Quick suggestions for us diverted Mariner cruisers

erby2283

Just found out last night that our Mexican Riviera Cruise has been changed to a "Pacific Northwest Cruise". We will be visiting San Francisco, Victoria - British Columbia and Seattle. With time being limited (and therefore not able to read all these threads) can you guys make some quick suggestions for us?????

My friend is not keen on alcatraz (although I wouldn' mind) and I don't eat seafood...so eating at some good restaurant doesn't really peak my interests....but give me any and all ideas!

you could walk through chinatown. do you like history? maritime history at fisherman's wharf (pomponito submarine -ww 2, and ) further west is hyde street pier maritime museum (collection of ships). museum mechanique at fisherman's wharf is free and full of old penny arcade stuff.

or if you like art--asian art museum--civic center --take the muni underground up to it. or go a couple more stops to the Castro and check out one of our fun neighborhoods. south of market, there is the museum of modern art, jewish museum, museum of african disporia, cartoon art museum, yerba buena center of the arts.

in golden gate park (take bus or taxi) is the De Young museum --world art and very fine american art-- or go further out to the Palace of the Legion of Honor--exhibit on tiffany fabrege and other fine creations right now.

for a slice of SF, take the geary street bus (the 38) from south side of union square and travel all the way out to the cliff house. check out ocean beach or stop along the way to eat in our neighborhoods. most busy bus line in US> you can also stop along this route and check out japan town and eat great sushi--and check out the bookstore.

or something closer to downtown, take a cab up to coit tower--see the WPA murals inside then walk east to the bay down the filbert street steps--part of gold rush sf--little cottages and fine gardens down the hill and it leads you back to the embarcadero. check out the ferry building for foodie heaven. from the ferry building you could take a ferry to larkspur and back (wave at the san quentin prisoners)--don't get off the ferry, just a way to get out on the bay for cheap.

I don't recommend going to the Haight.

seattle also has some fine museums--burke museum at the U of Washington, asian art museum, museum of history and industry (local history). check out the experience music project if you like rock music and the science fiction museum is next door. take a ferry to bremerton and back from downtown. grab a picnic at the pike place market and walk down to the water and eat. or in the sculpture park. take a city bus to the university district and have some ethnic food. check out the locks...take the bus or a taxi.

there is lots to see and do--without an organized tour.

good luck

You can take Bart to 16th or 24th street stations and get off and instantly you will be in Sunny Mexico, on 24th, go to La Corneta and have a burrito and a beer, or on 16th, go to Poncho Villa and do the same. At least it would feel like you are in Mexico. Walk around and buy some souvenirs.

The Underground Seattle tour is a lot of fun. Pike Place Market is nice.

In both SF and Seattle, if you like baseball, check out the schedules to see if the Giants or Mariners are in town and game times work. Both are nice parks, but AT&T Park (SF) is one of my favorites - and I have seen 20 of them.

Personally, I would rather go to these cities.

If you're close enough to the monorail (and it's working), you can go to the science museum (in same square as the Needle and the EMP, which is one place I would like to return to Seattle to see).

When we were in Victoria a few years ago, it was pouring rain so we went to the Miniatures Museum. It's next to the Empress hotel.

More suggestions-

SFO: Exploratorium (very unique science museum), Fort Point, walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.

SEA: Museum of Flight, Pike Place Market.

Sorry to hear about the re-route...

How much is a taxi from the Pier to Butchart Gardens?

Would it be cheaper to rent a car?

Robb

Cab fare from the pier to Butchart Gardens will run about $50 each way, it is about a 45 min drive. A rental car will be cheaper or you may want to try CVS Cruise Victoria, which operates the shuttle from the pier to town. They do require you to transfer once downtown but will bring directly back to the ship from the Gardens:

http://www.cvscruisevictoria.com/

We are sorry that you plans have had to be changed but we will be delighted to have the opportunity to entertain you in Victoria and Vancouver. You will find a ton of information about both cities on this board but also on the Canada Board and the Alaska Board. We are looking forward to seeing you.:)

Went to the Exploratorium website. Sadly they are closed on Mondays.

More suggestions-

SFO: Exploratorium (very unique science museum), Fort Point, walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.

SEA: Museum of Flight, Pike Place Market.

Sorry to hear about the re-route...

the interior is closed mon-wed I think--but you can look down inside from the south end of the bridge.

there is a bus from the lower ft mason (near the piers)--just west of fisherman's wharf, aquatic park--the 28 bus takes you to the bridge toll plaza--for $1.50--has a 2 hour transfer. so you can come back on the same fare.

if you are brave, you can go swimming in aquatic park--when the tide comes in, it may be above 50 degrees!!

Monday, May 18 is Victoria Day (not named after the city, but after Queen Victoria). It's a holiday in Canada and there will be lots of things going on in Victoria around the Inner Harbour that you can enjoy.

We have a parade on the 18th, with many US bands participating. Some of them will be here a couple of days early and there are performances by the bands on the steps of Legislature over the weekend.

Not sure if any of the re-routed ships will be in Victoria over that weekend, but just wanted to mention this.

Thank you everyone! You have given me a lot to think about! The underground tour does sound interesting (I like History). Still disappointed but determined to make the best of it!

No doubt, making the mental change from resort 'hot' weather to west coast cool will be a big adjustment. But, I predict that you are going to find it to be a wonderful trip. If you have never been to Victoria, you are in for a treat.

I hope the weather is decent for you in Seattle - no promises! You will need to take a cab from Pier 91 to get anywhere and depending what your interests are there are plenty of options. The Woodland Park Zoo is north (http://www.zoo.org), you can take a cab to Pier 66 and take the elevator to the pedestrian overpass and walk over to the Pike Place Market, you can take a bus to Pioneer Square for Underground Tour then cab/bus to waterfront for Aquarium, lunch, touristy shopping. Check out Argosy Cruise website - maybe you want to tour the Ballard Locks or maybe a Duck tour and see the houseboats, etc. Or take the water taxi from near Red Robin on waterfront to West Seattle - have lunch at Salty's for best view of Seattle skyline......

Archived