what's with all the...

sixgun8

whining and complaining about the cruises lately. I mean, I've been on one cruise and we had a wonderful time, but to be honest, we just feel so lucky that we can actually afford to cruise(even though we pinch, scrimp and save to do so) when so many are just fighting to keep their head above water. It's a luxury, not a right to go on a cruise to begin with, so basically either stay home and enjoy your life there or just relax and calm down and enjoy your cruise instead of complaining about the miniscule amounts of things that went wrong.

There seems to be an ebb and flow to the complaining....kind of like threads about supper clubs, or gratuities, or smoking, or kids in the hot tub. They come and go. ;).

Take it with a grain of salt. There will be 1000 happy cruisers for every whiner.

There seems to be an ebb and flow to the complaining....kind of like threads about supper clubs, or gratuities, or smoking, or kids in the hot tub. They come and go. ;).

Take it with a grain of salt. There will be 1000 happy cruisers for every whiner.

I agree it does ebb and flow, it just seems there are so many lately. I almost get the idea that some of the complainers are either just here to anti-market or just push buttons.

whining and complaining about the cruises lately. I mean, I've been on one cruise and we had a wonderful time, but to be honest, we just feel so lucky that we can actually afford to cruise(even though we pinch, scrimp and save to do so) when so many are just fighting to keep their head above water. It's a luxury, not a right to go on a cruise to begin with, so basically either stay home and enjoy your life there or just relax and calm down and enjoy your cruise instead of complaining about the miniscule amounts of things that went wrong.

Agreed :)

:DUmmm I suppose this would not be the place to complain about the swine virus!

I know one thing for sure! cruising is indeed a privilege! However I want quantify a simple fact. I sailed on the glory at the end of March last year. my state room was 2444 and i paid 730.00pp or it. This year, i will sail at the end of may on the valor cabin 8380 for 699 for 1 and 2 and 359 for the third! I acknowledge the fact that I am lucky to still have a job, but with this economic downturn, cruising has become on hell of lot cheaper!

Amen SIXGUN8! We just got back from a March Freedom cruise and we really have nothing to complain about. As for any cuts, they were minor and certainly had no major effect on the cruise.

We just booked our 8 day cruise for March, 2010 and it was $146 cheaper (total for 2 cruisers) and we may even have a net $100 ship credit to boot (Voucher program - you pay $100 for a cruise and they give you a $200 ship credit). In addition, we have an assigned mid ships cabin versus a guarantee cabin on the previous cruise. Keep it up Carnival! These are the kind of cuts I like.

Those that have been cruising awhile have seen it decline more for sure; but I think that is understandable considering the market/economy. Therefore, there is no use complaining about it unless you are going to speak with your wallet.

I think the OP of the Thread about Carnival becoming like an airline hit it best and he is right: I can book a flight from here RT to the same destination I did 20 years ago for the same base price. The airlines did this by cutting perks and expenses and adding some fees for those who want to pay them. The cruise lines are no different as they are trying to keep the base fare at a competitive level. Not all cruiselines are doing this, so if some want the same things, then they just have to switch cruiselines and pay more for the basic fare.

Capitalism and Free Market Economy working just like it should.....

Those that have been cruising awhile have seen it decline more for sure; but I think that is understandable considering the market/economy.

:D From my point of view, and to borrow a line from the matrix, ignorance is bliss!. I have no point of reference of how service used to be, i remember vividly how impressed I was walking away from the glory. I have day dreamed almost obsessively about my next cruise. I guess what i am saying is that for 7 days, i am not going to have to cook, clean, or daydream about my next cruise!:o And not knowing what it used to be is not as bad as not knowing what it is.

Hey the complaints are great entertainment, lol. Seriously, you're gonna see this on the other lines too. This will be my first time on Carnival. Same complaints can be found on RCC, although I was only on them once and I had no complaints, except having to leave at the end of the cruise. I look at the complaints on the offchance it could be something that really is just something the cruiser wasn't aware of so that I learn something for my cruising.

We're crusing in 22 days and are so excited! We're not looking to be overly critical - Unless our OV room magically converts to a room with bunkbeds (which we could technically squeeze into, given our experience with the twin XL beds in college ;)) or they start charging a la carte for meals (I'd be annoyed!), I expect that we will have a wonderful time

we pinch, scrimp and save to do so

So do many other people. I believe that's why, when their current cruise doesn't measure up to their last cruise, people are disappointed. IMHO, rightfully so.

