Cabin Upgrade?

We booked Mariner Alaska cruise August 5 a few weeks ago. Some friends have decided to join us on the same cruise so they called today to book with their travel agent. They got the same price as us (to the penny), but we booked an H category cabin and they were upgraded to an F category for the same amount. This is apparently a two category upgrade. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why they were upgraded? Is there much difference? I know the cabins themselves are identical in size. The G & H cabins are on deck 7 and the F categories are on deck 8, one category up. Should I ask my travel agent to try and get us upgraded? Does anyone know how this works?

If you are happy with your cabin on deck 7 then why bother asking for the upgrade to deck 8. Cabins are exactly the same and the only difference is the deck level.

As to why your friends got a 2 Cat upgrade it could be for lots of different reasons. Just one reason could be that the only category available when they booked was an H guaranteee at that point in time and then cabins became available and they were bumped up. Personally unless you are going for the higher and more expensive butler category suites I would stay on deck 7 as it's the best deck on the ship for the lower category cabins.

I don't think you have lost out on anything. Deck 7 and Cat H on the Mariner would be my first pick.

Pat

Carol, it's not so much the category of the cabin but the location of the cabin. If you're in an H you may be in the aft part of the ship. Most people prefer midship cabins. My advice would be to see if you could get a free upgrade to a midship cabin. One of the little secrets of cruise ship pricing is that cruise lines charge more for the same cabin on a higher deck, but in reality you feel less motion of the ship on the lower decks. Tom.

On the Mariner, the H cabins (there are only 8) are all mid-ship. Since I have a tendancy to get seasick, I thought it would be the best location since it is on the lowest cabin deck level. The cabin next to me is a G cabin so I think it's a good choice overall. Thanks to everyone's input I think I'll stick with what I have. First cruise on Regent and very excited! :)

I'm not sure why my friends got the two category upgrade...I am positive it's not a guaranty situation. They have cruised with Regent before (once) so maybe that's why...or as somebody said, maybe that was all that was available.

I was upgraded to a D on my first AK cruise. The 2nd time we were in Alaska, we were in G right next to H - I did a Panama Canal in H - best location on the ship and if seasickness is an issue, mid ship and low is where you want to be. Don't move - an upgrade it's not really. The Mariner is my favorite ship.

Archived