4/26/09 Live from Carnival Splendor !!!

Wennfred

I would definitly stay aboard as the sea days are my favorite part of the cruise. Its too bad that people will participate in the group mentality and knee jerk reaction and be angry at Carnival over something thats nobodys fault. Why isn't anyone thanking Carnival for looking out for their health and safety? I'll bet none of the people who disembark will turn around and take a flight to Mexico. If they went to San Francisco they may discover that its an excellent tourist destination (in spite of the weather). There is so much to see and do within 5 miles of the dock, AT&T park (home of the Giants) is an awesome ballpark, Ft. Point is an historic garrison directly under the GG Bridge, The Palace of Fine Arts, Coit Tower, Fishermans Wharf, Pier 39, The Presidio, the list goes on and on. I would wager that two days in this port still wouldn't be enough to take in all the wonders of this diverse city. Oh well, I've always maintained that a cruise (or any vacation) is what you make it. An open mind and positive attitude will beat the crap out of this swine flu thing. Happy Cruising!!:cool:

San Francisco

Very interesting day for us here in San Fran, we were able to take a long walk in the rain to Pier 39, by the time we got there we were totally drenched. So the rain and the weather stole the whole San Fran experience from us, Oh well we will have to return on our own to fully enjoy San Fran.

Pier 39 has a Chocolate Heaven store where we were able to buy some chocolates. We took a few minutes to get out of the rain to eat some Pizza at a place called North Beach Pizza. The pizza there was ok, nothing to write home about but since we didnt have lunch, their pizza and pasta hit ths spot.

We got some of the typical San Fran T-Shirts and magnets there at Pier 39 and then walked all the way back in the rain. Wendy isn't a happy camper right now because I didn't get us a Cab, there were no Cabs to take.

During the long walk back we saw a few of those Electric trolleys, they look amazing, just like in the show "The Streets of San Francisco" it was one of my favorite detective t.v. series from back in the day.

My feet hurt, we are drying up now and will go down to get our usual Foo Foo drinks after we get up from taking our naps, no dinner for us tonight.

By the way, sorry about the mis-information about closing the borders, some clueless friend of Wendy's told us that on the phone.

Fred

The Medical Evac was about a Lady that slipped and fell, her shoulder is dislocated, this happen on Deck 10 outdoors, right after passing under the Golden Gate Bridge. Hope she is well.

2:40pm, We are still waiting to get off.

Fred

Wow Fred....my hubby and I saw people getting off right away so we headed to deck 1 and walked right off!!! We were wondering where everyone was?

You guys are right, this is going to be one of those wacky crazy cruises that we will never forget, It fell on Wendy's Birthday so I'm going to call it Wendy's Cruise to San Fran LOL.

We really didn't get to go anywhere but overall we are having a fun time. I wouldn't mind doing a cruise to nowhere again.

From looking at the Webcam, the rain is really coming down now.

Fred

I'm so sorry Fred...being from Seattle, I always pack an umbrella. Even Mexico and the Caribbean have thunderstorms. Might be one of those things to add to the "pack list" that numerous posters always ask about.

Wow Fred....my hubby and I saw people getting off right away so we headed to deck 1 and walked right off!!! We were wondering where everyone was?

Everyone was waiting in their cabins like we were and waiting for the announcement, they finally called it around 3pm.

Fred

Everyone was waiting in their cabins like we were and waiting for the announcement, they finally called it around 3pm.

Fred

No reported flu cases on the Mariner. Yes, the weather is nasty and I did hear from a couple that they were planning on leaving the ship because they live just accross the bay. Can not speak of how many more to follow but it looks like a good majority plan on continuing this once in a lifetime adventure. My DH & I stayed on the ship because we too live in the bay area. So, we pampered ourselves to a massage. This cruise beats going back to work ;).

Stay warm & safe travels :)

Fred

We were at the bar on deck 3 and the staff said to go on down so we did. We never heard an announcement on the loud speaker...which I thought was strange but we just followed the heard off the ship.

