Valor Western Carib 4/19/2009 Review

Ron_L

Great review! We're sailing on the Valor this Sunday! A couple of questions:

1)Where can you purchase the liquor to have delivered to your room? I've looked on the gifts on carnival's website but I can't find it listed - only wine.

2) Last year in Cayman we took a taxi to Royal Palms at 7 Mile Beach. We're undecided on if we want to just do that again, or take a taxi all the way over to Rum Point. Was Rum Point nice enough to warrant the extra time & effort?

Rum Point is nice but it is at the far end of the Island, it would be pricey by taxi but why not rent a car; its very reasonable and safe to drive in GC. I do it every time I am in GC and it is well worth it.

Are there any theme nights on the Valor?

The only one that I remember is the night when we left Cozumel. They had a deck party with "Mexican" drinks (Margaritas mostly) and then a midnight Mexican buffet. If there was others I don't remember them :rolleyes:

Ron - what a great review....there have been a lot of reviews on the Valor lately; all positive so that has us a bit excited for our trip

We thought we would be doing the West end of the Island in Roatan but now you have us thinking F&F. Can I ask how long you spent at F&F and then about the shopping in the town area. Is it relatively close? This is the only Island we have not been to so I am excited and want to be able to snorkel and them explore the town.

Thanks again for the review and the wonderful photos :D

Are there any theme nights on the Valor?

Ron - what a great review....there have been a lot of reviews on the Valor lately; all positive so that has us a bit excited for our trip

We thought we would be doing the West end of the Island in Roatan but now you have us thinking F&F. Can I ask how long you spent at F&F and then about the shopping in the town area. Is it relatively close? This is the only Island we have not been to so I am excited and want to be able to snorkel and them explore the town.

Thanks again for the review and the wonderful photos :D

It is less than 10 minutes from the ship to Fins and Flippers island. They had several people at the dock and as folks would walk up they would take them to their private dock for the boat ride to the island. We expected them to wait until they had several people on the boat but they took us across immediately.

I think you could cover the entire dock shopping area in about a half hour (unless you like to linger in every shop). Don't forget the chop on F&F. We bought a hand made ceramic vase on F&F and saw them for several dollars more at the dock shops.

Ron - I also watched your slide show.........I feel like I should pay you for the video :)

By the Way Jason is one of my favorite new artists!

can I ask what cabin you guys had, did you like it?

It is less than 10 minutes from the ship to Fins and Flippers island. They had several people at the dock and as folks would walk up they would take them to their private dock for the boat ride to the island. We expected them to wait until they had several people on the boat but they took us across immediately.

I think you could cover the entire dock shopping area in about a half hour (unless you like to linger in every shop). Don't forget the chop on F&F. We bought a hand made ceramic vase on F&F and saw them for several dollars more at the dock shops.

Thanks - we may talk to our group about going here instead. We have a large group so this sounds like it would work for everyone. Was there stuff for kids to do, a few in our group have children and we want to make sure they would not be too bored?

Thank you for such a WONDERFUL review. Loved all the pictures. We are going on the Valor in November with a large group (75-80 cabins), and I have sent an e-mail blast to them, with a link to your picture album. We have many newbies on this cruise, so it will give them some great visual aids to help them prepare for the cruise.

On the first day, when you went to visit the different cabins, you mentioned a cabin that is classified as an inside, but is really an oceanview, in the very front. I think they are category 4G cabins. Could you tell me what they are like? We have a gentleman in one of those cabins, because it was the only inside handicapped cabin available. I haven't seen them yet, and would like to be able to give him some insight into the cabin.

Again, great review and thanks for all of your hard work.

Ron - I also watched your slide show.........I feel like I should pay you for the video :)

By the Way Jason is one of my favorite new artists!

can I ask what cabin you guys had, did you like it?

Thanks!

We had an ocean view (6B) on the Riviera deck (deck 1), cabin 1268. It was perfect for us. Yeah, a balcony would have been nice for morning coffee, but other than that we weren't in the cabin except to sleep. There were two drawbacks to our location.

