Tell me it will be over by May 17th!

ameliabedilia

I'm scheduled for the May 17th sailing on the Splendor. Website just updated with only one stop in San Francisco. I do not want to be in cool temps for two extra sea days then go to SF! I would rather stay at sea in the warm air down south. I would rather even go to Catalina.

What do you all honestly think- if Mexico is still canceled by May 17th, will they get a better itinerary for the Splendor? Or, better yet- who thinks the scare will be over and we can go to Mexico?

Make me feel better.

I'm sorry, but, seriously?

How the heck would we know what may happen in another 2+ weeks?

Or did you just want some sort of reassurance that everything will be fine?

OK, here goes...

Don't worry! Everything will be fine! We'll all either be quarantined or in the hospital, or this will have run it's course by then.

There. Feel better? :p

The cruise lines are all scrambling right now.

I read on the RCCL board that they are doing SF, Seattle, Vancouver til June 14. One cruise will go to Astoria, OR.

At least it is summer and a lot of ships are up doing Alaska.

The weather today won't get above 70 in Catalina. No hot weather there.

Or, better yet- who thinks the scare will be over and we can go to Mexico?

Sorry, but there's no way to tell.

However, if the flu does spread through the general population, it will take months to run its course. The last 2 times this happened, in 1956 (H2N2) and 1968 (H3N2), it took 2 years until the epidemic was completely over.

I am wondering what the future holds too. I am going on a cruise with my 11 year old son on June 7th. I am wondering how to proceed. I am catching flack from my parents and flack from my friends about this flu. I teach. I am liable to catch this anywhere. What is everyone's opininon on this? Has any cruise line made any changes this far in advance about Mexico? I know we are all worried but I worry that the media has blown this out of proportion. Although, Texas had it's first reported death caused by swine flu. Jeeez, I paid on this vacation for almost a year...thoughts? Anyone?

My understanding on the Splendor is the SF only stop is only for the sailing that was underway when they decided to cancel the MR stops. They are to have an alternate itinerary up today. If you don't like the itinerary, you can reschedule. We are booked on this Sunday's sailing. We will be on the ship come rain or come shine! If they go to Seattle, our daughter is there. We may not have warm weather, but we get to see our daughter! Always an upside to everything.

... Jeeez, I paid on this vacation for almost a year...thoughts? Anyone?

I think you should go.

1) If the flu is completely contained by June, it's a moot issue.

2) If the flu is still spreading, but very localized, the ships will most likely avoid the problem areas.

3) If the flu has spread to the general population like in 1968 (ie the Hong Kong Flu), you aren't going to be at any greater risk on vacation than not.

For reference, last time this happened, 15% of the population ended up getting sick over a 2 year period, and 0.1% died (33,800 out of 30 million) in the US.

Royal Caribbean's Mariner Of The Seas, which does the same ports as the Splendor, will be doing San Francisco/Seattle/Victoria for ALL departures up to and including June 14. (with the exception of their May 10 sailing, which has Astoria, Oregon, instead of San Fran).

I predict in Carnival's 5pm announcement today, it will be roughly the same thing. I doubt ANY May Splendor sailings will be doing the Mexican Riviera anymore.

I'm scheduled for the May 17th sailing on the Splendor. Website just updated with only one stop in San Francisco. I do not want to be in cool temps for two extra sea days then go to SF! I would rather stay at sea in the warm air down south. I would rather even go to Catalina.

What do you all honestly think- if Mexico is still canceled by May 17th, will they get a better itinerary for the Splendor? Or, better yet- who thinks the scare will be over and we can go to Mexico?

Make me feel better.

OP, have you seen this:

Miami - April 28th 5:00 PM

We have decided to cancel all calls at Mexican ports for all current sailings and all voyages departing on Thursday, April 30th through Monday, May 4th. In many cases, we will be able to substitute the cancelled call with an alternative port. Additionally, we are working on alternatives for those itineraries impacted by this decision. Full details will be available by 5pm tomorrow. Please continue to check back as we will provide the latest information online at carnival.com. In the unlikely event that our new itinerary options are not to your liking, we will also give you the opportunity to reschedule your cruise at a later date. Those details will also be made available tomorrow.

Our primary concern is your safety. We will continue to monitor the situation and will keep you updated if and when changes are made.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you aboard your "Fun Ship" cruise.

Keep watching the Carnival website for updates, but it appears that they would let you reschedule your cruise if the new itinerary didn't appeal to you.

Make me feel better.

No one knows how this is going to play out.

Carnival is giving everyone the option to reschedule to a later date.

Only you can make a decision for yourself and your family.

Our opinion is just that..... I would never make a decision based on someone else's opinion (short of a trained medical professional).

Hope that makes you feel a little better...

We're also sailing on the 17th, but on the Valor to the W. Caribbean. So far I've been extremely impressed with the way Carnival has handled things.

I was hoping we'd just get an extra day at sea instead of Cozumel, but they seem to have added Key West as a fourth port! I'm just hoping they don't cancel the cruise altogether because our flights are non-refundable and I don't really want to spend the week in Miami.

Maybe you could switch to a different cruise? I believe they are offering that option as well. Maybe our itinerary would be more desirable?

It's still too soon to tell what they will do for our sailing, but I'd prefer that they play it safe...

Thanks everyone,

Even those that teased me for my post :).

This is a family reunion type of cruise and almost half the people live in the Sacramento/SF area.The rest of us are flying in from other places. My family is flying in from Denver- It snowed here on Monday! I need to be warm. I just think that itinerary doesn't sound the best for 9 kids that are ready to swim and be outside. If it were just couples going I would actually be fine with a northwest cruise.

We will probably reschedule. We are flying southwest and I can just keep my funds in their account to use later, so that made me feel better. It's just frustrating because there are so many of us to reschedule and make it work again. Oh well- Life is an adventure!

We're also sailing on the 17th, but on the Valor to the W. Caribbean. So far I've been extremely impressed with the way Carnival has handled things.

I was hoping we'd just get an extra day at sea instead of Cozumel, but they seem to have added Key West as a fourth port! I'm just hoping they don't cancel the cruise altogether because our flights are non-refundable and I don't really want to spend the week in Miami.

Maybe you could switch to a different cruise? I believe they are offering that option as well. Maybe our itinerary would be more desirable?

It's still too soon to tell what they will do for our sailing, but I'd prefer that they play it safe...

I would love your itinerary. The main reason we're doing west coast is that so many people in our trip live in California already, and it saved a ton in airfare. I would rather play it safe myself and I am glad Carnival is being careful. A few of my family members are divorced and need permission from the ex's to take the kids anyway. I could definitely see that becoming an issue if they felt anyone was putting

the kids in danger.

I've been thinking all day that if this gets worse here in the U.S., I don't think the islands will be willing to accept a ship full of possible sick passengers that could bring it to their country. Everyone seems to be scrambling to figure out which port besides Mexico they will get to go to, but I haven't seen anyone discuss this scenario.

Archived