First cruise - inside cabin, deck 3, should I try to upgrade?

NHcopwife

My husband and I are going on our first cruise this June (RCI, Enchantment of the Seas) for 5 nights, Western Caribbean.

We got an inside statesroom on deck 3, 3881. It is in the middle of the ship, which I think is a good thing. I am just worried about being on a lower deck level.

Should I try to upgrade? We can't really afford a balcony but we might be able to get an inside statesroom on a higher deck (8) for about $40 more.

Since this is our first time I didn't know how much of a difference it would make on the different decks. I was afraid that level 8 might be too busy/noisy.

Any advice? Can you ask for any available upgrades once the date becomes closer? not sure how that works.

And can someone tell me what AFT means?

When you're in an inside cabin, it really doesn't matter much. You will experience less motion on a lower deck and midships. The upper decks aren't any noisier than anywhere else--they're simply more convenient, since you rarely have to use elevators to go back and forth to the pool, windjammer, etc...

If you want the convenience of a higher deck (and $40 isn't much!), then go for it. If you want to save that money, then keep what you have---it'll be fine.

Aft is the direction going toward the STERN of the ship which is the back Forward is the direction going toward the BOW of the ship which is the front when people speak of aft cabins they usually are incorrectly referring to cabins on the STERN since in fact any cabin in the back 1/3 of the ship would be an aft cabin. followed by the Midship and then the FORE or Forward.

They put FORE or AFT on your luggage tags to tell the handlers which elevator bank to use to deliver your luggage. Oh PORT is the LEFT [4 letters port 4 letters Left] the Right side is the Starboard side assuming you are facing the BOW.

Archived