago. I could go on and on, but hopefully I've made my point.

You could be right, of course, but keep in mind that NCL's rule about not bringing aboard bottled water or soda has been in place for years but it's never been enforced. That doesn't mean they won't start enforcing it tomorrow but, for the time being, I think we're safe.

Another "rule " with no teeth. Until they publish an overweight charge this is just a requested weight limit. As posted the porters will take all your bags $$$.

The biggest benefit will be that we all should get our bags sooner onboard.

Don, NCL is not going to put in scales and airport baggage systems. The operations at the pier belong to the port and unless every cruiseline demands it, ain't going to happen.

As we all know what is NCL policy (you can't bring water onboard) and what is practice at the pier (no problem bringing water onboard) are and will remain very different.

Wouldn't cost much to do so considering how much they spend on ships. Keep in mind there are a lot of cameras aboard the ship, especially in public spaces. Those security cameras cost much more than will a few receiving stations for luggage.

We have ALL KINDS of wedding stuff to bring with us... I had no problems staying under the 200 pounds but the two bag rule JUST AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. Nobody really thinks they will give us any trouble, do you? Please say no or it's back to the drawing board (AHHHHHHHHH!).

No packing light video recommendations, PLEASE!

Thanks.

We have ALL KINDS of wedding stuff to bring with us... I had no problems staying under the 200 pounds but the two bag rule JUST AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. Nobody really thinks they will give us any trouble, do you? Please say no or it's back to the drawing board (AHHHHHHHHH!).

No packing light video recommendations, PLEASE!

Thanks.

I can just imagine the stuff you'll have a for a wedding! I would be dumb-struck shocked if you had a problem, especially in the special circumstances.

after all the comments i think it's really just a "polite" way of keeping the "cases of (insert beverage)" off the ship.

right. wrong. or indifferent. every cruise line needs to turn a profit. clearly you can counter argue that one has the right to drink whatever they want. fair enough.

let's just say cruise lines folded to to lack of profit...where are we to vacation then?

and if there are other reasons such as "a lighter ship will be more fuel efficient"...then i guess that's fine also.

Edited by ZoneHPH

You aren't packing light if you can't pack enough clothes into two fifty pound bags each for a week or two cruise. Plus a carry on bag. There is always the ship's laundry service to consider. I rather pay the ship's laundry than pay the airlines much much more for checked in luggage.

I have visions of Lovey and Thurston Howell III...

"I don't know how we're going to explain to our friends that we spent several years with people who aren't even in the social register." - Lovey Howell

All of the cruiselines are notoriously slow to update their websites so if I received information directly from them (documents, emails, snail mail) that differs from what they state on their website, I would give more weight to the information I received directly. I'm not taking a position on whether or not these new restrictions are reasonable and while I do believe that 2 suitcases per person and 200 pounds pp should be sufficient for anything less than an extended cruise, I would consider the matter very seriously before I decided to challenge it at the port. If you feel it is an unfair or unreasonable restriction, contact the cruise line in advance, voice your objections and request their response. Ignoring what they tell you in your cruise documents and deciding to defy it might result in less than favorable consequences and who wants to start a cruise with a nasty confrontation.:)

I'm not taking a position on whether or not these new restrictions are reasonable and while I do believe that 2 suitcases per person and 200 pounds pp should be sufficient for anything less than an extended cruise, I would consider the matter very seriously before I decided to challenge it at the port.

FYI, the new rule limits you to 2 suitcases of no more than 50 lbs each...or a total of 100 lbs per person.

The old rule just had a 200 lb limit with no mention of number of pieces.

Not only does NCL want to restrict the weight of your luggage; they want to restrict the value of your luggage and their liability (unless you pay them an excess fee in advance :eek: ). This is from the e-docs:

The Guest and Carrier agree and stipulate that the aggregate value of all the Guest's baggage and any other property lawfully brought on board by the Guest does not exceed U.S. $100.00 and any liability of the Carrier or the vessel for any cause whatsoever with respect to said baggage shall not exceed such sum unless the Guest shall specify its true value, in writing, and pay to the Carrier before embarkation 5% of the excess of such value, in which case the Carrier's liability, if any, shall be limited to the actual damage sustained up to, but not exceeding such specified value.

• Administrators
after all the comments i think it's really just a "polite" way of keeping the "cases of (insert beverage)" off the ship.

right. wrong. or indifferent. every cruise line needs to turn a profit. clearly you can counter argue that one has the right to drink whatever they want. fair enough.

let's just say cruise lines folded to to lack of profit...where are we to vacation then?

and if there are other reasons such as "a lighter ship will be more fuel efficient"...then i guess that's fine also.

NCL just switched to Pepsi products. I wouldn't make a "book or no book decision" based on that fact, since NCL has always permitted folks to bring on reasonable amounts of soft drinks, and I figured I'd be safe. I do think, however, with the type of comment the OP is reporting, that if NCL becomes as stringent about soft drinks and water as they are about alcohol I may have to find a new favorite cruiseline.

Excessive alcohol consumption isn't just a revenue issue for the cruiseline -- it can be a safety issue for everyone onboard, so I understand (and abide by) that policy. I order a bar set up and then get beer helmets and occasional mixed drinks throughout the ship. But trying to keep folks from bringing aboard a few cans of soft drinks or bottles of water most certainly IS a straight-up revenue decision, and it may well cost NCL far more than they think they would generate in profits.

