Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

Well..... this may turn out to be the most interesting cruise yet....

We know we are not going to Mexico.... been there, done that.

Grand Caymen, I can take or leave.. last cruise, we stayed onboard during it.

Where we go.... I don;t really care.

I am going to have another awesome vacation... we are celebrating my inlaws 50th anniversary onboard this ship, and a 5 day CTN would be just fine with me.

countdown.pl?name=&date=5-4-2009ℑ=Beach-8&text=&ship=Carnival Inspiration

Bill since Holiday runs the same schedule as the Fantasy will it also go to Key West? If you hear of any great bargains on the Holiday or Fantasy either please let me know!!

We will know more tomorrow.

I imagine there will tons of last minute bargains out there - especially if the cruises end up 4 and 5 day cruises to nowhere.

I'm not sure there are any port options for the 4 day other than Havana. ;)

I was specifically talking about people who have no symptoms. If they are sneezing etc. then they have symptoms.

Once they have symptoms, then they will have the fever as well....

So you are saying whoever sneezes will get a fever:rolleyes: What about people like me who sneeze because of allergies? People sneeze all the the time for many differant reasons. It doesn't mean they are sick or going to be sick.:rolleyes:

I was specifically talking about people who have no symptoms. If they are sneezing etc. then they have symptoms.

Once they have symptoms, then they will have the fever as well....

I dont know why then folks are being warned not to be out in crowds. They are still saying they dont really know for sure how this is being transmitted. We have some with this flu who here in Dallas who they cant trace back to Mexico.

Saying being in close proximity to someone isnt dangerous, to me is dangerous thinking. We all need to watch it, no matter where we are. We are up to 6 cases here in Dallas.

I dont know why then folks are being warned not to be out in crowds. They are still saying they dont really know for sure how this is being transmitted. We have some with this flu who here in Dallas who they cant trace back to Mexico.

Saying being in close proximity to someone isnt dangerous, to me is dangerous thinking. We all need to watch it, no matter where we are. We are up to 6 cases here in Dallas.

Taking reasonable steps as you have advocated makes eminent sense. Please tell me why Cozumel, which has no reported cases should be quarantined while people from the metroplex can board a flight from Love field or DFW and hop on a ship?

My favorite is diverting people from Cabo and Ensenda with no confirmed cases of swine flu and instead sending them to San Diego which has 4 confirmed cases. I'm no doctor, but if you're trying to avoid your passengers from getting the flu, wouldn't you avoid places that have confirmed outbreaks, such as San Diego? Then again I'm just bitter because they cancelled my cozumel trip next week :(

I see it the same way. The cruise lines seem more concerned with appearing to be cautious. God forbid someone were to get sick on a cruise that went to Mexico. Reading the complaints that are posted here every hurricane season are enough to understand the calculus; damned if we do, less damned if we don't.

My favorite is diverting people from Cabo and Ensenda with no confirmed cases of swine flu and instead sending them to San Diego which has 4 confirmed cases. I'm no doctor, but if you're trying to avoid your passengers from getting the flu, wouldn't you avoid places that have confirmed outbreaks, such as San Diego? Then again I'm just bitter because they cancelled my cozumel trip next week :(

Does Californai now have a confirmed case of this?

The CDC website at the 9 pm update does not list California as a state with it.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

State # of laboratory

confirmed cases California 10 cases Kansas 2 cases New York City 45 cases Ohio 1 case Texas 6 cases TOTAL COUNT 64 cases

This is an excellent question. I read/heard somewhere today that the PVSA restrictions could potentially be relaxed in light of these unusual circumstances, but I'm not entirely sure on that. We'll be doing some more digging tomorrow...

It isn't a crime. (it's a tort) It would under ordinary circumstances violate the PSA. The penalty would be a fine. Carnival may be willing for their own reasons to absorb the cost of the fine or Carnival may have been given relief due to the unusual circumstances. What can be said with some certitude is that such itineraries cannot become a regular event without a change in the law.

