First time to Alaska

Vancouver's wonderful.....almost hard to find a bad hotel and some great food.

The one recommendation I would make is to take an (expensive) excursion which does a helicopter ride up to the glacier and a dog sled ride on the glacier. The views are spectacular from the chopper...and seeing the dog sledding camp and riding on a dog sled are interesting and fun. It was the highlight of my alaska cruise (on princess).

Hi,

I haven't been on Alaska Cruise but have read many tour books. I also spend many hours reading Alaska and Canada board. You can check http://www.akrr.com/arrc18.html#2 for train schedule.

For Vancouver hotels, local experts (Putterdude, Urban trekker etc) recommand downtown area hotels ie. Delta, Sutton Place, Pan Pacific and Wedgewood etc.

I hope it's help you a little bit.:)

(lived here for 40 years, so a bit of an expert on the topic!)

Been to Alaska I think 3 times. You will have a great trip. Take warm hats and mittens for the kids on glacier days. It is quite chilly standing still with the wind off the ice. Of course, binoculars too.

There is an older hotel right on English Bay called the Sylvia. Its one of those Hollywood pink stucco places probably built in the 30's.

You'll be a $10 Cdn taxi fare from Ballantyne Docks. It's old, very tidey, lots of kids rooms, and rooms with refrigerators and little bits of kitchen facilities. Very reasonable. Right on the water...........a lovely short walk to Stanley Park.

No, I don't work for them, but always stay there. Right downtown city core Vancouver is a little seedy at night if you're about with children. The Sylvia is very family friendly.

I don't have their website: Sylvia Hotel.......I think it's on Beach Street. If you book earlier, your prices will be lower.;)

If you haven't already I suggest also reading the Alaska port section of Cruise Critic as both current and past messages there will give you tons of information on what you are seeking. Doing a search there on Vancouver hotels will bring up quite a few threads with recommendations. Also plenty of information about taking the train from Anchorage to Seward.

In addition, there's a couple members there that read most of those messages and have made many trips to Alaska over the years and have a lot of advice on tours, in addition to some members who live in Alaska and seem to regularly read those messages.

never been to Alaska need pro and cons on what to do,also we are using miles to get Anchorage and was going to use Alaska railraods to get to Seward has anybody done that before. Plus we are going to stay to nights in Vancouver wheres the best place to stay.

Thank you so much for your help.

Plenty to do and see in Anchorage there is a holiday inn within walking distance of train station. Train to Seward is nice trip we took it when we were there saw glaciers all kinds wildlife including bear. Enjoy Alaska it is well worth the time and money.

never been to Alaska need pro and cons on what to do,also we are using miles to get Anchorage and was going to use Alaska railraods to get to Seward has anybody done that before. Plus we are going to stay to nights in Vancouver wheres the best place to stay.

Thank you so much for your help.

Blue Horizon Hotel is also quite nice. Every room is a corner, and I believe all of them have balconies. Not far from the cruise docks either (walking distance, as long as you don't take your luggage with you :D). We'll be staying there before our cruise.

Never took the railroad, but it's gotten very good reviews. Just watch the schedule, as the trains don't run frequently every day.

Archived