Roman Odyssey

Will be doing Rome on our own and seeing the Colosseum and Forum for the first time in October. Has anyone taken the 2.5 h tour with Roman Odyssey?? My wife is an ancient history buff so she would appreciate more explanation of the Forum than wandering ourselves. The Roman Odyssey tour goes to both Colosseum and Forum. Alternate suggestions welcomed.

If you are a history buff, I suggest that you look into the tours offered by Context Rome. They provide a very informative 3 hour walking tour of the Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill. Their tours are semi-private, I think they allow a maximum of 6.

I am extremely picky about tours; most of the time I feel that I already knew much of the information that the guide provided. This is one of the few tours of Rome where that was NOT the case...

Unfortunately the timing may not work if you are only coming into Rome for the day from port.

If you are a history buff, I suggest that you look into the tours offered by Context Rome. They provide a very informative 3 hour walking tour of the Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill. Their tours are semi-private, I think they allow a maximum of 6.

I am extremely picky about tours; most of the time I feel that I already knew much of the information that the guide provided. This is one of the few tours of Rome where that was NOT the case...

Unfortunately the timing may not work if you are only coming into Rome for the day from port.

Yes, I would have to check Context's schedule but since we only have one day in Rome and required travel to/fr port, I also have to balance time spent at the Forum with being able to see a few other places.

ps. Context's tours are too early or too late for us!

You might want to see if the above tour named grp. would fit into your schedule. They are highly recommended by the Frommer boards and others. I believe their address is just througheternity.com

Good luck, Icybear

If your wife is an ancient history buff, you should definitely try to include the Palatine in any tour you take. It's more historically significant than the Colosseum, by a long shot.

If you can't find a tour that includes exactly what you want, I recommend Alta Macadam's "Blue Guide Rome". It has the best Palatine map/tour I've seen anywhere, as well as excellent Forum and Colosseum info. It's worth buying... but I was able to borrow it through Interlibrary loan and copy the relevant pages.

Archived