Hello, I am sailing on the Eleation for Ensenada on May 9th. I am assuming that we will probably not stop there. The paradise and changed its itinerary and is spending 2 days at sea instead, which is fine for me with such a short cruise, but I wander why they didnt just go to Catalina? The paradise 4 day does Catalina and Ensenada. I just wondered!

Another day at sea for us. I'd love to know when the policy changed about schedule changes. Suddenly, you can't cancel within 24 hours, now it's reschedule? I really would have paid for a 5 day cruise for two stops. If they would refund me the money for the 1 day, that would also be acceptable.

I realize I am in the minority but I commend the Cruiselines for taking the action they have. I realize we have 36K deaths per year from Flu. This one is different guys. This is the very start of this "novel" virus. There is just not enough info to know what it will do. Last Saturday we had 1 country with a few deaths and 2 States with 6 cases. Today we have 159 deaths and cases in 6 countries and 9 States in the US with confirmed 40 cases. I expect cases, hospitalizations, and, sadly, deaths to possibly accelerate.. The reason the healthy immune systems are being affected the hardest is due to what is known as a cytokine storm where the immune cells basically "flood" the body and cause severe damage. I don't expect this to be over very soon and I am not the panicky type. I love cruising as much as anyone but the last place I would want to be now is on a floating petri dish. I do wish anyone on their cruise nothing but a happy safe trip. I would hope this pending crisis is stopped sooner than later but it is just too early to tell.

This is an excellent question. I read/heard somewhere today that the PVSA restrictions could potentially be relaxed in light of these unusual circumstances, but I'm not entirely sure on that. We'll be doing some more digging tomorrow...

A Princess agent today stated that the foreign port requirement was lifted for the duration of the flu epidemic.

I realize I am in the minority but I commend the Cruiselines for taking the action they have. I realize we have 36K deaths per year from Flu. This one is different guys. This is the very start of this "novel" virus. There is just not enough info to know what it will do. Last Saturday we had 1 country with a few deaths and 2 States with 6 cases. Today we have 159 deaths and cases in 6 countries and 9 States in the US with confirmed 40 cases. I expect cases, hospitalizations, and, sadly, deaths to possibly accelerate.. The reason the healthy immune systems are being affected the hardest is due to what is known as a cytokine storm where the immune cells basically "flood" the body and cause severe damage. I don't expect this to be over very soon and I am not the panicky type. I love cruising as much as anyone but the last place I would want to be now is on a floating petri dish. I do wish anyone on their cruise nothing but a happy safe trip. I would hope this pending crisis is stopped sooner than later but it is just too early to tell.

I share your concern and I think the vast majority of us here do also. It is the actions being taken that are suspect in my opinion. Mexico City has had a substantial number of confirmed cases yet flights from there are arriving at the airport a few miles from my house in steady succession. How does canceling ships sailing from here to Cozumel protect anyone when flights from the effected areas continue unabated? This rings more of public relations to me than meaningful amelioration.

Totally agree with you - and so does hubby...who is a health care professional...

With the health care as it is in Mexico...how do you actually KNOW for sure there are NO cases reported in the ports? You don't. We DO know that the country is the hotbed for the virus at this point. Do I think it will blow over? Yes. But not until it peaks...and we are nowhere NEAR that yet.

Finally!!! I totally agree with you. I am very impressed by how Carnival is handling this. Their web info is great. To bad for those of us who will miss out on some port but I would like to be safe.

I'm in San Diego and I can assure you it is business as usual around here (at this point). No closures of anything but one preschool that had a teacher suspected with it. I would rather stop here on a ship than Ensenada. San Diego is a bit "cleaner" if you will :D.

I share your concern and I think the vast majority of us here do also. It is the actions being taken that are suspect in my opinion. Mexico City has had a substantial number of confirmed cases yet flights from there are arriving at the airport a few miles from my house in steady succession. How does canceling ships sailing from here to Cozumel protect anyone when flights from the effected areas continue unabated? This rings more of public relations to me than meaningful amelioration.

Agree with this as well - 300 people get off a flight from Mexico in Michigan...and there you go.

Archived