San Francisco

Very interesting day for us here in San Fran, we were able to take a long walk in the rain to Pier 39, by the time we got there we were totally drenched. So the rain and the weather stole the whole San Fran experience from us, Oh well we will have to return on our own to fully enjoy San Fran.

Pier 39 has a Chocolate Heaven store where we were able to buy some chocolates. We took a few minutes to get out of the rain to eat some Pizza at a place called North Beach Pizza. The pizza there was ok, nothing to write home about but since we didnt have lunch, their pizza and pasta hit ths spot.

We got some of the typical San Fran T-Shirts and magnets there at Pier 39 and then walked all the way back in the rain. Wendy isn't a happy camper right now because I didn't get us a Cab, there were no Cabs to take.

During the long walk back we saw a few of those Electric trolleys, they look amazing, just like in the show "The Streets of San Francisco" it was one of my favorite detective t.v. series from back in the day.

My feet hurt, we are drying up now and will go down to get our usual Foo Foo drinks after we get up from taking our naps, no dinner for us tonight.

By the way, sorry about the mis-information about closing the borders, some clueless friend of Wendy's told us that on the phone.

Fred

Those trolleys were shipped into Sf from all over the world. When you are inside one on th ewall it will tell you which country it came from. I remember one I took regularly was from Hungary. Sorry about the rain, but it sounds like you had a relaxing time just scouting the place.

Apparently Carnival does not think it will be over by the 5/24/09 Splendor Sailing. Looks like Splendor will be returning to San Francisco on 5/4/09, 5/18/09, and 5/25/09:

Hey there! Hope things are back to normal by your cruise. Lorraine (BSQ) is on the current Splendor sailing - can't wait to get a report from her when she gets back!

Come chat with us over on the Lifers thread even if you guys can't sail with us. We missed you guys on our last cruise - dinner wasn't quite the same without you!

I looked on the Carnival website, and I don't see anything about the May 24th sailing being diverted. Where are you all seeing that? Thanks, I have friends on that trip.

Hi Bank- The site in the quote on post 661 will take you there.

Local media reports that a San Francisco boy who just returned from Mexico has had a positive test for the swine flu virus.

A few days ago I was thinking that it was an overreaction to keep you folks on the ship for a week skipping Mexico. Now the pendulum has swung the other way and I'm seeing the wisdom in it. The very high awareness is going to get known cases isolated faster and knock it down faster.

BTW, there were four news trucks at the pier today, time to go watch the local news get breathless about your cruise. There were also a lot of shorts on Pier 39 tonight. You guys looked like a bunch of German tourists.

I looked on the Carnival website, and I don't see anything about the May 24th sailing being diverted. Where are you all seeing that? Thanks, I have friends on that trip.

Nothing's set for Carnival yet for the 24th. (we're on that one too) The link above was for the port of SF, with the Splendor scheduled that monday to be in port.

Carnival won't even speculate at this point as for our cruise.

Wow, 34 pages of updates from the "Swine Flu Alternative" Cruise to hmmm...San Francisco. I think much of this is interesting, but how much fun is Fred having going back to the Internet every two hours to post an update..."Well we just had breakfast (no pork products for me), time to go the cabin for my morning Crap then it's off to play chinese checkers, there are alot of pretty good players on this cruise, well one got off in Long Beach, but we're all making fun of him now that he's gone..." Just one question why aren't you having some fun instead of posting continuiously?

Wow, 34 pages of updates from the "Swine Flu Alternative" Cruise to hmmm...San Francisco. I think much of this is interesting, but how much fun is Fred having going back to the Internet every two hours to post an update..."Well we just had breakfast (no pork products for me), time to go the cabin for my morning Crap then it's off to play chinese checkers, there are alot of pretty good players on this cruise, well one got off in Long Beach, but we're all making fun of him now that he's gone..." Just one question why aren't you having some fun instead of posting continuiously?

wow - an extremely cynical, judgmental, and otherwise useless post to the very thread you're commenting on.

if you're not interested, move along.

fred and the others on board obviously seem to find time to post, and judging by the 34 pages, obviously others are interested. you're not in a position, imo, to pass judgment on them for posting, or others for reading - all are doing so willingly. btw, don't you ever go back to your room (where i assume fred is posting from)... it's not that hard.

i think that was just plain rude.

