Japanese Restaurants in Waikiki

RSF Cruiser

We'll be in Waikiki the end of May and want to eat in a Japanese restaurant. What is your favorite and why?

I searched this forum and saw a listing from 2004 for Kyo-Ya, but based on my internet search, the restaurant closed.

We're staying at the Marriott Beach Hotel, and will not have a car, so my preference is for Waikiki.

Thanks.

Look at tripadvisor.com...There is lots of info on Japanese restaurants.

I haven't been to these restaurants but I will list the ones in my copy of "Hawaii's Best Restaurants from our local newspaper(The Honolulu Advertiser) for 2008-9. All are in Waikiki or close by.

Doraku Sushi 2201 Kalakaua Ave (Royal Hawaiian Center)

Izakaya Nonbei 3108 Olu St (not Waikiki but close)

Kaiwa 226 Lewers (Waikiki Beach Walk-2nd floor)

Musashi 2424 Kalakaua Ave (Hyatt Regency Hotel)

Nobu Waikiki 2233 Helumoa Rd (Waikiki Parc Hotel)

Rokkaku 1450 Ala Moana (Ala Moana Shopping Center)

Tanaka of Tokyo 1450 Ala Moana (A/M Shopping Center)

Tanaka of Tokyo 2250 Kalakaua Ave (Waikiki Shopping Center)

Todai Waikiki 1910 Ala Moana (Canterbury Condo)

Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin Waikiki 255 Beachwalk (Outrigger Reg. Beachwalk Htl)

Are you picky about the “authenticity” of Japanese cuisine? :) I am and my favorite Japanese restaurant is Rokkaku. Although it’s not in Waikiki, Ala Moana is very easy to get to. I’m not sure what your budget is but Rokkaku is on the pricier side (maybe $30/pp without alcohol); however, the food is very authentic and sashimi is very fresh. Their specialty is kamameshi, rice cooked in a stone pot (allow 30 minutes of cooking time). Their Rokkaku salad is very good too as well as their “Agecheezu” (fried cheese = simply brie tempura, but it is soooo good!).:D

Restaurant Suntory in Royal Hawaiian Center is also good. They have sushi and teppanyaki (like Tanaka of Tokyo).

Sansei Seafood and Sushi Bar, which is inside your hotel, offers contemporary sushi and the food is good. I haven’t been there in a while, but they used to have early bird and late night discounts. (www.sanseihawaii.com)

Unfortunately I haven’t been there yet but I’ve heard nothing but good things about Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin. They now sell tonkatsu bentos out of Shirokiya at Ala Moana Center.

If you like soba noodles, Matsugen is next door to Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin. Matsugen makes their noodles by hand every day and it was delicious.

If you prefer authentic Japanese food, avoid Doraku Sushi. The teriyaki chicken was deep fried (more like charred to a crisp) with teriyaki sauce poured over it. :confused:

Another good resource is Yelp. (www.yelp.com/honolulu)

Hope you find a restaurant you’ll love!

When I lived in Honolulum Iloved going to Kobe Steakhouse in Waikiki,

I don't know if it's authentic or not, but the Japanese tourists sure do love it. More than once, I was the only english speaking patron at the grill.

Aloha,

John

There is a small mall type area called Kings Court on Kaiulani which is about a block from the beach. There is a Japanese restaurant (don't remember the name) in this complex where we've eaten twice and enjoyed their food. In the evening they have a military changing of the guards kind of ceremony which is fun to watch. Another person mentioned Todai where we ate once. This is a buffet restaurant and food is too mass produced to appreciate Japanese cuisine.

John L.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you know we ate at San Sei in the Waikiki Marriott. The food was great, and much to our surprise, we just happened to go there in a Monday at 5:30, and lucked out - their prices are half off on Sundays and Mondays between 5:30 and 6:00. It's an unadvertised special, and the line starts around 4:30. We got there around 5:35 on Monday and got in, and tried again the following Sunday - got in line at 5:15, and missed the cut off. So if you want the bargain, get there by 5:00. If you're staying at the Marriott, you get a 25% discount every night between 5:30 and 6:30.

The food is contemporary Japenese. Very tasty - I have no idea what we ordered - we went with the waiter's suggestions. I know we had a sushi with no rice that was terrific. The only traditional dish we had was tempura, and it was as we expected. The other dishes were more flavorful. We had the fried macadamia nut ice cream for dessert - definitely not Japanses, but delicious none the less.

Archived