1. We were near the fore elevator bank (which was very convenient 90% of the time), but that area was very crowded in the morning when we were in a port. it cleared up quickly so it wasn't a huge problem.

2. The room that the stewards use for their supplies was across the hall. When they were getting their carts ready for the day we heard some noise, but again, not bad.

Thanks - we may talk to our group about going here instead. We have a large group so this sounds like it would work for everyone. Was there stuff for kids to do, a few in our group have children and we want to make sure they would not be too bored?

I guess it depends on the kids :D There are no water toys (slides, jumpy things, etc. so if they want that then another beach may be better. If they like to splash around in the shallow water or enjoy the pool they would be fine. They can also walk around the paths and look at the animals and birds and they can watch them feed the sea lions.

On the first day, when you went to visit the different cabins, you mentioned a cabin that is classified as an inside, but is really an oceanview, in the very front. I think they are category 4G cabins. Could you tell me what they are like? We have a gentleman in one of those cabins, because it was the only inside handicapped cabin available. I haven't seen them yet, and would like to be able to give him some insight into the cabin.

That sounds right. The folks who were in that cabin thought that they may be bumped is someone needed an accessible cabin but they weren't. I'll see if they took any picture of the cabin, but it seemed to be about the same size as our cabin but with a much larger bathroom. it had a window (don't remember how big) the looked out onto the area that you reach when you go through the "secret door". All in all it was a nice cabin.

Yep... That's the one. I'm very happy with the pictures for a small point-and-shoot. I have a Pentax underwater digital that is a couple of years old and the pictures that it took weren't anywhere near a nice.

If you aren't in a hurry, watch the auctions at Overstock.com. Olympus sells factory refurbished cameras there and I found a great deal on mine.

Yep... That's the one. I'm very happy with the pictures for a small point-and-shoot. I have a Pentax underwater digital that is a couple of years old and the pictures that it took weren't anywhere near a nice.

If you aren't in a hurry, watch the auctions at Overstock.com. Olympus sells factory refurbished cameras there and I found a great deal on mine.

Thanks alot. I was just looking on ebay. I will check overstock too. I had a Sony underwater digita camera, years ago, and I could never figure out how to use it. Was it easy to use? I think I had one of the 'originals' in underwater digital. LOL. I sold it on Ebay and the gentleman that bought it loved it. So I guess it was me.

Beverly... They had 1002 on the Panorama Deck. It was a cat 4F. She is going to post some pictures this evening.

As i mentioned in my review, I generally buy hats and hot sauces for souvenirs. Here is my haul from this cruise :D

P8080319.JPG

Here is a shot of just the hot sauces...

P8080318.JPG

Left to right...

Capitan Bravo Salsas Habaneros (Cozumel),

Pico Picante Chile Habanero (Cozumel),

Marie Sharp's Orange Pulp Habanero (Belize),

Marie Sharp's Habanero Pepper Sauce (Belize),

Lisette's Secret Sauce (Belize),

Bucanero Bonacco Sauce (Red and green) (Roatan),

Cayman Island Sauce Company Citrus Heat (Grand Cayman) and

Tortuga Jamaican Jerk Sauce (Grand Cayman.

I think my wife bought some stuff, too :rolleyes:

Thanks for the review.

At Chankanaab did you just luck out and get the snorkel tour or did it seem like they offered this regularly from there? Did you need vests? How was the snorkeling on your own?

Second- Falkor have you booked for August/Sept yet? We are on the 9/13 sailing.

nope, not yet! just recently realized a TON of my friends from houston are going to croatia for another friend's wedding, so just started investigating ships other than conquest out of galveston... valor's pricing is SO LOW for sept sailings (349 starting @ inside early saver), and airfare significantly lower to miami than houston for the family & friends coming from the northeast, that it's an emerging favorite among cruises in this time period... i plan on starting to check out the roll calls this weekend, etc. to see what's going on for the sailings in that time period...

Thanks for the review.

At Chankanaab did you just luck out and get the snorkel tour or did it seem like they offered this regularly from there? Did you need vests? How was the snorkeling on your own?