As this thread has just captured my free time the last few days. I feel like I have lived on the cruise with you folks. Thank you for all your fun updates and getting me all excited for our upcoming Alaska cruise. However, I can't wonder, what will I do when this cruise ends and no more updates? :eek:

Glad you had a great trip and made the most of it.

Nancy

wow - an extremely cynical, judgmental, and otherwise useless post to the very thread you're commenting on.

if you're not interested, move along.

fred and the others on board obviously seem to find time to post, and judging by the 34 pages, obviously others are interested. you're not in a position, imo, to pass judgment on them for posting, or others for reading - all are doing so willingly. btw, don't you ever go back to your room (where i assume fred is posting from)... it's not that hard.

i think that was just plain rude.

I guess I never thought spending 8 hours a day, while on a cruise, on the internet updateing all of us about every little detail would be worth my time, but maybe you or Fred find that kind of thing kind of fun. I was just trying to find out why someone would replace cruise time for internet time as worth the effort, but to each their own. Rude is your own opinion, mine was a question and example. Happy Crusin' Mr. Cheerleader.

I guess I never thought spending 8 hours a day, while on a cruise, on the internet updateing all of us about every little detail would be worth my time, but maybe you or Fred find that kind of thing kind of fun. I was just trying to find out why someone would replace cruise time for internet time as worth the effort, but to each their own. Rude is your own opinion, mine was a question and example. Happy Crusin' Mr. Cheerleader.

i sincerely doubt fred is spending 8 hrs a day on the internet... that's preposterous. and as noted, it's not really that hard to post a reply from the boat or on land... did your post take an hour to write? because that's approximately the proportion of time you would so suggest... and again, i just would assert that you shouldn't judge anyone for what they decide and will to do.

mr cheerleader? ok, i guess that's a cc 'threshold' - never been called that before and don't believe it to be true... i was just saying that imo, you're being rude and frankly, are not contributing anything of substance to this dialogue, mr. cynical / grumpy / whiner / downer / stick in the mud - it's not hard to call names, but assuming you object to any of the above, i assume you'd also agree it's not very productive, or accurate... unless you would classify yourself as cynical / grumpy / whiner / downer or a stick in the mud.

i'd really like to not have to respond to this again, i'm not looking for a debate here - it's not appropriate for this thread. i've said what i wanted to, and so did you - and both of the above were our personal opinions, which we're entitled to. i just don't agree with you and do think your post was rude / mean spirited / judgmental, which is my opinion. happy cruisin' to you, too.

best of everything to the 'lemonade cruisers'... that is, after all, what this thread is all about.

i sincerely doubt fred is spending 8 hrs a day on the internet... that's preposterous. and as noted, it's not really that hard to post a reply from the boat or on land... did your post take an hour to write? because that's approximately the proportion of time you would so suggest... and again, i just would assert that you shouldn't judge anyone for what they decide and will to do.

mr cheerleader? ok, i guess that's a cc 'threshold' - never been called that before and don't believe it to be true... i was just saying that imo, you're being rude and frankly, are not contributing anything of substance to this dialogue, mr. cynical / grumpy / whiner / downer / stick in the mud - it's not hard to call names, but assuming you object to any of the above, i assume you'd also agree it's not very productive, or accurate... unless you would classify yourself as cynical / grumpy / whiner / downer or a stick in the mud.

As you have pointed out your post is not at all intelligent nor appropriate, so I'll ignore your rants. I expressed an opinion about the OP's contributions. My point was, why take valuable time away from posting blow by blow accounts of everyone's activities? Maybe that is important to some. Do most of the readers here really want to live vicariously through the OP's posts and if they do, don't you think that is a sad commentary for them?

