Mexico/swine flu discussions (merged)

coxswain

Just confirmed two cases in Scotland gatting a bit scary .

Two men now in Hospital

Scotslizzy

Do you realize how many people are sick in any given country on any given day? Two people out of how many millions in Scotland? The media is hyping this to the hilt!!!

I'm on a Mexican Riviera Cruise in July and am wondering the same thing. With all the ports being in Mexico, it might be difficult. Maybe they will switch us to Alaska or more North, although not really what I planned on, a cool vacation is better than no vacation at all. My guess is, that if they had to change all the ports on a cruise, you might be able to get your money back to use on a differenet cruise but not sure what I would do with my air fare. Oh, well, there are tons of other things to worry about right now. I will wait and see what happens, oh and I have insurance so I should be covered.

TD

Alaska is too far and the most north they will go is to a foreign port which would be Vancouver or Victoria. I imagine the ports would be Catalina, San Francisco, Seattle and a foreign port of Canada. It takes 10 days from San Fran for an Alaska cruise so we are thinking seriously of just changing while we are still within deposit penalty plus we do have insurance of cancel for anything. We have no interest in seeing ports where we live already while paying the same price on the cruise.

Please tell me where you heard this? We travel the week after you. Thanks!

I'm on the May 31st departure to Mexico and we have heard that they could change the ports to Catalina, San Francisco, Seattle or possibly Victoria Canada. I'm really hoping this will be cleared up by the end of May though. I was hoping for a warm vacation. :cool:

We have 5 cases that I know of less than 7 miles up the interstate. 2 high school kids in Schertz and on this morning's CBS morning show they interviewed a family in Cibolo where the dad and two young kids were sick. The dad (wearing a mask) said he had typical flu symptoms - body aches, fever, etc.

I figure I have just as great a chance of catching this here at home as I do anywhere else.

We're scheduled for the Mexican Riviera on May 24. I know RCCL won't see this thread in here, but if by chance someone does see it - I would love the chance to reschedule my cruise, rather than go to alternate ports along the West Coast. We chose this cruise for the itinerary, since we'd never been there.

I don't even want to think what we'll be out on plane tickets ($100 or $150 cancellation/change fee?) and hotel room (Priceline - no refunds?)

I think we can cancel and get a refund on our Super Shuttle pre-paid reservations.

We're on the Mariner this Sunday and while I am concerned about the Swine Flu Outbreak, I am going to take a light hearted moment here and say, "San Francisco?!?? Really?" Oy! If RC/Captain Per decides against Mexico and instead substitute other ports, the kicker is that we live in San Francisco. We actually only live about a mile walking distance from the Port of SF. Thus I joked with the DH that we could quickly run some laundry home and lessen the checked baggage on the return flight home!! And believe me, it will be packing a sweater instead of the bikinis that I have been working hard to get in-shape for since January. All that daily workout will be for naught, because local weather is much cooler then if we were Mexican Riviera-bound. Sigh!!

Do you realize how many people are sick in any given country on any given day? Two people out of how many millions in Scotland? The media is hyping this to the hilt!!!

People should not be scared but they should certainly be aware and try and avoid situations where they could be exposed to the virus. More people died from a similar strain of flu after the Great War than died during the fighting - about 12 million, if my memory serves me correctly. This was the last great pandemic. However, the difference is that we now have antibiotics which successfully treat the symptoms of influenza and I think most of the confirmed cases outside of Mexico have very mild symptoms in any case.

Please tell me where you heard this? We travel the week after you. Thanks!

My friends who are going on the cruise with us called RCL and were told they will not cancel the cruise, but change ports if needed and gave those examples of the possible ports. Nothing is set in stone though, we are still 5 weeks away.

However, the difference is that we now have antibiotics which successfully treat the symptoms of influenza and I think most of the confirmed cases outside of Mexico have very mild symptoms in any case.

Antibiotics treat bacterial infections; they do not do anything to treat a virus. The flu is a virus. There are antiviral medications to treat the flu such as Tamiflu.

I wonder if using emergency authority, the govt. could waive the requirements of the Passenger Vehicle Services Act --the law that specifies that foreign flagged carriers must call on at least one foreign port if they depart and return from the US. Then, Mariner could call on an all US port itinerary.

Antibiotics treat bacterial infections; they do not do anything to treat a virus. The flu is a virus. There are antiviral medications to treat the flu such as Tamiflu.

But antibiotics treat secondary infections such as Pneumonia, which is what - I believe - most people who die of the flu, die from

People should not be scared but they should certainly be aware and try and avoid situations where they could be exposed to the virus. More people died from a similar strain of flu after the Great War than died during the fighting - about 12 million, if my memory serves me correctly. This was the last great pandemic. However, the difference is that we now have antibiotics which successfully treat the symptoms of influenza and I think most of the confirmed cases outside of Mexico have very mild symptoms in any case.

Better estimates are 20-40 million people dead of Spanish Influenza.

As stated, antibiotics do not treat viruses.

Thanks Angela! We were really looking forward to visiting those Mexican ports. As a Californian, Catalina, San Fran, & San Diego (although beautiful) just don't excite us, as we have been there many times. Seattle is not tropical enough. ;) LOL Victoria B.C. would be good, as I have a relative that lives there, that I have not seen in 3 years. That would be nice but the visit too short.

Well lets just hope that the Mariner will still travel to Mexico and we will all enjoy our long awaited vacations. :D

My friends who are going on the cruise with us called RCL and were told they will not cancel the cruise, but change ports if needed and gave those examples of the possible ports. Nothing is set in stone though, we are still 5 weeks away.

I wonder if using emergency authority, the govt. could waive the requirements of the Passenger Vehicle Services Act --the law that specifies that foreign flagged carriers must call on at least one foreign port if they depart and return from the US. Then, Mariner could call on an all US port itinerary.

yes they can. Its prosecutorial discretion not to fine the cruise line...administered by the Coast Guard BTW

1600 people sick in Mexico city over 22 million in the metro area that works out to .0072%!!!!!!!! Might be better odds to win the lottery

149 people have died. This is an extremely high death rate for this illness. I wasn't around but the influenza of 1918-19 killed millions. That is why they are so worried

http://1918.pandemicflu.gov/the_pandemic/index.htm

I don't think they are going to cancel any cruise unless the crew is sick. They don't even do that for a hurricane. They will change the route even if it's just days at sea.

But antibiotics treat secondary infections such as Pneumonia, which is what - I believe - most people who die of the flu, die from

Ahhh, but is it bacterial pneumonia or viral pneumonia?

Both do exist. Pneumonia just designates an infection in the lungs and it could be from a bacteria or a virus and both can be deadly but if its viral pneumonia, antibiotics have no use in treatment.

Archived