I think we lucked out as far as timing, but he told us that we was there regularly. If you feel more comfortable with a vest, then they have them. My wife wore hers. Most of the time you are in water 10-15 feet deep.

Snorkeling on our own was fine, but we may have missed thing like the Christ statue without Mario to show us were it was.

Here are a few extra pictures that i liked...

The Christ statue at Chankanaab Park...

Carnival%20Valor%2004192009%20585.jpg

Carved fruit at the midnight mexican Buffet

Carnival%20Valor%2004192009%20676.jpg

Some of the coral and a little fish at Fins and Flippers...

Carnival%20Valor%2004192009%20331.jpg

Again, great review and thanks for all of your hard work.

Hi Beverly... Here are pictures from our roll call thread of the 4F cabin.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19352937&postcount=2072

Ron, thanks so much for the pictures of the cabin. Looking at them has me a bit concerned. This gentleman is confined to a wheelchair, and the cabin doesn't look big enough to manuver a chair around in. Your opnion on that?

Ron,

Beautiful job on this, and your photos are wonderful! We were on the same cruise and agree with your comments!! Had a wonderful time! On the shuttle van over to the Port (SAS) we met Jeff and Diane--I believe they're from Missouri. I didn't see them on this thread, but I think they were on somewhere! Anyway, we ended up spending the day in Grand Cayman with them (Moby Dick snorkel & sting ray tour which was phenomenal!) and took photos with our camera of them with the sting rays. If you hear from them, please have them e-mail us at timheying@yahoo.com. We'd love to send them their photos! THANKS!!!

Tim & Annette (CA)

Ron, thanks so much for the pictures of the cabin. Looking at them has me a bit concerned. This gentleman is confined to a wheelchair, and the cabin doesn't look big enough to manuver a chair around in. Your opnion on that?

We were in there for about 5 minutes, so i really don't remember. Hop on over to our roll call thread. Carib1 is the lady who was in that cabin (Christina). I'm sure she can help you figure that out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=763622&page=104

A few are asking about cabins so I will put my two cents worth in here....

Our cabin was on the 10 floor, port side, forward, with a balcony. I will tell you the location was absolutely perfect. We kept the door open every single night to hear the sounds of the ocean. Where that cabin is located is the perfect location to hear the cutting of the ocean water with the ship,,,, Barry and I stayed in our cabin about 75% of our stay on the cruise. Our cruise was for Rest and Relaxtion so we had this planned...

Okay.... I must mention Our neighbors on both sides smoked ( which isn't good because I get severe migraines from cig. smoke) and needless to say 1 side party hard at times and was smoking illegal stuff...... So... I will say they didn't stay long on their balcony because they had to get back to the "Party" on deck but when they were in for the short period of time the peace was interrupted.

A few are asking about cabins so I will put my two cents worth in here....

Our cabin was on the 10 floor, port side, forward, with a balcony. I will tell you the location was absolutely perfect. We kept the door open every single night to hear the sounds of the ocean. Where that cabin is located is the perfect location to hear the cutting of the ocean water with the ship,,,, Barry and I stayed in our cabin about 75% of our stay on the cruise. Our cruise was for Rest and Relaxtion so we had this planned...

Okay.... I must mention Our neighbors on both sides smoked ( which isn't good because I get severe migraines from cig. smoke) and needless to say 1 side party hard at times and was smoking illegal stuff...... So... I will say they didn't stay long on their balcony because they had to get back to the "Party" on deck but when they were in for the short period of time the peace was interrupted.

Thanks for the info on the cabin - we usually do an aft balcony but this trip we are doing a balcony on the 10th, I was a bit nervous but after your comments; I am excited we decided to try something new. Doyou have any pictures? What cabin was it

Great Trip Report Ron! Thanks for taking the time and providing lots of good information!!

We are planning on Fins/Flippers too......do they have life vests to rent for children to snorkle with? Do they have life vests at Chanakaab park too? Can you post Mario (cozumel) email....we're thinking of scheduling something with him!

Archived