NCL's Response to the Swine Flu Issue...

Cubechick

Travel Advisory

Miami - Apr 28, 2009 --- The health and well-being of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance to Norwegian Cruise Line. Accordingly, the company is closely monitoring the health advisories regarding the current Swine Influenza (Swine Flu) situation.

Norwegian Cruise Line's scheduled deployment does not include regular calls to Mexico until the end of September. Norwegian Pearl's current repositioning cruise includes ports of call in Mexico; the company is aware of the recent travel advisory relating to Mexico and is very closely monitoring the situation. Norwegian Cruise Line has stringent protocols for cleaning and sanitation on all of its vessels to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. In addition, the company is taking proactive precautionary measures to protect its valued guests, including, but not limited to, fleet-wide guest screening via a health questionnaire prior to embarkation and on-board education regarding Swine Flu symptoms and preventative actions. As a result, the company does not anticipate that its guests' cruise experience will be impacted.

Furthermore, Norwegian Cruise Line's on-board medical centers are stocking an appropriate amount of the anti-viral medication used to treat the illness, in the unlikely event the need for its use becomes necessary.

Any further updates will be posted to ncl.com. For information on swine influenza, visit the CDC's web site at www.cdc.gov

It is very good to hear they will have anti-viral on board. I wonder how and when the guest health screening will take place? As you check-in, you'll be asked a series of questions about how you feel? That's how some of the airports are doing it.

It is very good to hear they will have anti-viral on board. I wonder how and when the guest health screening will take place? As you check-in, you'll be asked a series of questions about how you feel? That's how some of the airports are doing it.

They actually did that on my last CTN. I think it was more for Noro. It was a little questionaire (fever, diareaha etc..)

They actually did that on my last CTN. I think it was more for Noro. It was a little questionaire (fever, diareaha etc..)

Interesting ... Thanks, Sandy! Who is in your new avatar - you and yours?? What an absolutely precious photo!!

Thanks for posting this NCL info. I have been check the website yesterday and this morning so it must have just come out.

I am sure this will mean we will be served by NCL in the buffets. We leave this Saturday.

I love how sometimes they won't give you a plate for the buffet unless you rub some sanitizer on your hand. :D

and then their are people that don't follow it so why bother?? Me and hubby using the hand sanitizer does not help when other don't.

Sometimes I would have gangway hand spray duty. I was one of the people who sprayed your hands before you got onto the ship! Anyway some people would act like we just killed their dog or something because we asked to spray their hand. Seriously they acted like I just ruined their entire vacation, their entire year. Like I just told them they have 2 days to live and their house burned down. I never understood it. Its a good thing! We are passing out papers today about how to keep your hands clean and stuff.

Sometimes I would have gangway hand spray duty. I was one of the people who sprayed your hands before you got onto the ship! Anyway some people would act like we just killed their dog or something because we asked to spray their hand. Seriously they acted like I just ruined their entire vacation, their entire year. Like I just told them they have 2 days to live and their house burned down. I never understood it. Its a good thing! We are passing out papers today about how to keep your hands clean and stuff.

People are funny! :rolleyes:

That article was apparently written by someone at NCL who is fresh out of clues. The article states how NCL has a strict protocol for cleaning there ships and blah, blah, blah.

Well, it's not going to matter how clean the ship is if they stop in Mexico and a few people are subjected to this virus. It's airborne, not spread through general contact.

Well, it's not going to matter how clean the ship is if they stop in Mexico and a few people are subjected to this virus. It's airborne, not spread through general contact.

The CDC disagrees with you:

Human-to-human transmission of swine flu can also occur. This is thought to occur in the same way as seasonal flu occurs in people, which is mainly person-to-person transmission through coughing or sneezing of people infected with the influenza virus. People may become infected by touching something with flu viruses on it and then touching their mouth or nose.

Easy now folks. No jumping to conclusions. 36,000 people die in the United States from the regular flu, but nobody seems to pay much attention to that. The virus in Mexico is not coast to coast at this point so some of those remote ports may be just fine.

Not saying there is not a reason for concern, but one must be reasonable.

I think some people believe NCL should just park the boats until this passes. I am NOT referring to anyone that has posted here.

I would not want to go to Mexico right now. I don't think I'd want to be on a cruise ship to Mexico right now. Think about it, if you stay on the ship and others get off the ship, they can catch the swine flu and bring it back on board.

NCL does a great job keeping the ship clean and they are INSANE about the hand sanitizer, so I'm not dogging them. I just wouldn't feel comfortable going to Mexico right now.

They should just sail the ship to Bermuda and dock it for a week. Take the long way to Alaska.

The CDC disagrees with you:

Human-to-human transmission of swine flu can also occur. This is thought to occur in the same way as seasonal flu occurs in people, which is mainly person-to-person transmission through coughing or sneezing of people infected with the influenza virus. People may become infected by touching something with flu viruses on it and then touching their mouth or nose.

Alright, i digress, to a point. It still, is going to do no good to sail a ship there but say "hey, we clean it good". Hence why i say whoever wrote this is a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

Travel Advisory: Updated 7pm 04/28/09

Miami - Apr 28, 2009 --- The health and well-being of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance to Norwegian Cruise Line. Accordingly, the company is closely monitoring the health advisories regarding the current Swine Influenza (Swine Flu) situation.

As a precautionary measure due to the recent travel advisory relating to Mexico, the company is cancelling Norwegian Pearl's final two calls in Mexico on its current repositioning cruise. The stops were scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday, April 29 and Friday, May 1, 2009. Apart from this sailing, Norwegian Cruise Line's scheduled deployment does not include any other ports of call in Mexico until the end of September 2009.

Norwegian Cruise Line has stringent protocols for cleaning and sanitation on all of its vessels to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. In addition, the company is taking proactive precautionary measures to protect its valued guests, including, but not limited to, fleet-wide guest screening via a health questionnaire prior to embarkation and on-board education regarding Swine Flu symptoms and preventative actions. As a result, the company does not anticipate that its guests' cruise experience will be impacted.

Furthermore, Norwegian Cruise Line's on-board medical centers are stocking an appropriate amount of the anti-viral medication used to treat the illness, in the unlikely event the need for its use becomes necessary.

Any further updates will be posted to ncl.com. For information on swine influenza, visit the CDC's web site at http://www.cdc.gov

I will be boarding the Pearl in LA on MaY 3. Does anyone know what the intinery is before it docks in LA. I realize it will be cancelling the last two stops (Apr 29 and May1) in Mexico. What were the previous stops?

Thanks

Archived