You may attach whatever label you wish, but it doesn't change the truth.

Wow, someone really needs a hobby! Talk about something being worth your time??? Really?? You can't find ANYTHING better to do?

On the brighter side....very cool shot from the webcam tonight of San Fran....

splendorSF.jpg

Do most of the readers here really want to live vicariously through the OP's posts and if they do, don't you think that is a sad commentary for them?

Ummm....considering this post has hundreds and hundreds of posts on 30-some pages, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "Yes. People are interested."

There are quite a few of us booked on cruises over the next few weeks and months who are more than interested on how Carnival is treating this situation, how people on the ship are enjoying SF, and what we can possibly expect if we decided to cruise with the new itineraries.

If you don't care for the updates, fine. Go find some other forum to flame. You said your peace, made your point, (i guess...) why continue to argue when you are clearly in the enormous minority of people who don't care.

Listen here, FYI....Fred has developed a brotherhood here on Cruise Critic that you don't seem to realize. He's a good guy from San Diego that shares a passion with a few folks here, as well as myself. We love all aspects of cruising and enjoy sharing our experiences. Do you really think it takes Fred that much time to type a brief summary. It's pretty jerky to be mocking him as well in your post. Let me guess, your that same person that sits a judges peoples attire on formal night and comments on how inappropriate they are. FRED: You are appreciated. It's been a couple of years since we've actually been on the same thread. I've never been the type to post a bunch, but when I do, I like to make it count with intelligent commentary. Or in this case, step up and gang up on you, TedJazz. Go to another thread if you don't like what you see. Your posts have been fruitless. Ok, enough about you. My family will be on the Splendor on 05/24 and really looking forward to San Francisco, Victoria, and Seattle. We're actually tired of Mexico, especially Cabo. It's so overrated. I'll stop there before I start a debate regarding Cabo. Keep the information flowing Fred, been nice seeing you around again.

David-Visalia,Ca

Listen here, FYI....Fred has developed a brotherhood here on Cruise Critic that you don't seem to realize. He's a good guy from San Diego that shares a passion with a few folks here, as well as myself. We love all aspects of cruising and enjoy sharing our experiences. Do you really think it takes Fred that much time to type a brief summary. It's pretty jerky to be mocking him as well in your post. Let me guess, your that same person that sits a judges peoples attire on formal night and comments on how inappropriate they are. FRED: You are appreciated. It's been a couple of years since we've actually been on the same thread. I've never been the type to post a bunch, but when I do, I like to make it count with intelligent commentary. Or in this case, step up and gang up on you, TedJazz. Go to another thread if you don't like what you see. Your posts have been fruitless. Ok, enough about you. My family will be on the Splendor on 05/24 and really looking forward to San Francisco, Victoria, and Seattle. We're actually tired of Mexico, especially Cabo. It's so overrated. I'll stop there before I start a debate regarding Cabo. Keep the information flowing Fred, been nice seeing you around again.

David-Visalia,Ca

DavidT....well put. We'll be on the same cruise, have to hook up for a foofoo drink somewhere!

Hey Jeff and Kim, I'm David and my Wife is Melissa. We'll also have our 5 year old Daughter Haley with us. This will be our 10th Carnival Cruise, so we will officially be Platinum. The free laundry will be nice. See your 43 years old, we're just under ya at 42/40. We'll be on the Empress Deck Interior Cabin, but who knows, if there are a bunch of people elect not to cruise, might try to upgrade. Actually, we will be just a couple of cabins away from where Fred is now. We're close to the elevator that goes straight to Camp Carnival. Our daughter loves it. This will be her 7th Carnival Cruise. Anyway, we are pretty excited about the Northwest Route. Hope it sticks for a few weeks. Hey, just 22 days to go.

David

Carnival Cruises:9

NCL Cruises:2

Holland:1

Archived