New to HA, a few questions...Baltic

...for those of you kind and tolerant enough to read this whole post! We're independent travelers and in our mid 30's. Picked HAL for Eurodam 'Gems of the Baltic' cruise July 12th. I'm a bit apprehensive about cruising as generally we do like to travel independently so I avoid crowds, but, well, seemed like a great itinerary.

few questions:

1. I'd like to book a dinner reservation at Tamarind. From what I've been hearing, it's uber-popular. But I also would hate to miss a formal night (been saving up for a few dresses now); how would I know what the formal nights are in advance so that I can go ahead and get to the Tamarind to make a reservation that first day when I board? Hate to accidentally book Tamarind for a formal night and miss out on the Main dining excitement. When and where will this schedule be available?

Also, what would you prioritize in terms of demand--in terms of 'trying to get reservations for these experiences' the first day? Here's what we're interested in:

Tamarind, Culinary arts center, and Spa services on a sea (nonport) day.

I'm trying to figure out how to try to get all three of these experiences, but I'm pretty sure I'll be waitlisted for at least one, with a ship of this size. However, I hate to be shut out of all 3. I kind of am of the opinion that I've paid enough for this experience that I should get EXACTLY what I want. But that's another topic, right?:rolleyes: Are these all made at the various venues (eg. spa reservations at the spa, Tamarind at the Tamarind, etc.) so you have to criss-cross the ship to get this done?

2. I'm unclear; if the boat is, say, in Berlin, one night, does it stay there only until 5 pm and you must be back on ship 90 minutes before then to re-embark? Or just back by 5 pm? Or is it there overnight and you can get in later?

3. We're pretty sure that Kiel isn't for us. Seems a bit uninteresting. What would you pick between Hamburg and Lubeck in terms of a day trip? We're big art and architecture aficionados and generally skip historical museums. I'm torn. Is one more of a 'must-see' than the other, in your opinion?

4. We were originally waitlisted for main dining, late seating and our TA told us she was able to clear us for the main dining room late seating option. Will we be able to confirm this before boarding? What time is later seating on the Eurodam Baltic cruises?

1. I'd like to book a dinner reservation at Tamarind. From what I've been hearing, it's uber-popular. But I also would hate to miss a formal night (been saving up for a few dresses now); how would I know what the formal nights are in advance so that I can go ahead and get to the Tamarind to make a reservation that first day when I board? Hate to accidentally book Tamarind for a formal night and miss out on the Main dining excitement. When and where will this schedule be available?

The list of formal nights will be available with whomever is taking your Tamarind reservation.

Also, what would you prioritize in terms of demand--in terms of 'trying to get reservations for these experiences' the first day? Here's what we're interested in:

Tamarind, Culinary arts center, and Spa services on a sea (nonport) day.

Since you used the pronoun "we", I'm guessing there's two of you? Have one go to the Tamarind while the other books the cooking. Whoever is done first (or cares more) then goes to the spa to book.

Are these all made at the various venues (eg. spa reservations at the spa, Tamarind at the Tamarind, etc.) so you have to criss-cross the ship to get this done?

When you board you'll probably be directed to the Lido. It's possible there will be someone there to take Tamarind reservations. If so, book that, then one heads to the cooking while the other goes to the spa (which is not far from the Lido restaurant).

2. I'm unclear; if the boat is, say, in Berlin, one night, does it stay there only until 5 pm and you must be back on ship 90 minutes before then to re-embark? Or just back by 5 pm? Or is it there overnight and you can get in later?

The Berlin night is a late sailing. Sometime after 10:00, IIRC. There will be scores of people returning from Berlin on the train. Sailaway is after the train comes in (it's just across from the ship).

4. We were originally waitlisted for main dining, late seating and our TA told us she was able to clear us for the main dining room late seating option. Will we be able to confirm this before boarding? What time is later seating on the Eurodam Baltic cruises?

If you've cleared the waitlist for late seating, you will dine at 8:00. When you check in you will get your cabin/purchase card. Dining time should be on that, along with table number.

I'd still love to hear what people think about Hamburg vs. Lubeck but this may be a personal preference sort of question.:confused:

Try asking this on the Northern Europe & Baltics Forum. If you direct your question to poster Heinbloed, you should get a wonderfully detailed response! :cool::cool:

IMHO, Hamburg is a big city. Interesting aspects, but a big city non the less.

Lubeck - I found facinating, just to walk around the old city part was worth the visit for me. I would be happy just to walk around the old section, but if you want to learn about it as well a guide will be worth it. (When I went to Lubeck the ship docked in another port and we went by bus to Lubeck.)

So, for me there is no choice - Lubeck wins hands down. Others may have a different opinion.

A quick note about return times and sailing times.

If the schedule says that the ship will sail at 5pm, the return time will be no later than 4:30. At 5pm, the ship should be underway, so 4:30 is when they reserve the right to close the door and stop readmitting people on board.

If you are in a tender port, the return time is generally an extra 30 minutes (for a total of one hour) before sailing time.

As they once said at the first night show, be sure to take your camera ashore with you. Because if you miss the return time, you will be able to take a beautiful picture of the ship sailing away without you!

Oh, and by the way, the Eurodam does not sail to Berlin. She sails to a coastal port that is a few hours train ride away from Berlin. Berlin is an inland city. Yes, I know the printed itinerary says "Berlin" on it, but that is marketing for you!

I did a lot of internet research on trips into Berlin from Wernamunde(sic) and found companies that would do it cheaper than HAL and you could also do it on your own by booking your own train. Now the real problem arises when something happens when traveling back. If you are on a HAL tour with problems they just call the ship and it waits for them. If you have a problem you might spend thousands of dollars flying to Estonia or St. Petersburg even if they would let you fly in without a Visa.:)

You should join the roll call for your sailing and as mentioned, you should also look at the CC message area targeted at Northern Europe/Baltic.

The Eurodam only "over nights" in St.Petersburg on your cruise - all other nights you will leave port and sail to the next location.

Often, formal nights are on the "sea days" however this itinerary is port intensive and I'm not certain that will hold true.

We'll be doing this itinerary on 22 JUN (as long as the world isn't under a swine flu pandemic lock-down by then but let's be optimistic shall we).

Archived