If Celebrity cancels but insurance paid for

CLEMM

If Celebrity cancels a cruise more than a year prior to sailing, but I have already paid for the insurance, can I get my insurance money back? With the Solstice TA's for 2010 possibly cancelled I am concerned about my cruise of the Holy Land for Oct. 2010. I booked it over a month ago and had to pay for the insurance right away in order to have pre existing conditions covered. So if Celebrity cancels the cruise, what are my options for getting my 600 dollar insurance premium back? I would book another cruise if the itinerary were right, but what if there wasn't anything that was right, or what if the timing was different. Has this ever happened to anyone? Advice? Suggestions?

I am concerned because the TA's to and from Europe next year have disappeared from the web site and the speculation is that Solstice may be staying in North America instead of going to Europe. If that is the case then my cruise will be cancelled. People who have booked the TA's can't seem to get any information other than they are not currently accepting bookings for the TA's.

CLEMM that normally happens when there is a price change in the system.... but nothing to worry about yet. Even if they do keep the Solstice in the Carrib. They will porbably replace it with another ship. In fact the way it seems this particular cruise was rather popular.

Don't panic right now WAIT to see exactly what the story is.

I didn't buy it from the cruise line. I bought it from a well know travel insurance company. I had to buy it early becasue I needed pre existing conditions to be covered and they would only cover those if the insurance is purchased within 21 days of booking. I would sure hate to be out 600 dollars.

Don't know which company you purchased it from, but I know Travel Guard allows you to roll it over to another trip in the future. There is a very minimal cost to do this but it's nice to know you won't lose the money.

Clemm,

I posted a reply on your other post to let you know that there are a couple of companies that waive pre-existing conditions, etc. if you purchase your trip insurance within 48 hours of final payment. We started using this option about 2 years ago because of the very issue you raise. I know that doesn't help you now, but in the future .....

I usually buy my insurance from CSA. I forgot their policy on pre-existing illness. I often book a cruise a year in advance (like I did for the Equinox) and am reluctant to pay the cruise line for insurance that early. I still do not know for sure if you (or they) cancel, do you also lose your insurance fees.

Clemm,

I posted a reply on your other post to let you know that there are a couple of companies that waive pre-existing conditions, etc. if you purchase your trip insurance within 48 hours of final payment. We started using this option about 2 years ago because of the very issue you raise. I know that doesn't help you now, but in the future .....

Hi Eightydays,

Which trip insurance plans let someone buy it no later than 48 hours after the final payment's made & still waive the pre-existing conditions exclusion?

We cancelled a cruise ourselves, and had purchased insurance with Travel Guard. Though we could not get a refund of the insurance, we were allowed to roll over a portion of it to cover a land based vacation we selected instead of the cruise-and were able to use the origional date of deposit for the cruise in order to keep our pre-existing condition waiver. Since the insurance cost of the land based trip was less than that of the cruise, we received a voucher for the difference, good for two years. So, we really did not lose the value of the insurance, but don't expect a cash refund either. We felt this was more than fair.

Most travel insurance comp[aies require you buy pre-existing coverage within 14 to 30 days of first payment.

But HTH Worldwide lets you buy coverage at the time final payment is made. I have never used them and have no knowledge of their reliability or fees.

http://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/1_benefits_protector.cfm

Most travel insurance comp[aies require you buy pre-existing coverage within 14 to 30 days of first payment.

But HTH Worldwide lets you buy coverage at the time final payment is made. I have never used them and have no knowledge of their reliability or fees.

http://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/1_benefits_protector.cfm

Both CSA and HTH have policies that waive pre-existing conditions if purchased no later than 24 hours after final payment. They both have good reputations. I've taken out policies from both of them and thought their pricing was fair.

Dave

If Celebrity cancels a cruise more than a year prior to sailing, but I have already paid for the insurance, can I get my insurance money back? Has this ever happened to anyone? Advice? Suggestions?

We were booked on a 9 night Southern Caribbean cruise on Century for March 2006. In July 2005, Celebrity changed the itinerary to a 7 day Western Caribbean, which we chose not to take. Our insurance was not Celebrity's, but was purchased through our TA. Our insurance premium was promptly refunded... it took quite a while (months) for Celebrity to refund our $900 deposit.

My advice would be to contact the insurance company (or the TA you used to purchase the insurance) and ask.

I am sorry this has happened to you... I can relate cause I found out about our cruise changing here on cc before Celebrity contacted me.

Well I certainly will be researching them since I think Celebrity just screwed me out of about 600 bucks!

When I increased my insurance due to tours etc on my cruise, they re-wrote the policy and said I was still covered pre-existing cond. as I had orig. had it. BUT he surprised me by telling me...we could cancel this policy up until the day we were to leave, and get refund. Call your insurance co. and ask. If you had a handling fee or something of that sort, that might not be refundable.

Archived