I bring aboard a 12 pack of diet Coke so I can have it in the cabin in the mornings and evenings (not a coffee drinker here -- so the coffee machine is just a paperweight for me). I wouldn't be purchasing ship soft drinks at meals or on deck in any event -- that's when we purchase alcohol! :D

But if I knew that I'd be on a ship for a week with my only soft drink choice being a product I consider inferior (diet Pepsi), in a fountain version (usually flat as a fritter), which I would have to get dressed and go out to find at 6 or 7 AM -- I seriously would have to look for other cruise options. I'll be curious to see how this develops.

I seriously doubt the porters at the Port of Miami are going to be grabbing your luggage and weighing it. That's the only place they could weigh luggage and police the whole process. It's not like you check in with your luggage. I doubt this rule will ever be enforced.

The bags gets put on a conveyer on its way to the xray machine and it is there that I would weigh the bag just like some supermaket scanners are also the scale.They kick your bag for booze,now they can kick it for weight,make you claim it and then charge you.

Steve

Since I am a scuba diver and cruise specifically to go diving in numerous ports on a 7 day cruise, I do have an issue with the policy. My scuba gear alone will take up one suitcase and is usually over 50 pounds. So now my DH and I are limited to one suitcase each for our clothes. Renting our gear is not an option since I don't trust the dive operators to have gear that is as well taken care of as mine. On the plus side, at least formal night is optional and I can always leave that stuff at home.

MichellP - DH and I have brought Pepsi on board NCL ships for at least the past 7 years (if not more) and on our 4/12 cruise we brought on a 12 pack of bottles and an 8 pack of Pepsi. We went through with no problem at all (only to find that that very day the Pearl made the switch from Coke to Pepsi). If they let us Pepsi drinkers bring our beverage of choice onboard, I cannot imagine that they will give those pax who will now bring their Coke onboard a hard time - wouldn't be very fair wouldl it?

• Administrators
MichellP - DH and I have brought Pepsi on board NCL ships for at least the past 7 years (if not more) and on our 4/12 cruise we brought on a 12 pack of bottles and an 8 pack of Pepsi. We went through with no problem at all (only to find that that very day the Pearl made the switch from Coke to Pepsi). If they let us Pepsi drinkers bring our beverage of choice onboard, I cannot imagine that they will give those pax who will now bring their Coke onboard a hard time - wouldn't be very fair wouldl it?

That's my thinking, so I'll be watching with interest.

No mine says two bags period.

It may say that, but the OP reported that an NCL customer service supervisor said they are allowing one carry on and essentially bringing their rules in line with the airlines.

Not allowing a carry on in addition doesn't pass the common sense "sniff test". Your checked luggage is taken by a porter before you enter the terminal screening area. When you go through the screening area, how will they know whether you've given one bag to the porter (which would allow you to bring a carry on) or two (which would prohibit you from bringing a carry on aboard), or for that matter if you didn't give any bags to the porter?

If I were a gambling man (and what horseman isn't? ;)) I'd wager that the wording in the Welcome Aboard booklet is just poorly crafted.

Edited by njhorseman

Could anybody scan the verbiage in the "welcome aboard' packet? I am fairly concerned about this whole thing... we have garments bags, decorations, goodie bags, all kinds of stuff for the wedding...

I'd certainly appreciate anybody taking the time out to scan and post.

Thanks.

I know some will disagree but I stand by my statement that no one should ever need to pack more than 100 pounds of stuff for a week-long cruise.
I wouldn't.

In fact, most people who bring as much as 100 lb of stuff for a week-long cruise have got at least twice as much as they need.

The smart thing to do would be to follow the airlines and say no soda or water so they can charge you $2 a can or bottle.

Steve

I don't have a scanner so I am typing it verbatim out of the book.

How many suitcases can I bring?

Each guest is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds. However, if you are travelling by air, ask the airline if they have differrent restrictions.

Each guest is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds. However, if you are travelling by air, ask the airline if they have differrent restrictions.

Oh oh.

Hopefully recent cruisers who did not watch and learn from the 'pack light' video :rolleyes: will post what happend to them.

Sniff-test: what would NCL do? Make you leave the extra bags on the pier? Have a yard sale? Charge extra for them? Anybody looking for a wedding dress - size six - in a beautuful new garment bag?

I am trying to avoid over packing. in fact one of the reasons we chose NCL was because we don't have to pack dressy clothes. Normally when I go to the Caribbean we pack lots of bathing suits and cover ups. I was planning to take only one bathing suit and no cover-up but my husband wants us to get a Spa package which means we will be spending most of our time taking in the views from an indoor pool/ lounge chair. Any idea as to how many bathing suits I will need. Will I need a cover-up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by boaterette

Each guest is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds. However, if you are travelling by air, ask the airline if they have differrent restrictions. Airlines and NCL have limited liability for loss, so be sure all baggage and personal belongings are properly insured. Suitcases should be securely tagged with your name, address and a contact number. And remember, it's always a good idea to hand carry important documents, medications, jewelery or other valuables.

maggiecatenjay

Oh oh.

Hopefully recent cruisers who did not watch and learn from the 'pack light' video will post what happend to them.

Sniff-test: what would NCL do? Make you leave the extra bags on the pier? Have a yard sale? Charge extra for them? Anybody looking for a wedding dress - size six - in a beautuful new garment bag?

I would certainly think a wedding dress would count as "valuable". I doubt your "wedding party" will be held to the newly published restrictions.__________________