If someone has cruised a number of times, and is used to a certain level of service or a certain number of amenities, they have every right to be disappointed if they don't receive those same things on their next cruise.

I'm amazed that so many people are so willing to just accept whatever changes the cruise lines throw at them with a smile and an "oh well". Case in point, last year's fuel surcharge. The way the cruise lines tried to add it after the fact was just plain crappy. Thankfully, there were enough people who raised a fuss that it was rescinded for most (all?) folks who had already booked. Mind you, I have no problem paying for something I'm aware of upfront, but the way they went about it was underhanded.

I love cruising. I'd do it every month if I could. However, I'm watching things closely and will learn to love an all inclusive land vacation if I have to. I'm aware that cruise lines need to watch their bottom line. I know they need to make money. However, when their bottom line infringes on mine, then I take my money elsewhere.

As always, YMMV

I truly do believe that some of it comes from the "old timers" (not in age, but cruise experience). I started sailing in 1984 and service, food, and the way you were literally treated like a queen (or king :D) has changed as they have given the employees more and more rooms, tables, etc. I've not had a bad cruise experience per se, I just love being on the water, but it definitely has a different feel to it than years ago.

And then, some people just like to complain.

It's a luxury, not a right to go on a cruise to begin with, so basically either stay home and enjoy your life there or just relax and calm down and enjoy your cruise instead of complaining about the miniscule amounts of things that went wrong.

Well said, Six! :) I think that people who whine and complain about little things going wrong, etc. on a cruise probably whine and complain in "real life" too!:rolleyes: Some people just look for something to go wrong...all the time!:rolleyes: Not that people shouldn't be upset at major issues that come up...I've been on 8 cruises now, and I have truly enjoyed everyone of them! Was everything perfect? Of course not...but WHAT in life IS???:confused:

No complaints from me either. I usually pay over 700 pp for a 7 night cruise inside cabin.

Our upcoming one is running 570 pp with 100 OBC oceanview. Travel agent has already got us 2 price drops.

As long as I'm on the boat....that will be all that matters.

Then I guess I wont whine because I do have another cruise planned..3 more this year and one next April. woohoo!!!!

:D

I take my response back. I'm gonna whine because I only have 1 cruise planned.

OK, in reality, I'm jealous.

OK whine over.

I couldn't be more delighted....we're paying $2675 for a balcony cabin on the 11th deck on the upcoming Spirit 12-day repo and paid the same amount for the 7-day Bermuda cruise last year. Granted, repo's are cheaper, but this was a steal!

Have never had a bad cruise. I started cruising in the late 80's and clearly remember feeling like a queen....from the dining room experience to the pool lounge-chair attendants bringing out and placing you chair for you by the pool. Remember them? That soooo trumped fighting for a chair or moving someone's flipflops :eek:.

Seriously, it's all good.

This thread is a whine itself.

Hmmm. Whining about whining! Interesting observation. It's all in the perspective. Some people don't know how to handle negatives in their lives.

Let's don't forget either that recognizing and discussing negatives can create positive change. Everything has positives and negatives, including cruising. Brainstorming about the negatives can offer great alternatives and positive change. Just ask any successful leader. And cruise critic members often offer great solutions. I've learned so many things here about cruising, and many of the tips or recommendations have come about by someone posting an obstacle or problem they've encountered cruising. Example: cruisers "whine" about the lack of electrical outlets in cruise cabins. Cruise critic members suggest packing a power strip.

Hmmm. Whining about whining! Interesting observation. It's all in the perspective. Some people don't know how to handle negatives in their lives.

Let's don't forget either that recognizing and discussing negatives can create positive change. Everything has positives and negatives, including cruising. Brainstorming about the negatives can offer great alternatives and positive change. Just ask any successful leader. And cruise critic members often offer great solutions. I've learned so many things here about cruising, and many of the tips or recommendations have come about by someone posting an obstacle or problem they've encountered cruising. Example: cruisers "whine" about the lack of electrical outlets in cruise cabins. Cruise critic members suggest packing a power strip.

Very well put, Winddawn.

Judging by your tag line, I'm guessing you are a Mother with very polite children.

Very well put, Winddawn.

Judging by your tag line, I'm guessing you are a Mother with very polite children.

Thanks for the kind words, Trplnckl. I think one of the greatest gifts we can give our children is to teach them how to deal with disappointment. Disappointment is a fact of life. If we can teach our kids how to turn a negative into a positive, they will be happier, well-rounded adults, uh--cruisers. :-)

Archived