Soft sided rolling cooler

TXCruiseJunkie

I would follow Firefly's advice. The only risk of confiscation is at the security screening at embarkation. If you pack it in a suitcase, (perhaps with some beverages) and send it with your checked luggage, you will be fine. The crew on board the ship could care less what you smuggle on board in the beverage department.

We also have one that rolls with an extended handle like luggage, but it is collapsable. When it is collapsed it is about 6"X14"X12". Do you thank that will be ok? It actually looks like a softside canvas suitcase and when collapsed looks like a computer case. I hope we will be ok we leave on Sunday and I have no time to make an alternate plan.

The ship doesn't care that you wheel a cooler off or that you had it on board. Only the security staff in the terminal care. they are instructed to prevent passengers from bringing them on board. Once you are by them, no one cares, not even the same security people when you return.

Per the carnival website, coolers are allowed if no larger than 12x12x12. The one I bought is a little bigger than that - how strict is Carnival on this rule? If it's too big - do they just confiscate it? Thanks for any advise !

Yes, they are strict....and you will not be permitted to take it onboard.

Our rolling cooler is slightly larger than the 12x12x12.

4 cruises and we have yet to have a problem.

We just pack some shoes and odd items in it and check it with the luggage. (we put our drinks, double ziploc'ed in our other luggage)

Then when it arrives in the cabin, we unpack and ask the steward to fill it for us and keep it full all week.

Never been a problem thus far.

Bill

We were worried about the size of our soft sided cooler because one dimension was 14", so we filled it with water bottles and pop and then checked it with the rest of our luggage. It actually worked out better because we didn't have to lug it around with us until we could get in our rooms. It just looks like another piece of luggage because when it isn't on the cart it is more like a tote bag.

The reason for the restriction is that it will not fit into the security scanner. My son just cruised out of Galveston and rolled on one of these coolers that was 2" too large--it would not fit into the scanner. Security finally checked it by hand and allowed them to take it on--contents were all legal. I would think if you slapped a luggage tag on the cooler and checked it with your luggage you would have no problem.

Archived