Newbie - Want scenery but limited budget

Nutbunch

Hi all,

I've been reading and serching and am in awe of some of your vacations, planned and taken.

I'm traveling with My DH, a 12yr DD, 15YR DS and grandparents (late 60's).

We are footing the bill for all and need the cheapest option. So looks like with $160 airfare to Seattle vs $500 to Vancouver. Seattle will be our roundtrip port.

I'm after scenery more than port experience. Although I imagine we'll buy 1 -2 shore excursions, because, really, when are we going to get the chance again.

I'm wondering if you all can help me decide. NCL seems cheapest cruising especially the Star to Sawyer Glacier. However I read here that other than the fiord, it's not that scenic. Would you suggest the Pearl to Glacier Bay. or Celebrity or HAL or Royal?

I Like the freestyle option on NCL, but am not opposed to traditional style.

Before this we've only been on a 3 day cruise to Ensenada Mexico. Where me and DD got sea sick.

Thank you so much for any help!

You might want to look at Princess. They have Anytime Dining and some reasonable prices. The scenery in Alaska is fantastic.

The Great Alaskan Tour Saver http://www.toursaver.com/ saved us on shore excursions with buy one get one free offers. I understand the Northern Lights http://www.alaskadiscountcoupons.com/ does the same.

I've been seeing some amazing prices for Alaska cruises on banner ads here on Cruise Critic... I think it was HAL? If budget is a concern, you may wish to check them out. Roundtrips from Seattle starting at $649. Depending on the sailing, there may be deals on 3rd/4th person in a cabin, and for seniors.

I just checked that major travel site that uses the lawn gnome in its commercials, and it's showing a surprisingly good rate for Celebrity out of Seattle as well, for the 29 May and 18 Sept cruises.

For six people, you'll need at least two cabins. On some lines, all you need is one person in a cabin to qualify for a discount, and some lines allow you to be a little creative with the booking - one of the grandparents booked in each cabin, but then they'll switch the keys etc around once you're on board so they can be in the same cabin (assuming, of course, that they want to be! :) )

I'm traveling with My DH, a 12yr DD, 15YR DS and grandparents (late 60's).

I'm after scenery more than port experience. Although I imagine we'll buy 1 -2 shore excursions, because, really, when are we going to get the chance again.

I'm wondering if you all can help me decide. NCL seems cheapest cruising especially the Star to Sawyer Glacier. However I read here that other than the fiord, it's not that scenic. Would you suggest the Pearl to Glacier Bay.

I've not been to Sawyer Glacier but I can say Glacier Bay was a real highlight of our 07 cruise and had a lot to do with us booking the cruise we are going on this year. I really wanted to see Hubbard but just the outside chance of not getting close enough to see the glacier calving was a deal breaker for us. The hours in port are fine with both the Star and the Pearl.

You really don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy the ports and get a feel for Alaska. The drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake was about $125.00 for the 7 we had last time and we will be doing the same basic drive again this year, (in my opinion this is a do not miss). Of course my opinion and 4 quarters will get you a dollar and not much else.

The whale watch in Juneau was my favorite with the Emerald Lake drive 2nd then the Misty Fjords flight (which was excellent but the scenery just didn't WOW me) third. My wife liked the flight to Misty Fjords best, the Emerald Lake drive second then the Whale watch so there you go with two different opinions already in just this post :eek:.

Before this we've only been on a 3 day cruise to Ensenada Mexico. Where me and DD got sea sick.

Thank you so much for any help!

I'm afraid the Seattle cruises have a much better chance of seeing rough water than the Vancouver cruises (at least for a lot longer period of time).

Hi all,

We are footing the bill for all and need the cheapest option. So looks like with $160 airfare to Seattle vs $500 to Vancouver. Seattle will be our roundtrip port.

I'm after scenery more than port experience.

I'm wondering if you all can help me decide. NCL seems cheapest cruising especially the Star to Sawyer Glacier. However I read here that other than the fiord, it's not that scenic. Would you suggest the Pearl to Glacier Bay. or Celebrity or HAL or Royal?

If you are after scenery, you really should take another look at sailings out of Vancouver. Have you looked into flying into Seattle and then the train or shuttle to Vancouver?

Holland has a very scenic roundtrip out of Vancouver. It goes to both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjord.

Personally, if I was after a scenic sailing, I would not go on one that just went to Tracy Arm Fjord. There is a good chance that you will not get to the glaciers in the fjord. Since you are after scenery, which I assume means some glaciers included, you would be quite disapointed.

If you decide to stick with Seattle, then I would definitely pick a cruise that goes to either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier.

Check with your doctor and be prepared with medications this time around. DH and I were once VERY SEA SICK on a ferry across Lake Michigan. I did not want a repeat performance of that experience. With my doc's approval, I used bonine everynight, starting the day before the cruise, and 2 ginger root capsules whenever I got queasy (which I did). That ginger root worked like a charm for me. So, check with your doc, come prepared and you should have a great cruise.

With a priority of the "most scenery", round trip Seattle, has the least. A car rental, bus, Amtrak are all options for transfers between Seattle and Vancouver. Does usually also require and extra day- with the added expense. I would think, perhaps, the grandparents can offer some of their funds???

Of your choices, with NCL Star- it is definately way superior to add on their Tracy Arm boat tour- the difference is significant and a "must do" in my opinion. Unfortunately it's in the $190pp range. So with that consideration, the Pearl may be the better option with Glacier Bay. HAL, has excellent itineraries with Sitka and Glacier Bay.

Overall, touring is necessary. The experience from the ship, is a very small part of the overall touring. Getting out and about in ports, is vitally necessary, again, my opinion.

Inside cabins are the way to go for cost savings.

Archived