NCL's Response to the Swine Flu Issue...

Cubechick

and then their are people that don't follow it so why bother?? Me and hubby using the hand sanitizer does not help when other don't.

you and hubby using hand sanitizers does help in many ways the first being others see you and may copy, your germy hands get sanitized and that helps other pax, if your hands are sanitized it helps keep germs off your mouth. The so why bother attitude is very catching and is the biggest hurdle in educating pax to use santizers. So do yourselves and the rest of us fellow pax a big favor and use the sanitizers you may even help to dcrease the spread of viruses.

you and hubby using hand sanitizers does help in many ways the first being others see you and may copy, your germy hands get sanitized and that helps other pax, if your hands are sanitized it helps keep germs off your mouth. The so why bother attitude is very catching and is the biggest hurdle in educating pax to use santizers. So do yourselves and the rest of us fellow pax a big favor and use the sanitizers you may even help to dcrease the spread of viruses.

So since this virus is potentially airborne how can we educate people when coughing and sneezing not to just let it loose?

That as far as I am concerned is people that were brought up in "a barn" so the saying goes. That is just being ignorant and disrespectful of others.

• Administrators
According to the CDC website, New York City has the highest concentration of Swine Flu in the states. Is everyone going to avoid NYC, too?

SH:D

Maybe, in my case. Thankfully, I have until mid-June to see how things develop prior to my land visit to NYC for five days before taking a cruise to Canada. This story, like avian flu and SARS, reminds me of Stephen King's novel "The Stand." Outbreaks of illness happen all over the globe, all the time -- and nobody knows, in the early stages, if it's just a "regular" outbreak or maybe something much worse. So far in this story it seems like those affected in Mexico are overall much more seriously ill than those in the US -- but this is a developing story.

I wouldn't say right now that I'm definitely going to take that June trip, without question -- but neither would I cancel it now. More information is needed.

• Administrators
So since this virus is potentially airborne how can we educate people when coughing and sneezing not to just let it loose?

That as far as I am concerned is people that were brought up in "a barn" so the saying goes. That is just being ignorant and disrespectful of others.

Airborne pathogens are the worst. Hand sanitizers (and hand washing) do nothing if you happen to receive the full force of a sneeze or cough. That's why folks often wear masks during these outbreaks. About the only "respectful" thing someone in the contagious phase of a disease like this can do is STAY HOME. A close second would be to stay in your cabin on the ship, if the symptoms didn't manifest until you were onboard. A (very) distant last place would be to cough/sneeze into the inside of your elbow (NOT your hand --- ewww! :eek:) when in public.

I hope this discussion encourages others to USE the hand sanitizers, rather than take the position that using them will do no good. NCL has done a great job in recent years, making passengers use them, and trust they will become even more aggressive about it.

I don't understand why everyone would not realize they do prevent the spread of these airborne viruses. It at least appears clear to me that I could become infected should such "germs" land where my hands touch, and are transferred to my mouth, or someone else's mouth for that matter. General use of hand sanitizers minimizes the transfer of these germs from one place to another, and accordingly reduces the chance than anyone of us will pick it up.

If everyone neglects to use the sanitizers, the germs will have free run of the ship. Let's not let that happen.

On a side note, my 10 year old granddaughter took the pocket sized bottle of hand sanitzer I keep in my car, as she was headed to her gymnastic team practice. Good thinking on her part, as well as her goal to no longer "bite her fingernails". She doesn't do it too much, but she now realizes that is one way to reduce the risk of catching a flu virus.

Interesting ... Thanks, Sandy! Who is in your new avatar - you and yours?? What an absolutely precious photo!!

Wish I was that young! That is my DD and my DGD. I thought it was a such a cute pic and since I'm here so much I can look at it all the time:D

Archived